Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do we put up with paying 160 euro's for a TV license.

• 21-09-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Why do we put up with paying 160 euro's for a TV license( Tax). I'm originally from the US and have lived in Ireland for 12 years now. When it was first brought to my attention that I needed to get a TV license, I honestly thought the guy was having me on. The concept of a TV license was completely alien to me. Now, I understand why it was introduced back in the 70s or 60's but, that was before we had satellite, cable TV and the internet. We don't need to be forced into paying for RTE in 2009. I would have no problem paying 50 euro's a year to keep TG4. I accept TG4, although i don't watch it, is culturally important with its Irish speaking content. RTE on the other hand is not a priority. Why as tax payers are we paying the mega huge wages to the likes of Gerry Ryan or Pat Kenny. If they're that great let them go off to Hollywood to make their fortune. I really feel RTE should be sold off and made to compete with out the tax payer. There are millions of Irish all over the world that would pay to see RTE, so I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem surviving on their own. I'd rather see my 160 euro's go to help get someone off a hospital trolly then toward Gerry Ryan's beach lounger on Miami beach.

Why do we as Irish tax payers put up with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Its the Law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Gerry needs his white powder. No star should be cought wearing shirts with whites that are not whiter than white if the Das doorstep challenge people come a knocking.

Generally the reason for it is that its a national service which provides infromation to the coutnry without bias. The upkeep and development of an expensive broadcasting network for radio and television across the coutnry is not cheap.

I do understand the annoyance at paying for it when you have people getting paid outrageous amounts for poor productions/shows and the slow time its taking for theanalogue switchover. Maybe if RTE were forced to be more on the cutting edge with HD/Digital and had a stearner body to talk to (a-la BBC Trust in the UK) it could work to the public favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't put up with it, the tv's gone out the door a good while now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Why do we put up with paying 160 euro's for a TV license( Tax). I'm originally from the US and have lived in Ireland for 12 years now. When it was first brought to my attention that I needed to get a TV license, I honestly thought the guy was having me on. The concept of a TV license was completely alien to me. Now, I understand why it was introduced back in the 70s or 60's but, that was before we had satellite, cable TV and the internet. We don't need to be forced into paying for RTE in 2009. I would have no problem paying 50 euro's a year to keep TG4. I accept TG4, although i don't watch it, is culturally important with its Irish speaking content. RTE on the other hand is not a priority. Why as tax payers are we paying the mega huge wages to the likes of Gerry Ryan or Pat Kenny. If they're that great let them go off to Hollywood to make their fortune. I really feel RTE should be sold off and made to compete with out the tax payer. There are millions of Irish all over the world that would pay to see RTE, so I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem surviving on their own. I'd rather see my 160 euro's go to help get someone off a hospital trolly then toward Gerry Ryan's beach lounger on Miami beach.

Why do we as Irish tax payers put up with this?

...because we are too complacent sheep.
    End of thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I've never paid it, never will either.. and I've a 42" HDTV.. yum yum :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Because too many idiots still watch TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Because people like the government raping us.

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So we don't get our programmes broken up with advertising, no wait that's not right, so why indeed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved to TV licence forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well Cafe En Seine charged too much for drinks and they're going bust. So here's hoping..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Ireland is the first country I have herd of where one needs to get a license to own a TV.
    Next you'll have to get a license to use a lawnmower
    Soon you'll have to get one for your toaster too...

yea it's quite the joke alright.. never watch tele but have to pay my share in the house i live in. bs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ireland is the first country I have herd of where one needs to get a license to own a TV
    :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence
    two-thirds of the countries in Europe and half of the countries in Asia and Africa use television licences to fund public television.

this has been done to death before
    - you need a license if you have a TV tuner card in a pc or a video recorder
    - US public service TV is dire
    - the UK charge more than we do for a license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ireland is the first country I have herd of where one needs to get a license to own a TV.
    Next you'll have to get a license to use a lawnmower
    Soon you'll have to get one for your toaster too...

You mean you don't already have your toaster permit???
    The fecking cheek of you, coming over here and enjoying free toast like you're some kind of king!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

-

agreed capt it has been done to death but no harm in doing it again. I see a thread every 2 days on cannibas and why not the TV licence

He is right let RTE go its own way.

I am all for TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

surprised there isnt some smart ar$e in the government that had tried to bring in a pen1s or b00bs tax.....or maybe that was a text I got :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Cant believ this is back again so soon after the last one... Ever couple of weeks theres a new thread on TV licences or how to avoid it...

Havent got one, dont have a tv...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Cant believ this is back again so soon after the last one... Ever couple of weeks theres a new thread on TV licences or how to avoid it...

