Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a Gas Hob

Options
  • 21-09-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi All

A few questions about connecting a gas hob

Starting with the bottle I'm going to put it beside/near the oil tank and consequently will need to dig a drain from there under a footpath, up the wall a bit and through the wall into the kitchen. Its well away from the oil burner. Total run of about 30 feet or so

I was thinking of connecting the whole thing myself but on the grounds my home insurance may become null and void and on the poor safety of it I've decided to get a qualified installer in to connect it but I was thinking of digging up the lawn and footpath for the pipe myself so literally all the installer has to do is lay the pipe, drill the wall and connect up the hob and bottle(theres no piped gas in my area).

Is there any requirements for the depth of the trench in the lawn or how far below the footpath it needs to be? I'm thinking 6 inches or so. Does it need to be more/less. I suppose I dont want anyone digging it up by accident.

Also I'm relatively handy but have never connected gas before, or water for that matter. Do you think I'm right to get someone qualified to connect it up?

And does anyone have a ballpark estimate of how much this would cost?
    Thats to supply the pipework, drill the hole in the wall (block cavity) and connect up the bottle and hob.

To give some info on the house its a new build of about 2-3 years but I'm just after moving in. All other appliances are electrical. Oil Heating and the gas is just for the hob. (Thew missus likes her gas :o )

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Absolutely right to get a pro in for the gas connect.
    List of people available on the RGI website.

When you select one they will advise you on how the pipe is to be run so you can facilitate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Get a professional out. Tell them what you want to do. Tell them you want to cut the labour as much as possible to save as money is tight. S/he will tell you what you can and cant do.

Then get a second quote the same way.

Most applience need an LPG kit fitted when your using bottled gas of the likes. This is not a job for a novice. In fact because of the run etc if you were standing beside me I would tell you never to attempt gas( I usually say to people I am standing beside you should get an expert but if you do x it will be fine)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

Thanks All

I'll give the pros a call before I blow a new unplanned entrance into our house :o

Hey All

A few changes to the above.
    Was talking to my friend who is a qualfied plumber and he informed me he is a qualified gas installer as well...happy days :D

Bad news is he is on holidays but is going to look at the job when he gets back on Sunday.
    I can only make it to the hardware shop on Saturdays so am hoping to pick up everything I need this Saturday and dont wanna wait another week and didnt wanna bombard him with Questions when he was in his jolly holliers

So is all I need below

- Butane Gas Bottle
    - Butane Jumbo Low Pressure Regulator
    http://www.flogas.ie/technical_regulators.php
    - Two 0.5m lengths of low pressure hose (for connection to regulator and hob at each end of the pipework)
    - He mentioned 10mm flexuble Gas Piping fro the run (30ish feet)? (Its stuff you can bend but its quite soft apparently so needs to be enclosed in a tougher pipe to prevent damage) Hoping the shop can advise more on this
    - 3 elbows for the piping (2 for the wall of the house and 1 for the wall where the bottle will be beside)

Does anyone know if I need any non return valves or otherwise?

I think I also need to get a connection to fix the hob so need to have a look at it tonight

Thanks Again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would be inclined to fit one of the Auto-changeover modules, you hook two tanks to it and when one is empty it changes over.
    The Gas pipe is usually plastic sleeved copper, Flexible but can be kinked.
    I would also recommend the use of Propane rather than Butane, Propane has better cold weather performance and if the bottle are outside on a cold day butane doesn't work very well.

• Advertisement

Thanks CJ

The auto changeover module may have to be included as an enhancement down the line. Trying to keep the cost down at the moment

Thanks for the advice on Propane
    Is there much of a difference in Proce do you know?
    Also do they operate at the same pressure? - just need to know for the hose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think propane is still low pressure but 57Mbar as compared to Butane at 30 something. Your low pressure hose will still be the same.
    Propane comes in bigger bottles , commercial kitchens use it so they don't have to change as frequently.

A couple of things, the cylinder needs to be 3m from the oil tank and the pipe needs to be buried by 375mm(14 1/2 inch's), isolation valve for inside under the hob, a hob flexible connector, you will need to sleeve the hole going threw the side of the house. The pressure for propane is 37 mbar and 28 mbar for butane, i wouldn't use butane it will stop working at low temperatures, Gary.

Advertisement