Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do we put up with paying 160 euro's for a TV license.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Tv- license is all nice and well but it should be done like in Holland.
    Your fee there is included in the price of your tv-provider.
    So if you want a tv just for watching dvd's, playing games and dont take sky/upc etc you dont pay the tv-license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

this has been done to death before
    - you need a license if you have a TV tuner card in a pc or a video recorder
    - US public service TV is dire
    - the UK charge more than we do for a license

I think you'll find the UK licence is actually cheaper than the Irish licence. Plus several of the channels it contributes towards, BBC 1-4, are of a high quality and ad-free so it's not possible to make a direct comparison

What confuses me is how RTE gets money from ads, sponsorship AND TV licences and still manages to produce such BS. If the licence fee was used to directly support independent Irish production companies, not through the RTE filter, we would have much more varied and higher quality programmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Can I avoid this stupid pre wordwar tax by disabling the tuner component of my telly? I can then use the sky box to watch fta channels without paying license right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

layke wrote: »
    -They have no TV license here
    -All stations are privatised
    -Government still advertise services and polictial campaigns through these stations (quite cheaply might I add).

Australian television is absolute bollocks though. It is hardly a good example to use

positron wrote: »
    Can I avoid this stupid pre wordwar tax by disabling the tuner component of my telly? I can then use the sky box to watch fta channels without paying license right?

Your Sky box has a tuner also.
    bakedbean wrote: »
    I think you'll find the UK licence is actually cheaper than the Irish licence. Plus several of the channels it contributes towards, BBC 1-4, are of a high quality and ad-free so it's not possible to make a direct comparison

What confuses me is how RTE gets money from ads, sponsorship AND TV licences and still manages to produce such BS. If the licence fee was used to directly support independent Irish production companies, not through the RTE filter, we would have much more varied and higher quality programmes.

Do you have no idea about simple mathematics? Amount of UK television licence payers greatly outnumbers Irish television licence payers. Do the maths.

RTÉ produces such BS? You can honestly say that you watch nothing transmitted by RTÉ. I bet you do. And what you watch I can guarantee others think it is bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Never payed it. Never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Richie..Galway

i'm glad i don't pay it. especially after the athletics word championships which were on last month thanks to the BBC i was able to watch Cork's Derval O'Rourke set a new Irish record when she came 4th in the 100m hurdle final, It's a disgrace that a cork girl sets a new irish record and comes 4th in the entire world and RTE don't have it on tv, i would also like to thank the BBC for allowing me to witess Usain Bolt once again break the 100m world record, Thanks BBC screw you RTE

If you do not pay for the television licence then what right have you to criticise RTÉ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I live in Australia.

-They have no TV license here
    -All stations are privatised
    -Government still advertise services and polictial campaigns through these stations (quite cheaply might I add).

ABC is financed by the Australia Government.

80% of the funding for SBS also comes from the Australian government.

Just because its there is no license fee does not mean there are no taxes going to it. At least in Ireland if you choose not to have a TV you don't contribute to RTE, in Australia your are contributing through your income taxes, and any other tax you pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If it means RTE doesnt turn into TV3, ill glady pay the license fee. Anyone who watches Vincent Brownes show on TV3 will know what a joke a station solely financed by ad revenue can be. I feel sorry for him. Hes constantly cutting off debate in order to take ANOTHER ad break. Recently when he took the first ad break too late, he had to squeeze two ad breaks into a 20 minute segment - Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

positron wrote: »
    Can I avoid this stupid pre wordwar tax by disabling the tuner component of my telly?
    No, I read somewhere that you even need a license for a broken television.
    Anything that's capable of being repaired to receive a signal.
    Ed_ wrote: »
    If you do not pay for the television licence then what right have you to criticise RTÉ?
    Possibly the fact that they're subject to large fines or jail time.
    And since when you do you need the right to criticise something?

Possibly the fact that they're subject to large fines or jail time.
    And since when you do you need the right to criticise something?

Only if they break the law. If they do not wish to pay the Irish television licence then get rid of their television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It works well, and proves in my mind without a shadow of a doubt that TV licenses are in fact a load of big hairy b*****x.
    That's not true, just look at the BBC, it's an excellent service and produces some of the best television in the world.
    bakedbean wrote: »
    The other thing it does is put RTE in the back pockets of their advertisers. But that's the public sector for you, they'd sell their arses to the highest bidder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

:rolleyes:

- the UK charge more than we do for a license

For a much more high quality service and more importantly - BBC HAVE NO ADS!!

RTE have their cake and eat it with TV Licence revenue and advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Never paid it, I simply refuse to, its an antiquated tax to keep overpaid gobshytes like Tubridy and Ryan in donuts and coffee, RTE already make money from revenue from ads, they show either homemade rubbish like Maeve Higgins and Jason Byrnes new shows or recycle 13 year old episodes of Father Ted and imported American shows, its not worth paying and Irish people need to cop on and simply refuse to pay it. I pay for Sky, thats enough, not enough people question RTE morals behind it "well you just have to, sit down and shut up about it" seems to be the standard RTE response

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    I pay for Sky, thats enough, not enough people question RTE morals behind it "well you just have to, sit down and shut up about it" seems to be the standard RTE response
    I think Sky is even worse than RTE, you barely get any more choice as once you take out all the repeated junk there's little left to watch that's worth watching. The advertising is crazy too, there's just to much of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Only if they break the law. If they do not wish to pay the Irish television licence then get rid of their television.
    Well, whether you're paying the licence, risking fines, or going without a TV for the sake of RTÉ, everyone has a stake in it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

It's not that easy. You can use a TV for other things besides receiving RTE. Like watching DVD's or playing the xbox. I use it as a computer monitor for my work. Why should I throw out a perfectly good television so as not to pay the RTE tax. If you want RTE and have no problems paying Gerry's huge wage ,then fine you pay for it. But, leave me out. I shouldn't have to pay tax so you can watch Tubridy. Taxes should be spent on things that are more important like schools or roads, not on an unnecessary entertainment network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

You can honestly say that you watch nothing transmitted by RTÉ. I bet you do. And what you watch I can guarantee others think it is bull****.

i) Nope, I don't. In fairness I TRY to watch RTE occasionally but then think 'what a pile of smellies' and switch over/off.

ii) I'm sure plenty of people think what I watch is bull****. Having different interests/ hobbies/ political leanings/ religions etc (and watching programmes about them) makes life interesting. My point is that much of RTE programming involves regurgitating old ideas or copying directly from other TV channels.

Have a look at http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/ and recommend something outstanding to me then:p

It's not that easy. You can use a TV for other things besides receiving RTE. Like watching DVD's or playing the xbox. I use it as a computer monitor for my work. Why should I throw out a perfectly good television so as not to pay the RTE tax. If you want RTE and have no problems paying Gerry's huge wage ,then fine you pay for it. But, leave me out. I shouldn't have to pay tax so you can watch Tubridy. Taxes should be spent on things that are more important like schools or roads, not on an unnecessary entertainment network.
    Sell the TV and just get a very large monitor to replace it. Most monitors of that size come with a range of inputs Mine had a DVI, HDMI and SVGA. If your using the PC for just about everything all you'll need is a HDMI for the XBox. I know it's a tad more complicated but it's worth it for the smug satisfaction you'll feel knowing your free of the tv inspector.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For a much more high quality service and more importantly - BBC HAVE NO ADS!!

RTE have their cake and eat it with TV Licence revenue and advertising.

RTE - pure rubbish.
    BBC - no ads - classic TV many times.

Here by the way is the next turn of events for tv.
    Look like it's going downhill even more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8252901.stm

Just wait till RTE catch on and do same. You thought it couldn't get any worse?
    Wait a while! :(

To all those who say "look at the BBC, better programmes and no ads", do you really think you would be saying the same if the BBC had a population of this size to get licence fee money from? Like hell you would.

Going by this thinking I would like all of that tax money that's taken from me to pay for social welfare, childrens allowance and so on to be put back in my wages. I mean I don't use it so why pay for it. That wont ever happen though and why should it. Some people use it

To all those who say "look at the BBC, better programmes and no ads", do you really think you would be saying the same if the BBC had a population of this size to get licence fee money from? Like hell you would.

Going by this thinking I would like all of that tax money that's taken from me to pay for social welfare, childrens allowance and so on to be put back in my wages. I mean I don't use it so why pay for it. That wont ever happen though and why should it. Some people use it

But you can claim back tax every year for loads of different things, RTE dont refund you for stuff you dont watch

I claim all taxes back? That's news to me. I best call the tax office only to be told to **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

There is a huge difference. Educating our children, providing healthcare, repairing our roads all benefit the future growth of Ireland. RTE does not. It's a complete unnecessary waste of the tax payers money. How can €600K a year to Gerry help us prosper as a nation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Now this is what I want to see on a TV -
    For this I'd pay a license! :D

I claim all taxes back? That's news to me. I best call the tax office only to be told to **** off.

No but rent, doctors bills etc you can, its all here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/index.html

I have every right, I'm irish i pay my taxes and want to watch our national champions compete in the WORLD championships if i have to watch BBC to see them then why pay the poxy licence,I would rather pay the British licence in this case. I can also watch a full F1 race without an advert with BBC , RTE had F1 for a few seasons and there were add breaks every 10 mins, thats not value for money so screw them. If they did show these world events without advertising then i would pay the licence.

i don't think you are grasping our point, i pay 1500 a year in road tax thats fine with me i use my car, i took home over 70,000 last year and paid well over 20,000 in tax, i have no problem with that either as it is supposedly being put to good use by the government which it isn't but thats another argument. my point is why pay TV licence if i'm not using the product.
    also just in case you use the argument that the revenue is used for other things outside TV well it is..radio 1, lyric Fm etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

TV licence man knocks at door. Do you have a TV licence? "No i have'nt got a TV". End of story. Don't give some ****ty excuse just say no and close the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

A simple measure of the percieved value to the irish people of RTE is this, if RTE was made a subscription channel rather than free to air and offered to the public for the princely sum of 3 quid a week, what percentage of households would deem it worthy of that vast expense? my guess is maybe 10%. I occasionally watch RTE, i can't honestly ever remember seeing something that i thought was fantastic, not once ever in the past 35 years!! If i had a choice i would not recieve RTE and would certainly not miss it, about the only decent show they have is no frontiers and as far as i know they don't even make that! I also don't pay the licence fee cos i choose not to, mainly on principle, partly out of wanting to keep the money. If RTEs "talent" are so talented why do none of them ever get poached, as far as i can tell hardly anyone ever starts on RTE and moves to bigger and better things, so why does RTE reckon they're worth these vast salaries? cut their pay in quarters, eights in some cases and they'll still stay with you cos no one else would f#cking take them at any price!! Another squanderous waste of your, not mine cos i don't pay it, money. Disgracefull. end of!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Im quite happy to pay the fee, because RTE has less advertising, it still has too much but.. In America there TV is an absolute a load of crap, if you think RTE is bad for the ads, American TV is disgraceful for it. I pay it for the less advertising and the RTE orchestra. Also to support TG4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Because of the fine if you dont pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JohnSmith101

In my house we all stopped watching TV about 16 months back and just stated we did not use any receiving equipment in the property.

They hassled us for a while more until we took down the antenna.

Don't miss anything and can catch most stuff worth catching online at my convenience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cian92 wrote: »
    Im quite happy to pay the fee, because RTE has less advertising, it still has too much but.. In America there TV is an absolute a load of crap, if you think RTE is bad for the ads, American TV is disgraceful for it. I pay it for the less advertising and the RTE orchestra. Also to support TG4.
    In Italy they have 3-10 second ads when the ball goes out of play during socer matches, like throw ins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

So does this mean if i get all cable related to tv channels removed from my house,and watch only dvds.I dont have to pay 160 anymore?:D

It used to be only 5 pounds.It took colossal hike in how much it cost.For what RTE is just a crap as it used to be.

Advertisement