Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeymoon with a difference - Alaska cruise and more - Anybody done one?

Options
  • 21-09-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Has anybody been on one? We're not ones for sun holidays and the thought of being in 30+ degree heat and humidity is our worst nightmare.

So that rules out all the usual suspects. And we're travelling start of June so it'll be pretty hot most places we go.

So having chatted to travel agent, the plan now is possibly:

Fly to Vancouver;
    Few nights in Vancouver Island;
    Do Alaska cruise north to Skagway;
    Fly back to Vancouver;
    Drive through Rockies to Calgary stopping off en-route for couple nights;
    Then fly home to Ireland.

Longshot I know, but has anybody done anything remotely similar?

Or any advice people might have about any aspects of above plan?

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Col200sx wrote: »
    Has anybody been on one? We're not ones for sun holidays and the thought of being in 30+ degree heat and humidity is our worst nightmare.

So that rules out all the usual suspects. And we're travelling start of June so it'll be pretty hot most places we go.

So having chatted to travel agent, the plan now is possibly:

Fly to Vancouver;
    Few nights in Vancouver Island;
    Do Alaska cruise north to Skagway;
    Fly back to Vancouver;
    Drive through Rockies to Calgary stopping off en-route for couple nights;
    Then fly home to Ireland.

Longshot I know, but has anybody done anything remotely similar?

Or any advice people might have about any aspects of above plan?

Thanks in advance:)

Friends of mine did this and they loved it, although they were in their 40s. It's meant to be an excellent sightseeing and relaxing holiday, but don't count on weather at that time of the year.

We toyed with the idea of something similar but in the end decided against it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 conbre

didnt do the cruise, but flew to new york for3 nights, drove to montreal via niagra, toronto etc, flew to calgary, drove to vancouver through the rockies, banff and whistler, absoloutly amazing trip.. beautiful country. we went in september, weather was cold, but fresh and brisk, clear skies

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

friends of mine did one as part of month away in june just gone. They found the cruise spectacular, the only complaint they had was the price of the optional excursions, they were all very very expensive. But then again they are optional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Friends of mine did this and they loved it, although they were in their 40s. It's meant to be an excellent sightseeing and relaxing holiday, but don't count on weather at that time of the year.

We toyed with the idea of something similar but in the end decided against it

Cool, sightseeing is what we want. We're not into hot weather so whatever the weather throws up next June is fine.
    conbre wrote: »
    didnt do the cruise, but flew to new york for3 nights, drove to montreal via niagra, toronto etc, flew to calgary, drove to vancouver through the rockies, banff and whistler, absoloutly amazing trip.. beautiful country. we went in september, weather was cold, but fresh and brisk, clear skies

How did you find the drive through the Rockies? Did it take you long? Are there many places to book into along the way?
    gizmo73 wrote: »
    friends of mine did one as part of month away in june just gone. They found the cruise spectacular, the only complaint they had was the price of the optional excursions, they were all very very expensive. But then again they are optional

Travel agent said alright that the excursions are only optional, but I suppose while you're there if it's what you want to do the price shouldn't be too much of a deterrent

i think we spent around a week driving through the rockies, lots of lovely little quiet towns, and busy ones, whitewater rafting, canoeing, walking on glaciers. we checked accom on the net for whatever place we would be arriving at the next day, never did we not get sorted. the best thing about hiring a car, you can go off the beaten track, and if you like a place you can stay a bit longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

conbre wrote: »
    i think we spent around a week driving through the rockies, lots of lovely little quiet towns, and busy ones, whitewater rafting, canoeing, walking on glaciers. we checked accom on the net for whatever place we would be arriving at the next day, never did we not get sorted. the best thing about hiring a car, you can go off the beaten track, and if you like a place you can stay a bit longer

Brilliant. That sounds amazing. Just what we want.

We'll be renting a car and driving through, so we'll have probably a week to do it (from Vancouver - Calgary - Google maps says it's 421miles).

But every time I think of driving through the Rockies I think of that scene in Dumb & Dumber with the two of them on the little scooter:D

she would be well impressed arriving at car hire to a scooter, it would really test the marriage.
    definatly stop at banff and whistler, amazing scenry

Advertisement