Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shubunkin Goldfish

Options
  • 21-09-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was given a present of a lovely shubunkin goldfish (named Gandhi :)). Unfortunately at the moment he's in a goldfish bowl, I want to get a fish tank to give him proper room to swim around and also to have room for a friend possibly.

Would anyone have any info on what size tank I should be looking at getting, also where would be a good place to buy it; reasonable prices and helpful staff so I can ask a few newbie questions! I believe they're quite expensive so might place an add on gumtree or somewhere like that. Want to know what to ask for first though, and what kind of price I should be looking at...

Thanks for any help,
    weebushy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I'm not sure where you are located but for two or three gold fish i'd suggest getting a 20-25lt tank. If your in dublin i'd go to wackers on the long mile road you will pick everything up for 60-85 depending on thier offers. Any more questions just post them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

One shubunkin goldfish (along with all other long-bodied goldfish) would need to be kept in a tank that is at least 75 litres (20-25l is not big enough for one goldfish nevermind two or three) because they grow to be massive if they are looked after properly.
    Here's a picture of a common "feeder" goldfish at adult size for reference:
    nobowls9.jpg

The long-bodied goldfish varieties usually do best in ponds but if you can get a large enough tank then it should be fine.
    I have three fancy goldies myself that have recently moved to a 120 litre tank (took me quite a while to save up the dosh) and they are a lot happier than they were in the 60 litre I had them in before.

Advertisement