Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In The Well: Novella

• 21-09-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this thread, it is time for our next brave volunteer to face the questions. I want those quilted shoes she bought, it's Novella!

*applause*

For those of you who are unsure of how this works, please read the thread I linked to above.

A few rules:

1. Keep questions limited to fashion/appearance issues
    2. No personal questions
    3. No discussion of the answers. Questions only and only Novella answers them.

If you want to add your name to the list you can do so in the thread linked to above.

I will leave this thread open for a week or so.

My first question for Novella: Do you have a style icon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

janeybabe wrote: »
    My first question for Novella: Do you have a style icon?

I don't really have a style icon, tbh. I do really like how Fearne Cotton and Alexa Chung dress but I don't exactly have the money for Mulberry bags or Chanel dresses! Maybe someday! :rolleyes:

I like Fearne 'cause she always looks really cool but in an offbeat way. She is quite grungy, eccentric and thrown together and I like that whole vibe and look. I think her new clothing range for Very.co.uk is pretty cute too! :)

Fearne_Cotton_520798a.jpg

I think Alexa Chung looks well too. She does the whole monochrome thing really nicely, I think.

20090403_thrup_560x375.jpg

I don't try to dress like anyone else though. I think it's more that sometimes I am inspired by what others are wearing and these are the two who spring to mind. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Whats your favourite item of clothing in your wardrobe?
    What are your essential beauty products?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You've been on a spree, your card is starting to melt at the edges and you can only afford the shoes, or the dress, or the bag. What do you take home?

Hats, yay or nay?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Which is your favourite style era? (Victorian, 40's, 20's etc.)

Do you look at any fashion websites/blogs?

What styles at the moment do you love?

Do you shop in 2nd hand/charity shops? If so, any bargains got there?

panda100 wrote: »
    Whats your favourite item of clothing in your wardrobe?
    What are your essential beauty products?

Oooh, that is a REALLY hard question! It would be so hard for me to pick one favourite thing. I just bought some really cool, chunky cardigans in River Island over the weekend, which I love.
    1 1251848403_s_0.jpg

Can't find pictures of the other two, but they're very 80's and I'm liking them at the moment!

I also have a purple Forever 21 dress with a big, huge bow on the neckline which everyone asks where I got. It was only twenty dollars and I'm in love with it! It's my fall back for nights out when I dunno what to wear!

My essential beauty products..... I always have a lil tub of Carmex on me and Botanics Super Balm! I'm obsessed with Max Factor False Lash Effect mascara and Smashbox primer. No matter what foundation you put on over that, it looks good! If I listed all the stuff I like, I'd be here all night! :pac:

OldGoat wrote: »
    You've been on a spree, your card is starting to melt at the edges and you can only afford the shoes, or the dress, or the bag. What do you take home?

Hats, yay or nay?

Another hard question, but I've been in that situation many a time! If the bag was a vintage quilted Chanel, then of course that would be what I'd take! I know so many people love Chanel and there are knock off's everywhere now but I just think they make any outfit look glamourous!
    Nicola Roberts from Girls Aloud always seems to have a Chanel bag on her arm, no matter what she is wearing and it just takes jeans and a t-shirt from a bland outfit to an oooooh outfit!

I'm a big fan of hats! :) Unfortunately, I now have a haircut which makes hats look stupid on me! On one side, my hair is really short and long on the other (sounds awful!!!) so if I have a hat on, it looks completely strange!

I will back wearing hats when it grows a bit though!
    Larianne wrote: »
    Which is your favourite style era? (Victorian, 40's, 20's etc.)

Do you look at any fashion websites/blogs?

What styles at the moment do you love?

Do you shop in 2nd hand/charity shops? If so, any bargains got there?

Hmm, my favourite fashion era is probably the 40's! It was like the glamour era. I like the make up the most. The flawless skin, red lips, winged eyes. I think it's all very beautiful. I'd love if it was still the forties actually! :)

As for fashion websites and blogs, not really, no!
    I like www.vintageous.com though. I love vintage accessories and cocktail dresses so I go on there to have a look!
    Other than that, I am subscribed to Topshop style notes 'cause I am a highsteet girl. :pac: I spend some time on River Island's website too 'cause I work there and it gives me some inspiration on how to put looks together for customers and things!

