Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Guinness on Arthurs Day?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

So is there a 'significance' to todays date? (I'm not sure why I need to know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Isn't this against the law? Sounds suspiciously like happy hour to me.

Me too! Shennanigans.
    noby wrote: »
    So is there a 'significance' to todays date? (I'm not sure why I need to know).
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Pints of what, though? There was no Guinness stout until about 220 years ago.

Actually, there wasn't even a Guinness brewery 250 years ago: AFAIK the lease was signed in December 1759.

So what the hell was today supposed to be ? 250 years in adjusted marketing years :confused:
    Bleedin stupid thing anyway, celebrate a decent drink.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

noby wrote: »
    So is there a 'significance' to todays date?
    Nothing in the marketing I've seen has said the date is any way relevant to anything.

Edit: though the almost exactly six months to St Patrick's Day might have something to do with it.

My local dropped the price of pints by €1.40 for an hour this evening. Ain't no law west of the Poddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

My local dropped the price of pints by €1.40 for an hour this evening. Ain't no law west of the Poddle.

How did they get around the law on happy hour and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nothing in the marketing I've seen has said the date is any way relevant to anything.
    On TV3's morning program they kept on saying it was his birthday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Guinness
    that lists his birthday as 24/09/1725

BUT it also says
    This contradicts the date of 28 September 1725 chosen by the Guinness company in 1991, apparently to end speculation about his birthdate
    28th falls on a monday, not a particularly good drinking/marketing day, so no wonder they changed it again :rolleyes:
    oblivious wrote: »
    Thats what I wondered, a lot of places seemed to be doing it.

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »

"Arthur's Day" is above the law, don't you know. If it wasn't for him blah blah blah blah etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

It was €2:50 a guinness all night in my local bar and the guinness was great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

€5 all night in Tripod, no free pint and only Guinness being sold before 6pm, to shame. Also, the pints seemed very watery, I was wondering if they made it even blander to try convert larger drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr-McBain

Yeah Tripod was €5 per pint. All Diageo stock so no Heino, Vitamin H, H-Bombs or Pin-O-Ken. No free pint either which was bad considering they got free kegs and made money from ticket sales. No consistancy with prices throughout Dublin. Bad form but a good night.

rubadub wrote: »
    On TV3's morning program they kept on saying it was his birthday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Guinness
    that lists his birthday as 24/09/1725

BUT it also says
    This contradicts the date of 28 September 1725 chosen by the Guinness company in 1991, apparently to end speculation about his birthdate

28th falls on a monday, not a particularly good drinking/marketing day, so no wonder they changed it again :rolleyes:

I wondered what happened the guy who, when setting the date back in 1991, didn't have the foresight to see what day it falls on this year. Probably locked in that special vault that Guinness have to store all the stuff they like to wipe from history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

McGowans pints were 3.50 of the black stuff and everyone was drinking them!! They were lovely!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭moncai

There is no historical significance to Arthurs Day regarding a date in september, it was introduced as a celebration of 250 years since founding the company. They probably picked september as it has no other major dates of celebration to clash with around then. The date falls on the 3rd thursday in september, the only relation to Arthur Guinness is a re-interpretation of "Arthurs Day" to "Our Thursday" which might be an attempt to encourage people to go out and have a good time by making them feel like they have a sense of ownership on the celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Guinness €2.50 in Carberry's Dunshaughlin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

In my local the price will be €2.59 @ 17:59 & then it will go up 15cents every 15 mins until it returns to it normal price.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Price was 2.50 in my local for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I was in O'Neills in Lucan for it, €3 all night and it was yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

celticbest wrote: »
    In my local the price will be €2.59 @ 17:59 & then it will go up 15cents every 15 mins until it returns to it normal price.......

Slightly illegal, I'd say that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Slightly illegal, I'd say that was.
    I'd say it was too, but only because I would guess the price was more earlier in the day. The "Happy hour" law says they can increase it all they want as the day goes on, you just cannot have it reduced.

If there was any issue on the law on price display can be got around by listing some other stout, as they don't need to list everything.

Advertisement