Yes after corks loss yesterday I would have trown out my TV as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Biggins wrote: »
    End of thread!
    Beat me to it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

agreed capt it has been done to death but no harm in doing it again. I see a thread every 2 days on cannibas and why not the TV licence

He is right let RTE go its own way.

I am all for TV3.
    TV3 :confused:

Oh you mean UTV-South

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

spoofilyj wrote: »

I,m not asking how to avoid it. I just don't get why people in Ireland have resigned to paying it. Stupid laws can be changed. There are more important things to fund in this country like schools and healthcare then funding an a totally unnecessary entertainment network. Providing a national information service without bias could easily be done on TG4 at a much cheaper yearly fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

two-thirds of the countries in Europe and half of the countries in Asia and Africa use television licences to fund public television.

Yes thank God for the UK and its higher than our tv licence. At least there's some decent stuff to watch on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why do we put up with paying 160 euro's for a TV license( Tax). I'm originally from the US and have lived in Ireland for 12 years now.
    Hey Des, you can probably make a show about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

greendom wrote: »
    Yes thank God for the UK and its higher than our tv licence. At least there's some decent stuff to watch on tv.

You'll see the cost isn't that different. Even when taking the economies of scale into account RTE hardly invests any money in program development. Instead they just have the same roundrobin of third rate parish celebreties interviewing eachother and calling it a talkshow. To top it all off the drivel is interrupted with massive amounts of advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't know was it mentioned but it pays for RTE Symphony Orchestra.
    They run a lot of free concerts

And it funds the RTE Concert Orchestra.
    I know these are two seperate groups but I've no idea what the difference is.

Two orchestras for 160 euro, sure what more do you want? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Winters wrote: »
    Generally the reason for it is that its a national service which provides infromation to the coutnry without bias. The upkeep and development of an expensive broadcasting network for radio and television across the coutnry is not cheap..

In fairness theres plenty of bias but maybe its not so clear since its bias that backs up what we've been fed all our lives here. Thankfully the internet has gotten popular and theres other sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

Let's not allow sensible thinking get in the way of misinformed debate.

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »

I have no interest in going to an Orchestra, but I know music and the arts are important for Ireland so, I'd have no problem paying taxes for that. But, paying taxes so we can see imported shows from the US and Briton is a total waste of our money. They serve absolutely no cultural value. There are a lot of families out there, mine included, that are finding it hard to make ends meet in this recession only to be forced into paying for an intertainment network. I've canceled Sky to make ends meet. I can't cancel RTE. And, doesn't anyone find it unbelievable that tax payers are giving Gerry Ryan €600k a year? It's just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

ehh dont pay:D

mikemac wrote: »

Tickets? :o

The purpose of me starting this thread has nothing to do with the points you outlined.
    -I didn't need to know if a TV license was needed for a PC or video recorder.
    -So what about the public service in the US.
    - I don't care if the UK are charging more.

I don't pay tax in either country, so it doesn't concern me..

I just wanted to know why people here seem so resigned into paying €160 for completely unnecessary tax that goes to paying for grossly overpaid wages to a few media fat cats. Where is the outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

If you had a PC monitor and a skybox would you have to pay a license as you dont have anything capable of getting analogue signals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Biggins wrote: »
    End of thread!

Are all the other countries that have tv licences complacent sheep too? or just us?

greendom wrote: »

maybe if we pay the same in actuall monetary value that the BBc recieves we can have equally good stations.

I have no interest in going to an Orchestra, but I know music and the arts are important for Ireland so, I'd have no problem paying taxes for that. But, paying taxes so we can see imported shows from the US and Briton is a total waste of our money. They serve absolutely no cultural value. There are a lot of families out there, mine included, that are finding it hard to make ends meet in this recession only to be forced into paying for an intertainment network. I've canceled Sky to make ends meet. I can't cancel RTE. And, doesn't anyone find it unbelievable that tax payers are giving Gerry Ryan €600k a year? It's just wrong.

If your finding it hard to make ends meet, surley havign a tv to watch is way down your list of priorities, get rid so.

You could always move back to the US to avoid having to pay the €160 a year.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    If your finding it hard to make ends meet, surley havign a tv to watch is way down your list of priorities, get rid so.

You could always move back to the US to avoid having to pay the €160 a year.
    There is no need to be smart Stekelly. All I'm doing is questioning an unnecessary and wasteful tax that we're all being forced to pay. As a tax paying citizen I have every right to question it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Two words why I dont pay my licence.

Byrne Ultimatum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There is no need to be smart Stekelly. All I'm doing is questioning an unnecessary and wasteful tax that we're all being forced to pay. As a tax paying citizen I have every right to question it.

