Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Button Leaving Brawn ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No-one is worth 8million a year, but in comparison with other drivers he definitely is. Besides, winning the title will increase his worth massively with sponsors etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I can't help but feel that this kind of speculation could be a little premature. One non points scoring finish for Button coupled with a win for Barrichello would put him under severe pressure. He could still lose this title and if he does he will be in a much weaker negotiating position than he is now so he could end up regretting not taking what is currently being offered to him.

On the other hand, this could be a clever delaying tactic by Brawn as they wait to see who wins the title and who is therefore worth retaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I think so, it is what he was on at Honda and he will be a world champion next year and he did take a cut, next year they will have the constructor money and maybe Mercedes stake in the team.

@Cartoon_Head That's probably why he wants a deal now, and why Brawn is stalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I voted no
    Simply because i honestly think Nobody is worth 8 million a year.
    No matter what they do.
    Hence we have a global recession
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Not even Kimi ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

thegoth wrote: »
    Not even Kimi ;)

Not even The Pope :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think given thats what he was on without the wins that he has gained this year, then at the moment he's worth that sort of money. I guess he's worth whatever a particular team are willing to pay. I think brawn should try hang on to him... but for button what other team would give him a better car, maybe force india, big risk though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think he would be mad to leave Brawn,especially seen as they will be getting a lot of support from Merc as well,who else could he go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, 8 million is at the top end of the scale but certainly isn't exactly ridiculous as sports contracts go.

Pay the guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Other title winners pay:
    Lewis Hamilton £12 million
    Kimi Raikkonen £25 million
    Fernando Alonso £12 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Button in any other year in this situation would get his 8 Million. Brawn however has everything Button wants in terms of the team, the car, the future, whereas Button is onyl a driver and Brawn knows he can get another one of those. Yes he's worth it but will he get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Brawn are in the driving seat (no pun intended).

Button's good enough in the right car and his smooth style will probably suit next years non-refuelling rules. IMO though he doesn't have the versatility of a topline driver who can really sqeeze the maximum out of an average car - like Alonso, Lewis, Schumi or Kimi (when he's arsed). The fact that a vetern like Barrichello, who spent years as a no. 2, is spanking his ass at the moment does not signify a driver of the absolute highest calibre.

I bet Kubica, for example, would drive for a lot less than 8 mill and there are few who would rate Button as a better driver than the Pole.

On the other hand JB is a sponsor's dream - articulate, intelligent, good-looking, seems like a nice guy - that has to be worth something also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

pburns wrote: »
    Brawn are in the driving seat (no pun intended).

Button's good enough in the right car and his smooth style will probably suit next years non-refuelling rules. IMO though he doesn't have the versatility of a topline driver who can really sqeeze the maximum out of an average car - like Alonso, Lewis, Schumi or Kimi (when he's arsed). The fact that a vetern like Barrichello, who spent years as a no. 2, is spanking his ass at the moment does not signify a driver of the absolute highest calibre.

I bet Kubica, for example, would drive for a lot less than 8 mill and there are few who would rate Button as a better driver than the Pole.

On the other hand JB is a sponsor's dream - articulate, intelligent, good-looking, seems like a nice guy - that has to be worth something also...

Fully agree. I think that Button is in a weak position here. Brawn know they have a great number 2 in Rubens, who may be world champion by years end, Brawns engine supplier, Mercedes are desperate to place Rosberg with McLaren or Brawn. Based on this season as a whole, I do not think Button is in the same league as Formula1 champions should be in. I think he is in the same category as Hill, and dare I say Villenvue, who despite being very brave, was made luck better than he actually was in 96 and 97 by the Williams car. What teammate of note did he beat ? Massa beat him, as did Button, and Kubica retired him. If Button wins this year, it will be thanks to the car, not like Alonso who won in a so so car, not like Suchi who won his best titles in 94 and 95 in an underperforming Benetton.

Advertisement