Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Girl with the dragon tatoo - Steig Larrson

Options
  • 21-09-2009 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

The Girl with the dragon tatoo .. aka Millenium I ...

part I of the trilogy _Millenium_ series ...

excellent book , just finished reading it there, anyone else read it ?

Just ordered the 2nd one (Girl who played with Fire) ...looking forward to reading it ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

berengar wrote: »
    The Girl with the dragon tatoo .. aka Millenium I ...

part I of the trilogy _Millenium_ series ...

excellent book , just finished reading it there, anyone else read it ?

Just ordered the 2nd one (Girl who played with Fire) ...looking forward to reading it ..

Fantastic - i've read both and can't wait for the third to be released!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Loved the girl with the dragon tattoo, but personally found that the girl who played with fire was better.

Really looking forward to the last one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭mountain

you dont have long to wait,
    the Girl who kicked the Hornets Nest" is due out on the 1st Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Just finished it. Thought it was good enough for what it was. Found it a little too predictable, saw both endings coming. Don't think I'll read the other two books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

ADTR wrote: »
    Just finished it. Thought it was good enough for what it was. Found it a little too predictable, saw both endings coming. Don't think I'll read the other two books.

+1 on this. Wouldn't be the kind of thing I'd normally read though. I mean it was alright, but a bit longwinded and suffered from irrelevant detail at times. If it was a tighter 300 page length novel it could have worked much better imo. Won't be reading the other two I imagine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

i just bought the 'girl who kicked the hornets nest' at the weekend after seeing it got very good reviews

i then realised after buying it that it is a sequel to 'girl with dragon tatoo'
    Would it be best that i buy this book and read that or will i actually get the gist of the book i bought? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is this a fantasy trilogy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Is this a fantasy trilogy?

No it's a crime trilogy.

Afaik they have to be read in order - particularly the 2nd & 3rd books, as they follow on from each other (or so I have been told!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Have read the first two and enjoyed them both. Part of this though was they are based on Stockholm and referenced places I have been which I liked.

I did not enjoy the 2nd one as much as the 1st. I have picked up the 3rd though on its recent translation and just started it

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

I've really enjoyed the first two although I thought the ending to the first was a little obvious. The books badly need to be edited, could easily cut a 100 odd pages off each. Gonna wait until the last one becomes available in mass market paperback, that 17 euro trade paperback wouldn't even fit in my bag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I've really enjoyed the first two although I thought the ending to the first was a little obvious. The books badly need to be edited, could easily cut a 100 odd pages off each. Gonna wait until the last one becomes available in mass market paperback, that 17 euro trade paperback wouldn't even fit in my bag!

I have read the 3rd book, enjoyed it, easy to read etc but thought the story got a bit lazy - would still definitely recomend the trilogy.

By the way, picked up book in Easons at €12.99, you could also get a bigger bag:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Gonna wait until the last one becomes available in mass market paperback, that 17 euro trade paperback wouldn't even fit in my bag!

It's £9.49 for hardcover version on Amazon with free delivery if your order is £25 or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Half way through the third book now- fantastic trilogy, pity he died so young apparently he had 10 of them planned, although 10 does seem a bit excessive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    Half way through the third book now- fantastic trilogy, pity he died so young apparently he had 10 of them planned, although 10 does seem a bit excessive to me.

2nd book was the best, 3rd was a bit weak overall, all comes together too easily

Still maintain though a great concept and really enjoyed the triology - actually glad though there weren't 10 of them - just where could this story go - apart I guess from Eastern Europe:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Ive finished the book two days ago and i must say, im still stunned.
    Surely Blomkvist
    had to ride Harriet Vagner somewhere along the way.
    Larsson prob just forgot to include this inevitable eventuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Good read - first 100 pages a bit slow though and some of the translation didn't come across so well. Will definitely get the other two.

something like €5 in Tesco. Although third book available in Tescos 2nd isn't. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I picked this up in a charity shop for €2. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it. I didn't like it all that much. The translation was very clunky at times and as someone else said it could have done with a good bit of editing. I couldn't really warm to the characters either. I got a loan of the last two in the trilogy and I will read them at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I have only read the first one and I have to say, I really didn't get all the hype. Perhaps it was the translation but it seemed poorly written.

