Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Afterhours.

Options
  • 21-09-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

I feel I've been unfairly banned from Afterhours by Dr. Bollocko, I've talked with him through PM but since neither of us could come to an agreement he directed me here.

I feel very little thought was put into banning me, first he told me I was banned for trolling, then when I pmed him he later went on to say he banned me fore threatening another boards user. This is what I was banned for

"I shan't say yes or no to your predicament, but if I see you in that dress you're gettin' bet. " (Myself)
    That's a threat of violence on a user right there. (Dr Bollocko)

I really wouldn't consider that an actual threat, it was quite obviously said in a joking manner, like many posts in AH. If I was going to threaten the OP with violence, common sense says I would have done it a lot more threateningly eh?

Anyway, cheers for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62201813&postcount=41
    That was a contentious thread. Your comment was trolling as it was guaranteed to provoke a reaction. I thought it was unwarranted and very OTT. In fact I was disgusted by it. After reading it the last thing I wanted to do was entertain any kind of PM conversation.
    It did not come across as being posted in a joking or non-serious manner. Please expand a little on why you would think that it is obviously the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Well then, all I can say is this is two very differing senses of humor. There's little to no point of me trying to explain it as it boils down to a sense of humor essentially, and ours aren't similar in the slightest.

Considering I no longer have access to said thread, can you quote me any reactions from the post or have you removed it? It might have been offensive, for which I apolgoize but I certainly don't feel it was worthy of a 7 day ban considering I've never been in trouble with mods before, at most I think it's deserving of a warning and that's it.

This was sent to me earlier on, by another boards user who I've never seen before so it's safe to say it's rather biasless.
    Wompa1 wrote:
    I can't reply to your post because I'm restricted but I visit After Hours too and have seen far worse on it and agree it was harsh...the forum is full of flippant remarks. Feel free to post this if you want or can

Thanks anyway to you Wompa, as Wompa said AH is full of many sarcastic / joking comments similar to what I posted. I've assumed by now since little to no action seems to be taken against them that they are accepted as jokes. If you're that serious and that easily offended Dr. Bollocko, I'm surprised the majority of AH isn't under bans right now, no offense intended.

I posted this 24 hours ago. I don't want to sound rude, but would anyone in the suitable position care to give an answer to my problem? It's not as if it would take more than 5 minutes to examine the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

People aren't always on call, you know.

Patience is a virtue.

Anyway, to the point, what some other user (and hardly an upstanding one at that has to say on the issue with your post) has as about as much relevance to this as Jordan's most recent breast size.

Let's deal with your post, and your post alone: it wasn't big, it wasn't clever. I see no reason to overrule the mods on this one.

I still don't see how this constitutes a 7 day ban though, that seems totally unfair for what is essentially a wrongly worded joke. I've never had a problem with mods before, I've never had any infractions put against me before, I think a warning is more than fair enough for this.

I can understand a 7 ban is this was a repeated offense, but what I'm trying to point out is there is many similar crude / sarcastic remarks in AH yet nothing seems to be done about them, I make one false move not done intentionally and I'm hit with a 7 day ban? Seems pretty unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You're assuming a hard and fast "scale" is in operation. That isn't the case. Bans, like most moderation desicions, are contextual and will vary as a result.

There is no one size fits all.

Advertisement