How am I beign smart? If your finding it hard to cope financially, then a tv shoudlnt really be high on the priority list to keep.

There are probably plenty of other actual essential things that are more expensive here than the US you could complain about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If it hasn't been said before.

It is because we are Irish.

An accepting bunch, its in our blood due to years and years of persecution and oppression.

Sure we are currently being ruled by a virtual dictatorship due to our 'ah shurre what can we do' attitude.

Are all the other countries that have tv licences complacent sheep too? or just us?

My point being for those few not able to discern it, was that we might find something - ANY THING - to gripe about, but we then do frig all to evoke subsequent or bring about change to something we object to!
    What I and others have come to in a conclusion is that be it a license issue, TD expenses issue, ignoring vote issue or whatever - that all the sheep of this country will come to, just gripping and snipping and nothing else.

...clearly you don't get that point by example, by you trying to make MY point being just about a TV licence. :rolleyes:

Dear gawd, let intelligence reign down upon us and give us all the ability to ascertain what a post is actually trying to accede to its reader.

• Advertisement

How am I beign smart? If your finding it hard to cope financially, then a tv shoudlnt really be high on the priority list to keep.

There are probably plenty of other actual essential things that are more expensive here than the US you could complain about.
    No, the TV is not "high" on the priority list, but why should I pay an RTE tax to watch a DVD, play a game , watch a youtube video or go online. I don't need RTE nor do I want it.
    And again, I have every right to complain were my taxes go. Bringing this ,go back to the US if you don't like it, tone into the conversation is just BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Seeing "Baz's culture clash" advertised on RTE was all the reason I needed to give a thumbs up to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnnypark

I agree with Capn' America. If the government allows RTE to get revenue from advertising, fair enough, just don't pile the tv license on top of that. That's just greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Richie..Galway

I agree with capn america too which is the reason i have never had a TV licence i'm 32 years old now and moved out of the familly home at 18. so thats 14 years of never having a licence. i pay 1500 a year on road tax though so i'm more than covered lol and thats for absolutley s.hite roads in galway county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

i pay 1500 a year on road tax though so i'm more than covered lol

Slightly OT, but you pay motor tax, not road tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

FearDark wrote: »
    Two words why I dont pay my licence.

Byrne Ultimatum.
    Watched that for the first time tonight.

It was about as funny as a vietnamese child covered in honey being eaten by a bear.
    It annoyed me how the guests just laughed at things that were blatantly unfunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I wouldnt mind as much except for the really stupidly high salaries paid to RTE "Talent"

Gerry Ryan is worth 650k????

And complains when he has to pay for his own coffee?

Pay him 50-100k and if he doesnt like it tell him to take his "talent" to the UK or any other market.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Richie..Galway

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but you pay motor tax, not road tax.

ok my bad, either way i'm nailed lol, wouldn't mind but my car is driven only a few miles a week these days it's unfair imo if it was tax on fuel then i would be taxed by how much i drive the car which is mostly at weekends, sorry for going off topic sligtly..... just don't pay tv licence. if nobody p[aid it what could they do ? put us all in jail? there isn't room as it is and if they fine the whole country then just ignore that also just like the tv licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I live in Australia.

-They have no TV license here
    -All stations are privatised
    -Government still advertise services and polictial campaigns through these stations (quite cheaply might I add).

You only pay for Foxtel (Sky box) for a digital signal.

It works well, and proves in my mind without a shadow of a doubt that TV licenses are in fact a load of big hairy b*****x.

People have in this thread have pointed out the law, but as 'Cap'n America' has pointed out why should he pay for a service he doesn't use nor have any interest in? With that I have to agree because I have always been of the same mindset. The TV license imo is nothing more then a revenue stream that doesn't need to be there.

RTE should be privatised and then would be forced to produce some quality and get rid of the dead wood which would negate the reason for a license of any sort. I mean would anyone be crying if they didn't get their daily fix of The Angelus? I think not.

Besides people have moved towards digital subscriptions, internet downloads and a million other methods of entertainment other then some backward TV station that holds no interest apart from sports and old people TV shows (With that they got rid of Moto GP to promote more Irish sports, which imo was totally short sighted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I too am sick and tired of paying the TV license. I have heard of something called 'radio license' was in practice in India in 1970s, but nothing since.

I don't watch RTE either. I only watch about an hour telly a day, and that's usually some well made BBC documentary that is free-to-air.

Now, Can we do something about this legally? I don't want to break the law, but is there a way to challenge this / sue the government on a public interest petition of "unnecessary and avoidable financial burden in the name of a non-essential service that does not offer value for money" or something like that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement