Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest Cork 2009

Options
  • 21-09-2009 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey guys I've recently moved to Cork City. Realised that Oktoberfest is at hand and was wondering if any ones knows if there are any pubs around the city holding Oktoberfest events in the coming weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Franciscan Well holds their Beerfest on the October Bank Holiday weekend. Always good fun!
    http://www.franciscanwellbrewery.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wheresdbeef

Cool that looks like what I'm after. End of October is a bit far away though is there anything on a little bit sooner? looking forward to tryin to organise a night out for a few friends

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Could try the Bierhaus, every night there is like beerfest
    http://thebierhauscork.com/Bierhaus/about_us.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

The Bierhaus is having an October beer festival, I think the same weekend as the Franciscan Well one. Although the selection of beers in there is always amazing anyway.

(They had Delirium Tremens on tap yesterday :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

definetly recommend the franciscan well for their octoberfest,loads of different beers to try (dont try the chocolate beer) get their early though* it gets really packed late in the evening,a big fry (starship enterprise?) in tonys on the way holds off the drunkenness for a while!

*caution getting there early will lead to nearly 12 hours of drinking and a lot of staggering around town:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

bladebrew wrote: »
    definetly recommend the franciscan well for their octoberfest,loads of different beers to try (dont try the chocolate beer) get their early though* it gets really packed late in the evening,a big fry (starship enterprise?) in tonys on the way holds off the drunkenness for a while!

*caution getting there early will lead to nearly 12 hours of drinking and a lot of staggering around town:)

How early is early? Whenever I have been out with the intention of going to this, I always hear the usual 'queue is a mile long' story. It is meant to be good craic though.

Gaudizeit wrote: »
    How early is early? Whenever I have been out with the intention of going to this, I always hear the usual 'queue is a mile long' story. It is meant to be good craic though.

It's best to be there around one or two. Nice relaxed atmosphere and plenty of space. It gets absolutely crazy after five, and it's usually packed wall to wall after six.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

It's best to be there around one or two. Nice relaxed atmosphere and plenty of space. It gets absolutely crazy after five, and it's usually packed wall to wall after six.

That's early alright! But considering I missed out on the Munich Oktoberfest this year then it'll have to be done in Cork, Franciscan Well style.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Franciscan Well beerfest is starting this friday (the 16th) , its early this year! I'm heading there, 5years running!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I was there the other week and they have a delightfully hoppy Pilsner called Boh going at the moment as well as their usual line up of beers. They also have Leffe as a guest beer but I would imagine there will be something more German for the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

The Bierhaus has an extension all weekend..... god help me. Intoxicus Maximus will be out in full force!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Franciscan Well beerfest is starting this friday (the 16th) , its early this year! I'm heading there, 5years running!!! :D

No, that's too early! Damn, I might not make it :(.

Just a heads up, this post is wrong. The Oktoberfest is on the weekend of the 23rd, or the Jazz weekend, like it always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

I'm sorry but your post is wrong! Its the 16th this friday! I found it strange too as i went to every one bar 1 since they started it and it was never on this early but i went in to ask and two people working there confirmed that its on the 16th!

Call up if you like Faith but please don't tell me i'm wrong till you find out for sure i'm wrong!

I'm sorry but your post is wrong! Its the 16th this friday! I found it strange too as i went to every one bar 1 since they started it and it was never on this early but i went in to ask and two people working there confirmed that its on the 16th!

Call up if you like Faith but please don't tell me i'm wrong till you find out for sure i'm wrong!

I did find out for sure, I phoned them yesterday evening. The girl I spoke to confirmed that it's the Jazz weekend, like it always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The posters they have up around town say the 23rd. My liver hurts already thinking bout the amount of beers i'm goin to try :D

This is what I have been told on the ICB site.
    Franciscan Well Oktoberfest Friday 23rd, Sat 24th and Sunday 25th October, Friday from 5 p.m. and Sat and Sunday from 2 p.m
    also
    The Bierhaus Oktoberfest also on Thursday 22nd to Monday 26th October inclusive. From 5 p.m. Thursday. From 2 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday and 4 p.m. Monday.
    This week-end the Bierhaus as well as having Oktoberfest beers usually has a selection of some guest Irish beers for the week-end.

I hear on the grapevine there is a possibility of Porterhouse Guests on draught for week-end and also hopefully Plain and Hophead in bottle. Not sure of what other guests yet but Dave usually has a nice selection this week-end.

There will also be a visit from Douglas Sharpe from innis and Gunne on Saturday and Dave has advised he will be hosting a sampling / talk re Innis and Gunn on the Saturday evening perhaps around 6 or 7. This sounds interesting and open to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Pretty sure it's the weekend of the 23rd (100% sure that's what all the posters and flyers say!)

Queues can get an hour+ long after 8pm (one out one in system), so yeah get there v early.

It would be nice if they updated their website beyong 2008 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭k8hm

Anyone know if the Franciscan Well are doing anything on the bank holiday Monday?

• Advertisement

k8hm wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Franciscan Well are doing anything on the bank holiday Monday?

I don't think the franciscan are, but the bierhaus definately are.

bit off topic but whats the story with the jugs of beer (carlsberg and possibly other brands) you can buy in reardons (and possibly other pubs) for €10? is this to coincide with said beer festival or is this the new thing in cork?

bit off topic but whats the story with the jugs of beer (carlsberg and possibly other brands) you can buy in reardons (and possibly other pubs) for €10? is this to coincide with said beer festival or is this the new thing in cork?

Nowt to do with the franciscan wells beerfest anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

bit off topic but whats the story with the jugs of beer (carlsberg and possibly other brands) you can buy in reardons (and possibly other pubs) for ?10? is this to coincide with said beer festival or is this the new thing in cork?
    Nothing do with Oktoberfest. Its just a new value offer that the pubs have going, i've seen it in Sober Lane and Crane Lane too a good few weeks back .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

bit off topic but whats the story with the jugs of beer (carlsberg and possibly other brands) you can buy in reardons (and possibly other pubs) for ?10? is this to coincide with said beer festival or is this the new thing in cork?
    Nothing do with Oktoberfest. Its just a new pitcher offer that the pubs have going, i've seen it in Sober Lane and Crane Lane too a good few weeks back . Sober lane actually have a pitcher of beer and a pizza for E20.

Advertisement