Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Comparatives LC 2010

Options
  • 21-09-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Would these texts be a good group for the comparative at higher level?

Wuthering Heights
    A Doll's House
    Oedipus the King

EDIT: Might throw 'The Tempest' into the pot as well and ditch one of the above. Think 3 is the most you can answer on.

The Comparative Modes for Examination in 2010 (Higher) are:

(i) Literary Genre
    (ii) The General Vision and Viewpoint
    (iii) The Cultural Context

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paperheart

I haven't read either of the last two books you've mentioned but my class is studying Wuthering Heights and The Girl With The Pearl Earring for the comparative.

You can do 3 books for the comparative? :o
    it sounds like a lot more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

paperheart wrote: »
    The Girl With The Pearl Earring .....

You can do 3 books for the comparative?

oh yeah GWTPE would be good. Wasn't there a film made of that? Most people do 3 texts I believe plus the single text

pathway33 wrote: »
    oh yeah GWTPE would be good. Wasn't there a film made of that? Most people do 3 texts I believe plus the single text

Now i feel deprived lol, my teacher only chose two novels for the comparative. Maybe it's for the best though, i am pretty lazy and another book could be ''the straw that broke the camel's back''. :D

Edit: GWTPE is a very simple novel (compared to wuthering heights) and works great for the comparative of Wuthering Heights under cultural context like the role of women, religion, the setting etc.

another book

you're allowed to do 1 film

2010 list is

casablanca
    billy elliot
    richard III
    INSIDE I'M DANCING
    Il postino
    the truman show

can't hurt to throw a line from one of them into your answer :D

you're allowed to do 1 film

2010 list is

casablanca
    billy elliot
    richard III
    INSIDE I'M DANCING
    Il postino
    the truman show

can't hurt to throw a line from one of them into your answer :D

We're doing casablanca i believe :D.
    ''Here's looking at you kid''
    Ahh i'm already a pro lol.

• Advertisement

We're doing casablanca i believe :D.
    ''Here's looking at you kid''
    Ahh i'm already a pro lol.

You're on the pigs back so. Up de banner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Most people do 3 texts I believe plus the single text

EVERYBODY does 3 texts (you'll get away with two at OL), because that's what the course specifies. Why make life harder? You won't get a single extra mark for doing 4 or 'throwing in a line' from one of the films.

If you do The Tempest, then you've covered yourself for Shakespeare and are free to do another of the specified texts for the single text.

It makes for a bit of variety to do a play, novel and film. It should also make your literary genre essay more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You can do 3 books for the comparative? :o
    it sounds like a lot more work.
    You're required to do three. I believe two is the absolute minimum, but you're really shooting yourself in the foot if you don't do a third.

Lawliet wrote: »
    You're required to do three. I believe two is the absolute minimum, but you're really shooting yourself in the foot if you don't do a third.

Well as far as i know we're studying King Lear, Casablanca, Wuthering Heights and Girl With A Pearl Earring.
    I'll mention it to my english teacher today after class.:rolleyes:

we're studying King Lear, Casablanca, Wuthering Heights and Girl With A Pearl Earring.

That's perfect.

For higher level you either study

* 4 texts as in the single text and 3 comparative texts.

OR

* 3 texts and 1 film as in 1 single text and 2 texts and the film for the comparative as you are doing.

As long as shakespeare for higher level is thrown into the mix then you're on de pigs back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

For the comparative, my class is doing king lear, trumen show and lies of silence

For higher level you either study

* 4 texts as in the single text and 3 comparative texts.

OR

* 3 texts and 1 film as in 1 single text and 2 texts and the film for the comparative as you are doing.

For the purposes of the syllabus, a film IS a text, so you're just making it sound more complicated than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

For the comparitive we're doing Sive, Billy Elliot and Pride and Prejudice. King Lear as a single text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

For the comparitive we're doing Sive, Billy Elliot and Pride and Prejudice. King Lear as a single text.

