Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i need some help with this

Options
  • 21-09-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi,
    i would really like someone to tell me what this is.

ok the last few nights im been hearing this poppong noise in my house and its starting to freak me out as i live on my own with my daughter, whatever it is its very close to me, i recon its a the spirit of my nan as iv bin going through a bit of a rough patch.

just wonder has anyone any info on this,
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

popping noises can be caused by a great many things. you'll have to approach it like sherlock holmes ... have you added anything new to your home, maybe put down a new floor, maybe something wooden (though not necessarily wooden) - alternatively how used to the house are you? could this be your heating system, normal house noises etc etc?

You have to consider all those possibilities (and more) before even considering anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 civic89

im living here 6 months, no change to anything....and its only started happening in the last week since my ex moved out i know it sounds funny nothins ever left on but im hearing this just sitting in silence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Have you recently started using the central heating again, for instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 civic89

nope its used all the time so its not that,
    everythings being used same as before.
    i feel very unsafe here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Have you recently started using the central heating again, for instance?

Time to bleed the rads? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

What rooms do you hear it in?

I can't for the life of me understand why one of your first opinions on what it could be is that it's a ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Could you record the noise and put it up here. Remember the noise could be coming from the house or apartment next door. As someone else said there's plenty of possible explainations.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

Need to check all possibilities of natural explanations before you can think paranormal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Is the sound when your just dosing off or when your wide awake walking round? Where does the sound seem to centre round, any recent work done on the house or your neighbours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 D15MAN

If it is only happening recently then it could just be the change in the weather making the floorboards and other wood items retract / expand. It could also be something to do with the plumping in your house. Failing that, call in the ghost buster J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jennybgood

Rather than thinking of ghosts etc - you mentioned your ex just left you - might your ex have left something behind to drive you potty??? maybe some small hidden device?? just a thought. either way you need to do as suggested and narrow it down to area etc. We had a funny sound in our house at night like rushing water yet all taps were off and no leak in tank so my husband discovered, after some time, it was a small valve in the downstairs toilet needed adjusting - just this one small leakage ( or whatever ) caused quite a noise at night when the rest of the house was silent. Also check out any radio alarm in the room - sometime it can be the radio not switched off properly that makes funny noises. Lookin fwd to hearing what the cultprit is !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

If its a popping sound, make sure you especially look for popping devices ;)

Grey water tanks are kept in attics of old houses, and the pop you might be hearing is from that. My nan has one in her house and for years I refused to believe it was the tank because it just DIDNT sound like it could possibly be a result of water, It sounded like a crystal clear pop sound :) not a splosh splash or splish sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

OH Btw,

Lastnight I was lying in bed and I heard a massive popping sound, After several attempts I found out the source,

It was a 2 litre lucosade bottle that I had crunched with me hand when I was closing it (Habbit of closing too tight). as the air was being sucked in the bottle reforming to its natural shape ,this was making it pop.

Is it possible thats it your babys bottles are left in the room?
    The smaller size of the bottle would also explain a more definitive popping sound as the larger 2 litre bottle sounded dull and hollow.

Just a tought

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

OP, first off, you have nothing to fear. Its just a sound.

You say you feel your nan around, if you do, then why fear her? She would never wish that. The 'unsafe' feeling you have comes from you, it is not within your surroundings, you are as safe there as you always were.

Secondly, your ex has just left, so you are dealing with the upheaval of that, as well as coping with being alone at night now. That could be making you more edgy and sensitive to noises than usual.

Advertisement