Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Comparatives LC 2010

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

deemark wrote: »
    Why would you have a say in choosing them? The teacher/school picks texts that will work together. Maybe your teacher is waiting until the third text is done to start doing comparative notes.

Lear is probably your single text, that's different.

i just said we had no say in choosing them because other people said they had a vote :confused:
    not much point in waiting till the end of 6th year to study something that we did way back at the start of 5th year.. our class isnt too happy about it either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

cork*girl wrote: »
    i just said we had no say in choosing them because other people said they had a vote :confused:
    not much point in waiting till the end of 6th year to study something that we did way back at the start of 5th year.. our class isnt too happy about it either

Nobody said anything about a vote. Sure, if I gave my students a vote, we'd be wasting piles of time reading extra texts that weren't needed:confused: Films can be different, as they take less time.

If your teacher is waiting until May to do PWW, you are in bother. I'd imagine you'll be covering PWW and revising the other two at the same time by comparing. That's the most logical way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fire_with_fire

I personally love my combination for the comparative:

Billy Elliot, Dancing at Lughnasa and Panther in the Basement.

They're nice and easy to cultural context for, and general viewpoint - not to great though if literary genre comes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

LovexxLife wrote: »
    For the comparative, my class is doing king lear, trumen show and lies of silence

hm... would you be in ennis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Annie2

I studied Dancing at Lughnasa also and the teacher told us that we have to do the key moments ourselves and I was just wondering if someone could post up their key moments because I am totally lost?:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

We're doing Dancing at Lughnasa, Billy Elliot & Girl with a Pearl Earring. They're really easy to write on for the cultural context. I did pretty good on my essay, she said I needed more key moments though, but I'm not to sure what she meant, cause I felt I had the important aspects of each in my essay...

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Annie2 wrote: »
    I studied Dancing at Lughnasa also and the teacher told us that we have to do the key moments ourselves and I was just wondering if someone could post up their key moments because I am totally lost?:confused::confused::confused:
    when Gerry comes home,Chris telling Michael hes getting a bike , the first thing in the book abt the radio and how the sisters danced together, there's more but cannot remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mr.equinox

We're doing a girl with a pearl earring, dancing at lughnasa (rely boring) and Billy Elliot too.

But Im REALLY sturggling with my cultural context question:confused::confused::confused:

any advice would be much appreciated!!

laura93 wrote: »
    We're doing Dancing at Lughnasa, Billy Elliot & Girl with a Pearl Earring. They're really easy to write on for the cultural context. I did pretty good on my essay, she said I needed more key moments though, but I'm not to sure what she meant, cause I felt I had the important aspects of each in my essay...

You need to be referring more to the text I'd imagine. If you have divided the cc into role of women, role of religion etc, then find a moment in all three that clearly illustrates this and refer to it e.g. "the stranglehold the church has on the life of Kate is clearly seen when we learn of the parish priest's conversation with her...." and give a line of two about it. "This influence is echoed in GPE, when...."

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

we're doing pride & prejudice, casablanca and sive. the work really well together especially for cultural context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

We're doing Wuthering Heights, Casablanca and Playboy of the Western World. Only looked at Cultural Context and Vision & Viewpoint so far but they're working pretty well together! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 yellowbutterfly

Fully agree - Sive Pride adn Prejudice and Casablanca work well together. For key moments and stuff my teacher is always talking bout how well they do key moments in this book called comparative studies for leaving cert 2010 (or something along those lines. blue cover, white and pink inside!) and its actually really good for sample answers and stuff. Only covers certain combinations though...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

We're doing Sive, The girl with the pearl earing and Billy E.

Just finished Sive, going to see the play in November, Teacher hasn't gone through any comparative questions with us and won't tell us how to structure any answers (comparative or poetry ones). :mad:

Does anyone know how they should be structured? i.e concentrate on one text at a time, or would you say 'the theme of ... can be seen through the 3 texts' and then give examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 yellowbutterfly

Combine them as much as possible is what I've been told anyway. I usually compare two texts in one paragraph and then bring in the third. Not sure if its right, but my teacher seems to know what she's talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

Sive Pride adn Prejudice and Casablanca work well together. For key moments and stuff my teacher is always talking bout how well they do key moments in this book called comparative studies for leaving cert 2010 (or something along those lines. blue cover, white and pink inside!) and its actually really good for sample answers and stuff.

I fully agree! It's absolutely brilliant for that combination of texts! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jack Leahy

LovexxLife wrote: »
    For the comparative, my class is doing king lear, trumen show and lies of silence

Can't do Lear in comparative!!

Jack Leahy wrote: »
    Can't do Lear in comparative!!

Yes, you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jack Leahy

deemark wrote: »
    Yes, you can.

Not if it's your single text you can't

Well, obviously you can't do it for the comparative and the single text. There's nothing wrong with using Lear in the comparative and studying another text (from the list) for the single text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 xxxxaisling

pathway33 wrote: »
    That's perfect.

For higher level you either study

* 4 texts as in the single text and 3 comparative texts.

OR

* 3 texts and 1 film as in 1 single text and 2 texts and the film for the comparative as you are doing.

As long as shakespeare for higher level is thrown into the mix then you're on de pigs back :D

Wondering how you would structure pragraphs for the questions where you have to choose one key moment for one text? In general vision + viewpoint i find i repete myself alot + struggle in how to come up with new points on how one moment shapes the viewpoint.
    Just looking for any guidelines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Im doing
    Sive(easy enough to compare)
    Hard times by charles dickens(utterly useless boring tripe)
    the trumann show(no idea how im gonna compare that one)

this years selection is much harder then last years

i got an a2 in english last year doing philadelphia here i come,cinema paradiso and jane eyre....so much easier!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Lies Of Silence, Panther In the Basement and Inside, I'm Dancing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

I personally love my combination for the comparative:

Billy Elliot, Dancing at Lughnasa and Panther in the Basement.

They're nice and easy to cultural context for, and general viewpoint - not to great though if literary genre comes up!

You're finding it easy you say? We should be friends ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Lies of Silence is so so so boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sarahisconfused

Somebody help me! Were studying Casablanca, Girl with a Pearl Earring and Pride and Prejudice for our comparative and im totally lost! I just cant seem to find much if anything in common with any of them? Im sure the answers are just staring me in the face but i just dont get any of it! Are these choices a particularly difficult combination or is it just me? Anybody else doing these three? :eek:

stress!

Somebody help me! Were studying Casablanca, Girl with a Pearl Earring and Pride and Prejudice for our comparative and im totally lost! I just cant seem to find much if anything in common with any of them? Im sure the answers are just staring me in the face but i just dont get any of it! Are these choices a particularly difficult combination or is it just me?

The comparative is NOT all about what texts have in common; the differences between them are just as important, if not more so.

Well, the role of women is a fairly obvious theme (or part of your cultural context). They are all love stories (forbidden/impossible relationships) and they are three very different societies, which the characters are in conflict with, which should make for a very interesting Cultural Context essay.

What is your theme? Have you looked at the notes your teacher has given you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

For the first text we're doing Wuthering Heights and for the comparative we're doing Circle of Friends, King Lear and Inside I'm Dancing.

I cannot stand King Lear but it's easy enough to compare to COF. I like Inside I'm Dancing as a film but I think there's just not enough similarities with the other two texts to study it (I know the differences are important too but the main ones in the other two texts such as the role of women and conflict aren't deal with much in IID). The other class is doing Casablanca so I'm thinking of changing to that depending on how my mock question goes.

I like Inside I'm Dancing as a film but I think there's just not enough similarities with the other two texts to study it (I know the differences are important too but the main ones in the other two texts such as the role of women and conflict aren't deal with much in IID).

The role of women in IID? They are far more liberated than in COF and more traditionally feminine than the evil sisters in Lear. Think of the woman who runs the nursing home, she is in a position of power, yet is fulfilling a caring role (like Benny and Cordelia). Siobhan is another example - a liberated young woman, who can go out drinking and has lots of employment opportunities open to her, yet she too ends up having a caring role, which she is able to leave when she wants.

IID is also full of conflict - interpersonal and with society. Like Benny, the two boys struggle with society's expectations or them, like Goneril and Regan, they do not act as society expects them.

Take my advice, don't switch your comparative, it's mush easier to do what your class is doing. You haven't named your theme so it's impossible to know whether the similarities or differences are difficult or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KateC92

Billy Elliot, The Secret Life Of Bees, A Doll's House.

We haven't started ADH yet but BE and TSLOB are great together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement