Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week 2 Players of the Week thread

• 21-09-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

OFF: Kurt Warner (Cardinals vs. Jags)

Not a game I'm sure many people were watching, but I just saw the highlights - 24 of 26 for 243 yards and 2 touchdowns, making it 92.3% completion, the all-time NFL record completion rate for a quarterback with more than 20 attempts. Pretty impressive.

DEF: Michael Huff (Raiders CB vs. Chiefs)

Two interceptions and breaking up a fourth down play right at the death, essentially this was the guy scooping water with a bucket out of JaMarcus' sinking boat. Honorable mention to Charles Woodson, arguably the best corner in the league imo, two picks inc. one for a touchdown against the Bengals.

Rookie: Mark Sanchez (Jets vs. Pats)

Hey, rookie quarterback beats the Patriots AND he found Belichick to shake hands with him afterwards, despite being on a team of trash talking jerks. There's a career ahead of this guy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

OFF: Kurt Warner you cannot argue with an NFL best 92.3 percent completion.

DEF: Michael Huff, wow he looks good so far.

Rookie: Mark Sanchez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Offense: Casrson Palmer, Bengals, led the Bengals so impressively they actually looked like a real team. He doesn't have the weapons, the protection or the coaching of Warner either, his job is so much harder. Plus the Packers defense (with a little Cutler assistance) looked so good last week and he ripped them to shreds.

Defense: Darrelle Revis, Jets, kept Randy Moss in check with ease. Pretty much negated one of the best recievers in the league for a second week.

Rookie: Jonnhy Knox (Chi) 6 receptions, 70 yards and a td, for a rookie receiver, against the best defense in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

O - Still gotta say that Drew Brees is the man. (over 90 points in first two games alone_ This guy is a duuuuuude

D - NYJ- Holding 'Tom Terrific' to a measly few points

R- Gotta be the Playboy Sanchez again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Ok this is gonna sound a bit one sided but i am going 2 NY giants this week along with a Bear:

Offense: Eli Manning 330yards, 2Td's, No INT's, No Sacks and No Fumbles. Two receivers with almost 150yards. And a 3and a half minute game winning drive leading to a Tynes FG

Defence: Kenny Philips, 2 Pick's, one would have been a pick 6 if not for a referees mistake. Also 5 tackles and 2 assists, great game.

Rookie: Jonnhy Knox 6 receptions, 70 yards and a td, played very well unfortunately for my fantasy players of Olson and Hester.

Flop of the Week: Washington Redskins Offence. Against the Rams the manage only 3 field goals!

Honourable mentions:
    Off: Drew Breese, Kurt Warner, Philip Rivers, Matt Schaub, Frank Gore
    Def: Darren Sharper (98 Yard Pick), Scott Shanle (10 Tackles, 1 Assist)
    Rookie: Bruce Johnson (Pick 6 vs Cowboys), Mark Sanchez
    Flop: Pats Offensive Line, JaMarcus Russell, Tony Romo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Offence: Kurt Warner, completed more passes percentage wise than anybody in NFL history with more than 20 passes
    Defence: Elvis Dumervil from Denver had 4 sacks, 7 tackles and forced a fumble to lead the Broncos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Surely Frank Gore is the offensive player of the week, 207 yards and 2 tds and some receiving yards also as he almost single handedly won the game for the 49ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Frank Gore's running back of the week no doubt - but Kurt Warner's setting all-time records here.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Definitly Eli Manning after that performance against the Cowboys, true Romo made a few mistakes but the Giants really pulled it out for the inaugural game at the new stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Offense - Drew Brees ( Tacked on another 300 yard 3 TD game against one of the top 5 defenses in the league)

Defense - Darrell Revis (Id go as far as to say he single handedly won the game for the Jets)

Rookie - Sanchez (No turnovers, managed the game and thats exactly what a rooking should do. Reminds me of how Flacco went about his business last year.)

Flop - Jamarcus Russell. Raiders might have won but this guy just aint cutting the mustard

Honourable mentions

Offense -

Frank Gore - is he now back to his best ?

Marques Colston - a ton and 2 td's

Mannigham & Smith - Plaxico who ?

Johnny Knox - Impressive again by the rookie

Defense -

Ray Lewis - The guy is jsut soo good its incredible

Kenny Phillips - 2 picks and a solid game in coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

OFF: Frank Gore (200yrds on the ground)

DEF: Michael Huff (Great perfomance made the difference for my raiders this week and turned what could have been defeat in to victory)

ROOKIE: Sanchez (NYJ) for obvious reasons

Ryan Leaf award of the week: Jamarcus Russel.(The kid stinks up the joint at each and every game he plays in. He's lucky Garcia isnt there still, there would have been legitamite calls for him to be dropped in favour of Garcia)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I know it's early days yet and he won't keep up such a ridiculous pace, but Drew Brees after 1/8 of the regular season is on pace for 5352 yards of passing offense. Marino's record is 5084.

Brees is also on pace for 72 touchdowns, incidentally.

I think they call that a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Offense: Kurt Warner. On a normal day Gore would have won it but to avoid the Homer tag I'll take Warner. The stats tell the own story really

Defense: Antwan Odom- Five sacks and five tackles in the Bengals win.

Rookie: Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

O - Tie between Warner & Rivers
    D - Tie between Odom & Elvis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Offense: Warner
    Defense: Antwan Odom

Rookie: Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Karlusss wrote: »
    Frank Gore's running back of the week no doubt - but Kurt Warner's setting all-time records here.

So was Brett Favre. :pac: 271 straight starts. Will never, ever be broken. Hey, his 23 from 27 wasn't too bad either.

But my vote goes to Gore. It is, after all, player of the week, not all-time.

D: Antwan Odom, Bengals for his 5 sacks of Aaron Rodgers.

Rookie: Sanchez is a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Rookie of the week for me is Ray Maluaga. Im sorry Sanchez didnt have the fantastic game everybody says he did. Granted he was good but in fairness someone like Maluaga had more impact in his game with 2 tackles 2 assists 1 sack and 2 forced fumbles. Lets not forget sanchez's numbers look very good but he did fumble at one point and was saved by Faneca getting on the ball quickly and it took the Jets offense nearly a full half to get going.

Rookie of the week for me is Ray Maluaga. Im sorry Sanchez didnt have the fantastic game everybody says he did. Granted he was good but in fairness someone like Maluaga had more impact in his game with 2 tackles 2 assists 1 sack and 2 forced fumbles. Lets not forget sanchez's numbers look very good but he did fumble at one point and was saved by Faneca getting on the ball quickly and it took the Jets offense nearly a full half to get going.

John your underestimating what Sanchez did, plus being a pats fan your biased against him :p

First job of a rookie QB. Dont turn over the ball, second job of a rookie QB dont turn over the ball. Third rule of a rookie QB dont pass unless absolutly necessary. Forth rule dont turn over the ball.

2-0 hes managing the offense exactly how he should. Joe Flacco mark II. Great decision making, and great leadership skills

I must admit I thought he would be a bust. I wasnt overly impressed with him when I saw USC last year but there you go.

D3PO wrote: »
    John your underestimating what Sanchez did, plus being a pats fan your biased against him :p

First job of a rookie QB. Dont turn over the ball, second job of a rookie QB dont turn over the ball. Third rule of a rookie QB dont pass unless absolutly necessary. Forth rule dont turn over the ball.

2-0 hes managing the offense exactly how he should. Joe Flacco mark II. Great decision making, and great leadership skills

I must admit I thought he would be a bust. I wasnt overly impressed with him when I saw USC last year but there you go.

No you see you missed my point on Sanchez. No biasism at all I appreciate good ball players. I clearly said he was good but I dont think he deserves rookie of the weak because:

A) The Patriots Defense didnt pressure him and he had ample time to throw the football at a weak secondary

B) It took him nearly 2 Quarters to get his offense working.

C) He did fumble but was saved by Faneca picking it up.

D) His numbers were not outstanding and the impact he made didn't win the game for the Jets. Their Defense won the game for them.

E) Its easy to say a QB deserves rookie of the week or player of the week when they get ample numbers to win a game.

And my last point someone Like Maluaga who will be over looked as usual when player of the week comes into peoples heads because he wasnt in the spotlight and people tend not to look at Defensive rookies or linemen when making their decision as the cameras are not on them constantly. Like Mayo last year it took 5 or 6 games before people noticed how amazing he was doing as a rookie. Simply put since I coach football I tend to start noticing more and more of the work put in by other players and I feel Sanchez does not warrant rookie of the week or simply doing the job asked of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm slightly with tallaght on this one. Sanchez had an OK game and didn't do much wrong, but he didn't have to do much either

For me;

Offensive - Matt Schaub - Brilliant performance against a good D. particularly after last week's stinker

Defensive - Antwan Odom - Sacks, sacks, sacks

Rookie - Johnny Knox. Leader receiver against the best pass D in football.

OH and one more thing. People shouldn't really take these lists seriously. Very few of us see more than 3/4 games so obviously we're going on highlights and box scores. There's nothing wrong with that, but no need for people to get heated about a little light hearted banter

Dodge wrote: »
    I'm slightly with tallaght on this one. Sanchez had an OK game and didn't do much wrong, but he didn't have to do much either

For me;

Offensive - Matt Schaub - Brilliant performance against a good D. particularly after last week's stinker

Defensive - Antwan Odom - Sacks, sacks, sacks

Rookie - Johnny Knox. Leader receiver against the best pass D in football.

Knox would have been my second choice. Kid was on fire and showed he has bags of potential this year. His hands were flawless at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Pretty impressive showing my Drew Brees. An almost faultless display against a pretty mean secondary. With honourable mention to Carlson Palmer who arguably was as sensational as Brees with less weapons and a pretty weak(albeit getting stronger) offensive line.

Charles Woodson put on two great interceptions so he'd be my defensive player of the week. Although you could pick any number of Jets as defensive player of the week, Kerry Rhodes, Darrele Revis. Boy does there defense look tough.

So you'd have a Bengals QB and a Green bay DB as potw. Did you only see one game? :D

Kidding btw, as above, its all about personal opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

O: Adrian Peterson.

the spotlight and people tend not to look at Defensive rookies or linemen when making their decision as the cameras are not on them constantly. .

I cant be accused of that if I had to pick the outstanding player on anyside of the ball from week 2 it was Revis. Didnt put up the stats but was outstanding - so that covers defense

my week 1 player of the week would have been Seymour so that covers linemen :P

I know what your saying though people go for stats when selecting player of the week type things. Exactly why I feel Warner didnt deserve it in week 2. He was never pressured at all, besides which he has arguably the best recieving core in the league to aim at so putting up the compeltion numbers he did although superb need to be taken into context a bit.

Dont get me wrong it was some achievement though.

same as farve excellent % last week but all bar 3 of his passes (i think it was 3) were either at or behind the line of scrimmage.

OH and one more thing. People shouldn't really take these lists seriously. Very few of us see more than 3/4 games so obviously we're going on highlights and box scores. There's nothing wrong with that, but no need for people to get heated about a little light hearted banter

Im not sure anybody is getting heated from what ive read. Its good to debate each others picks though.

D3PO wrote: »
    Im not sure anybody is getting heated from what ive read. Its good to debate each others picks though.

Yeah I would agree with this. Dodge I dont know why you think anyone is heated. Its an open forum for discussion and the whole is to debate and discuss. I threw my concern about peoples choices and people threw their reasons back no heated debate anywhere more than mere discussion. I do find though that often that some peoples opinions are swayed by others or by the general media putting players in the spotlight. Had sanchez played a different team at the weekend no one and i mean no one would have said he deserves player of the week based on his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

So you'd have a Bengals QB and a Green bay DB as potw. Did you only see one game? :D

Kidding btw, as above, its all about personal opinion

Because it'd be totally inconcievable for two players in the one game to produce great performances? No but i guess i'm a bit biased since i'm a Bengals fan, just great to see Palmer back to somewhere were he was a few years ago. As for Woodson, i don't think i even need to justify that.

rich1874 wrote: »
    Because it'd be totally inconcievable for two players in the one game to produce great performances? No but i guess i'm a bit biased since i'm a Bengals fan, just great to see Palmer back to somewhere were he was a few years ago. As for Woodson, i don't think i even need to justify that.

See I'd take the opposit view. I'd say Palmer's performance was terrific, but GB gave up a ton of yards and 3 TDs in the air so even if Woodson had 2 interceptions, I don't think he played that well (going on highlights obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Adrian Peterson.

• Advertisement

Vikings wrote: »
    Adrian Peterson.

Who?

Advertisement