I had the ending sussed quite early on too and I agree that I didn't warm to any of the characters. I didn't really care about them, I guess.

I'll probably get around to the other two at some point but for now there are plenty of other books much higher on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I watched the Swedish movie, is it close to the book at all? It was good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I started this book and really didn't like it much, I'd very rarely give up on a book that early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Read the first 2 and enjoyed them, will be getting the 3rd shortly. Lets be clear; they are not fantastic books but they do tell a good story and the pace and action is generally quite good.

I was surprised to find myself enjoying it as normally when a book or series is this popular (dare i mention the Da Vinci code) they are generally terrible. I enjoyed them though for what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I avoided these books for ages and then decided that there must be something in them that was making them so popular. I have just finished the 2nd one, The Girl Who Played With Fire, a few minutes ago.

They could have done with some editing. I had to laugh at times during the first one when whole paragraphs would be devoted to the spec of the PC that the character was considering buying. And in the second book, similar treatment is given to a character's Ikea shopping list when kitting out an apartment.

But apart from this, I could tell from the first few pages of the second book that the writing was a bit more polished. And the character really develops. The story in Book 2 is really gripping. I got 4 hours sleep last night because I was nearing the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'm considering getting into this, someone I know is on my case... Would you recommend it? I've never read a crime novel and rarely read thrillers (And those that I do are usually historical like Robert Harris)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I was also a bit cautious with these books for awhile as I am not a big fan of crime books, but as usual one of my friends bragged and bragged about them and I gave in and bought the the first two in HMV one day. After reading the first one I was amazed it was really hard not to put it down I found myself up at 2 in the morning most night while reading. I just finished the 2nd book but this time I took my time and again I thought it was brilliant.

I am very excited about starting the 3rd one but going to give my brain a rest for a day or two before I go mental. I would definitely recommend these books even if you don't read a lot of crime. Very good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I was amazed it was really hard not to put it down

What a lovely Freudian slip :D I wish i had put them down too!

I've read all three books with without spoiling the last for you i found it to be the best of the three. Personally i thought each book was too long by half and included too many pointless story arcs, too much mindless and intricate detail and too much sex for the sake of it.

I'm glad i read them so i never have to read them again and when a friend is telling me how 'awesome/amazing' the books are i can laugh and pour scorn. I honestly believe these books are over-rated and a lot of the praise they get are from people who are amazed that they read a 'long' book.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YouThinkThat

I just finished the 3rd book last night and am sorry that there arent any more for me to get my teeth into. I thought the court case description at the end was fab (I wont expand for those of you that havent read it yet!). Overall I have to say that I loved all 3, although the volume of characters (and the pronunciation of their names!) sometimes made it a challenge to remember who's who - particularly in the 3rd book. For those of you who have read the 1st and 2nd Id recommend you go for the hat-trick: you wont be disappointed.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I thought the first book was really good, but the plot got a bit fantastical in books two and three. I agree with a poster above, the books are good but not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I've read them in the original Swedish. Live there (here?).

Larsson died before they were published. So I don't think they did much editing on them. The books could have each be about a hundred pages shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Just bought this gonna start reading it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Enjoyed the books, but all of them suffered from having way too much back story and tangents that really didn't need to be there. Guessed the ending of the 1st early on, and the 3rd dragged the most of the 3 although it was the best by a mile.

I didn't hate the characters, but what struck me most about the books was none of them were likable in the least, they all had their flaws. I wanted to slap Lisbeth and kick Kalle f**king Blomkvist in the balls.

Advertisement