Me too, except I'm doing Il Postino as my film, Hate Pride and Predjuice, Love Sive, haven't done film yet. Hoping it'll be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

My class is doing The Bookseller of Kabul(Shíte book), Playboy of the Western World(booooring) and we haven't decided which film yet, toss up between The Truman Show and Inside I'm Dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭swatch

My class is doing Dancing at Lughnasa, Pride and Prejudice and Billy Elliot. Dancing at lughnasa is about 40 pages long but yet manages to bore the living daylights out of you:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jabn

For the comparative my class is doing Pride and Prejudice, Billy Elliot and Dancing at Lughnasa. Our teacher told us that we have to prepare the key moments for these texts ourselves. I was out of school when the class was reading and discussing Dancing at Lughnasa and I was wondering if someone could upload key moments that they have prepared for Dancing at Lughnasa. I am fine with the key moments for the other two texts and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with Dancing at Lughnasa.

jabn wrote: »
    For the comparative my class is doing Pride and Prejudice, Billy Elliot and Dancing at Lughnasa. Our teacher told us that we have to prepare the key moments for these texts ourselves. I was out of school when the class was reading and discussing Dancing at Lughnasa and I was wondering if someone could upload key moments that they have prepared for Dancing at Lughnasa. I am fine with the key moments for the other two texts and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with Dancing at Lughnasa.

Don't know if there's key moments in this or not http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=1239

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Do Oedipus the King- Phenomenal (and short) play.

the one about the guy who ends up marrying his mother?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jdc123

I wouldn't go as far as to say it is Phenomenal but it's not bad!
    We're doing Oedipus the King, Billy Elliot and King Lear for the comparative and The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Tobin as our single text.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

My class is doing Panther in the basment, Billy Elliot and Dancing at lughnasa. The comparative Q can be tricky I'm guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

jdc123 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go as far as to say it is Phenomenal but it's not bad!
    We're doing Oedipus the King, Billy Elliot and King Lear for the comparative and The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Tobin as our single text.

Well I really like it, considering it really is one of the first plays ever recorded. I'm also studying it for Classical studies so for me its a case of two birds with one stone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jabn

Unfortunately my teacher said that I must do Dancing at Lughnasa and that I'm not allowed to do another text so I really need help with the key moments for Dancing at Lughnasa.

Unfortunately my teacher said that I must do Dancing at Lughnasa and that I'm not allowed to do another text so I really need help with the key moments for Dancing at Lughnasa.

Have you read the play? That would be a start. There are no defined key moments in any text. They're just the scenes/sequences that are important and will back up points you make in the comparative. What is your theme?

Once you've read/seen it, they should jump out at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

We're doing King Lear for the single text & Billy Elliot, Panther In The Basement & Dancing at Lughnasa fo compartitive. I dont understand doin Shakespeare for the compartitive, hes too long and complicated, seems like a waste of time to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

We're doing Sive, Bookseller of Kabul and Lies of Silence.

There is a book called New English Key Notes by Mentor. http://www.mentorbooks.ie/book.aspx?filter=study&contentid=92

It has dancing at lughnasa as one of the comparative texts it does in huge detail, outlining key points in all 3 areas. The book also has the all the poetry notes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

We are doing Lies of Silence, Il Postino and Playboy of the Western World. We had no say in choosing them..we have finished Lies of Silence and Il Postino but have done no study on them? at all like. We did King Lear aswell..

cork*girl wrote: »
    We are doing Lies of Silence, Il Postino and Playboy of the Western World. We had no say in choosing them..we have finished Lies of Silence and Il Postino but have done no study on them? at all like. We did King Lear aswell..

Why would you have a say in choosing them? The teacher/school picks texts that will work together. Maybe your teacher is waiting until the third text is done to start doing comparative notes.

Lear is probably your single text, that's different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

We're doing Circle Of Friends by Maeve Binchy, Dancing At Lughnasa and Inside I'm Dancing..

They actually compare really well together..

Advertisement