Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners log

Options
  • 21-09-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

I've decided to start a log, to keep me motivated. I'm new to this running lark, and a bit clueless about it :o I did a 10KM run a week ago, and did it in 55.36 mins. Doing another one this weekend and hoping to complete it in the same time.

I do a Spin class on Mondays, and try to run three times a week (Tues/Thurs/Sat) or (Wed/Fri/Sun). Is three times a week enough? Should I be aiming for at least four? Any advice would be great. I'm not ever going to run a marathon, but I would like to be able to manage 10 miles, in a decent time, someday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Best of luck with your log. I find mine really useful for staying focused and to look back on previous runs. I used struggle with regular 3 mile runs including walk breaks but can now run 4 miles fairly comfortably and have cut out the walks. I'm still slow but I'll never be competing against anyone else, only myself, so as long as I'm improving I'm happy! What distances do you cover on your runs?

Have you received anything about Dungarvan this weekend yet? Hoping to get an info pack early this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey there :)

I've been doing 5 miles 3 times a week since. Do you think 3 times is enough, or should I be doing at leat 4? I also do 1 spin class a week.

I'm exactly the same as you, the only person I want to compete against is myself :D

I haven't received the pack yet, but they said they will be posting them out early this week, so hopefully we'll see something soon. I don't know Dungarvan at all really, only the outskirts of the town. I don't really like the idea of not knowing the route well, iykwim. With the last run, at leat I knew once I got over the top of Grange, I'd be ok ;)

21/09/09 - 1 hour spin class

22/09/09 - 9km run. Hated the first 3km, but got into it after that and enjoyed it.

23/09/09 - felt a headcold coming on, so I didn't get out for a run. Hope to get out this evening after work.

edited my time, as I think I may have f*cked up on that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hae you considered following a structured training plan? Even if you only plan on running against yourself, a structure plan answers question for you, like:
    Should I run x mile y number of times per week?
    How do I go from 10k to 10 miles?
    How do I avoid injury?
    How can I get faster?
    etc.

Halhigdon.com is a great place to start, and has programs aimed at many levels and disances.

Going from 10k in 55 mins to 9k in 40 is phenomenal (a 10 minute improvement in your 10k time). Best of luck!

Thanks very much for that link Krusty :) I'm off to have a look at it now.

I won't ever be competing against anyone, only myself. I'm doing a 10KM run for charity on Sunday, and want to better my 55mins of two weeks ago!!

• Advertisement

22/09/09 - 9km run. Hated the first 3km, but got into it after that and enjoyed it.

24/09/09 - 7km run. I really struggled, and didn't enjoy it at all. I feel I'm going backwards instead of improving. Dreading Sundays 10Km now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'll be fine on Sunday. Good luck :)

You'll be fine on Sunday. Good luck :)

Thanks rainbow kirby, I wish I shared your positivity :o

I'm not really one to be giving advice because I'm really only a beginner to this lark myself but from experience, I get bad days and good days during the week too. On Wednesday of this week I had an awful run, everything hurt right from the beginning but I kept at it. I had a rest day yesterday and feel good again today. Don't let one bad run throw you off, you've been doing really well. Your times are great too. You'll be fine on Sunday. Don't over think it, just get out and enjoy it. That's my plan :)

Thanks luvlylady - I think I will go for an easy 3 mile this evening on the flat, and that might put me in the right frame of mind. I'll rest tomorrow, and hope I'll get through Sunday.

You're training is going really great, you must be getting great sense of achievement from it.

Best of luck for Sunday :)

• Advertisement

24/09/09 - 7km run. I really struggled, and didn't enjoy it at all. I feel I'm going backwards instead of improving. Dreading Sundays 10Km now :(

25/09/09 - 7km run. Not too bad (didn't hurt as much as the previous day).

27/09/09 - 10km mini marathon - really enjoyed it (mostly) and did it in 53 mins. It has me thinking again about the 10 mile race next month for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Good running, well done.
    What was the 10k course like? Did many do it?

Thanks, I'm not exactly a fast runner, more like a steady jogger :o but I did enjoy it.

There seemed to be a decent crowd I'd say about 500. The course started up from the Park Hotel, and went out past the playing field, out the countryside past Kielys horseyard (I think :confused:). We were up and down narrow boreens, and came out on the N25 and we finished up past Microchem in the industrial estate.

My description/directions are bad, but hopefully you get the gist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RubyK wrote: »
    27/09/09 - 10km mini marathon - really enjoyed it (mostly) and did it in 53 mins. It has me thinking again about the 10 mile race next month for charity.
    Well done :)

You *know* you want to do the 10-miler. If you have a few weeks, just stretch out one run a week beyond the 10km distance - maybe try and get up to about 14-15km before it. You'll be fine, it's not as much of a jump as you think!

You *know* you want to do the 10-miler. If you have a few weeks, just stretch out one run a week beyond the 10km distance - maybe try and get up to about 14-15km before it. You'll be fine, it's not as much of a jump as you think!

:D yes you're right, I do!!

Now I just have the task of upping my distance, and raising €250.

Well done on improving your time yesterday. I enjoyed the run and was glad to have the weather much cooler than the fun run a couple of weeks ago. So the 10 miler is the next one for you too? The route should be finalised by Wednesday and will be on the WLR website from then. I'll see how scary it looks and will decide then whether or not I'll chance it!

Yep, the 10 miles is the next one for me. I'm going to pick up an entry form from AIB later today. It will be the last race I do before the Winter League. The thing that is pushing me towards the 10 miles, is the fact that it is for charity, and there will be plenty of people walking/jogging, so I don't think it will be too presurised iykwim :) It's more about fundraising.

Monday 28/09 - 1 hr spinning class

Tuesday 29/09 - 8.8KM run in 48 mins. Enjoyed it, I didn't struggle like last week :o and got up a killer hill (just about)

Wednesday 30/09 - rest day.

Tuesday 29/09 - 8.8KM run in 48 mins. Enjoyed it, I didn't struggle like last week :o and got up a killer hill (just about)

Wednesday 30/09 - rest day

Thursday 01/10 - 8 mile run. The first 5 miles were good and enjoyable, then mile 6 & 7 were the complete opposite, and I had to stop, twice, as I felt awful :( Mile 8 was fine, but that's because I could see my housing estate, off in the distance, and couldn't wait to get home!!

Wednesday 30/09 - rest day

Thursday 01/10 - 8 mile run. The first 5 miles were good and enjoyable, then mile 6 & 7 were the complete opposite, and I had to stop, twice, as I felt awful :( Mile 8 was fine, but that's because I could see my housing estate, off in the distance, and couldn't wait to get home!!

Saturday 03/10 - 8.5 mile run. Wasn't as bad as Thursday.

Sunday 04/10 - 4.2 miles. Disaster. I was woeful. One step forward, and two steps back. :(

• Advertisement

Less than two weeks to the 10 miler, yikes, this week better be easier than last week.

Monday 05/10 - 1 hr spin class.

Tuesday 06/10 - rest day.

Less than two weeks to the 10 miler, yikes, this week better be easier than last week.

Wednesday 07/10 - 7.5 miles. Enjoyed most of it, the killer hill is still tough, but no as tough as a few weeks ago. Took me 1 hr 10 mins. My speed is not improving at all.

Wednesday 07/10 - 7.5 miles. Enjoyed most of it, the killer hill is still tough, but no as tough as a few weeks ago. Took me 1 hr 10 mins. My speed is not improving at all.

Thursday 08/10 - 7.75 miles. Slow but not too painful.

Friday 09/10 - rest day.

Today - 8 miles. The worst 8 miles of my running life. It was horrendous. My legs just wouldn't work, a voice in my head saying "what the hell are you doing this for" :( I stopped and started, ran out of water after 5 miles. I feel awful now, and have no idea how I'm going to do 10 miles tomorrow week.

Instead of improving, I am seriously going backwards. I was so looking forward to my run today, and it turns out to be disastrous.

Have you had a look at or are you following any training plans? Any of them that I have looked at, and indeed the one I am following, advise shorter faster runs during the week and one long run at the weekend. You're doing a fair bit of mileage each week when you're only starting off. Maybe shorten the mid week runs for a couple of weeks and you'll have more in the tank for the long runs at the weekend. That's what I'm doing anyway and it works for me!

Thanks luvlylady, I'm probably going at it the wrong way alright :confused: I just feel under pressure to put in the miles before Sunday.

I'm going to take it handy enough this week, and hope for the best on Sunday (but I am dreading it :().

You're training is going really well, you must be looking forward to the Run for Life.

Weather forecast seems good right up to Sunday, so fingers crossed for a calm clear day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Better to be undertrained than overtrained Ruby.

By running 7/8 miles tue and agin the foillowing day and day after that you are not letting your body get used to it and will find it harder. Runnersworld.com do plans for you on any mileage base. Few short runs mid week follwed by a long runn the weekend would be, imo , a smarter way around it, at least untill your body has adapted and remember increasing mileage by more than 10% a week = eventual injury!

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks luvlylady, I'm probably going at it the wrong way alright :confused: I just feel under pressure to put in the miles before Sunday.

I'm going to take it handy enough this week, and hope for the best on Sunday (but I am dreading it :().

You're training is going really well, you must be looking forward to the Run for Life.

Weather forecast seems good right up to Sunday, so fingers crossed for a calm clear day.

I'm looking forward to it alright but I'll be nervous at the same time. My run on Friday took in a stretch of the Cork Road, passing the WIT, and Saturday took in most of the Outer Ring Road. Both of these are in the route for Sunday's run and I can tell you they were a challenge! For every uphill there's a downhill, that's what I keep telling myself! Should be a good day. Take it a bit easier this week and you should be fine for Sunday.

luvlylady wrote: »
    My run on Friday took in a stretch of the Cork Road, passing the WIT, and Saturday took in most of the Outer Ring Road. Both of these are in the route for Sunday's run and I can tell you they were a challenge!

Fair dues to you luvlylady!!

When I heard the route first, I thought it sounded ok, but I've since realised that it's going to be pretty tough. The Cork Rd from the RSC is a right drag, and again the other Ring Road another pain :eek:

I'm not looking foward to it at all. I've banned my husband from coming to see me cross/crawl over the line :o

• Advertisement

Monday 12/10 - 1 hr spinning class

Wed 14/10 - 5.85 miles. Thank God it was much more enjoyable than Saturdays abysmal effort. My legs felt good all the way, and so did my head :D Feel a little better about this Sunday now.

Thurs 15/10 - rest day.

Advertisement