At the moment, I am loving layering! T-shirt with a shirt over, followed by a cardigan. I like it 'cause it takes some imagination to put an outfit like this together as opposed to just throwing on one top so it keeps me interested in the mornings getting ready for work!
    I like the punky bits and pieces that around too. I really wanna buy a pair of heels covered in studs but I only got paid on Friday and I'm already nearly broke! :(

I never really shop second hand, but I am going to start! When I was about thirteen or fourteen, I was really into punk and I remember buying a tartan mini skirt in a charity shop for only two euro! I wore than thing to death! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Novella wrote: »
    I'd love if it was still the forties actually! :)

Oh, me too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Blokes. Whats right, whats wrong.

***On a sidenote, you're near-always spot on target in F&A, *thumbs up* Looking forward to seeing where this 'In The Well' goes.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Blokes. Whats right, whats wrong.

***On a sidenote, you're near-always spot on target in F&A, *thumbs up* Looking forward to seeing where this 'In The Well' goes.

It's hard for me to say what's right and what's wrong exactly 'cause what's right on one person may be completely wrong on another! I'll give you an idea of how I like a guy to be dressed though :pac:

the-kooks.jpg

I am probably gonna get slated for this but as I said up there, somewhere, I like layering at the moment. The same goes for guys! I like a t-shirt, a shirt or jumper and some sort of jacket over. I just like to see a bit of imagination and effort really 'cause anyone can put on a t-shirt! (I have nothing against wearing a t-shirt by itself, I do it all the time! :pac:)

I know every guy is doing the indie type look now, with Converse and checked shirts so while I do think it looks good, I just think it's a bit overdone right now. Any guy who can put a twist on it is good, in my book!

A few of my favourites, clothes-wise -

ashton-kutcher-ashton-kucther-promo.jpg

GeorgeCraig-Leadvocalistinonenighto.jpg

RachelAdam_325.jpg

I think how a man accessorises is really important and way too often, men don't do it all. I think that's what I'd like to see more of! In all honesty though, I'm no expert on mens clothes, I spend all my time working with women so anything I have said is just what I like personally and how I would dress, if I was a guy!! :)

*On a side note, thank you very much! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

What's the most expensive item of clothing (not shoes!) that you've bought?

Is there any item of clothing you own that you love so much you regret not buying two at the time so you would have one for when it falls apart?

Any everyday style you wish you could pull off but just know it doesn't work/suit you?

If you could assume the persona or someone for one day; a goth, a burlesque dancer, a high school cheerleader or D4 chick look etc etc (okay these are outrageous but!!) what style would you pick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Fake tan: Yay or nay, and if so which one(s)?

Your biggest fashion mistakes?!

If you had €200 to spend on clothes, would you rather get one fabulous item, or go on a mad shopping spree in Penneys?

• Advertisement

What's the most expensive item of clothing (not shoes!) that you've bought?

Oh jesus! I don't know! I'm not a huge spender really, on one item, I just have loads and loads of cheap things! :pac: I guess the biggest amount of money I have ever spent on one thing was a hundred euro on a tiny cardigan in Topshop. I have only worn it once or twice but I fell in love with it and had to have it! I know that isn't much but hey, it's all Penney's and River Island discount for me!! :)

Is there any item of clothing you own that you love so much you regret not buying two at the time so you would have one for when it falls apart?

Awh yeah! I had these ballet pumps from River Island. They were white and had lil diamonds on them. I loved them to death and ruined them one day when I was in a forest! :( I miss them!

Any everyday style you wish you could pull off but just know it doesn't work/suit you?

Em no, not really! If I want to do something and feel comfortable doing so, I don't really care if other people think it doesn't "suit" me or whatever. I can't think of anything at the moment I'd love to be able to wear but feel that I can't, tbh! (Other than hats, 'cause I have sh!t hair!!!!!)

If you could assume the persona or someone for one day; a goth, a burlesque dancer, a high school cheerleader or D4 chick look etc etc (okay these are outrageous but!!) what style would you pick?

A burlesque dancer, of course!!! I'd be Dita Von Teese for a day. :D
    Fake tan: Yay or nay, and if so which one(s)?

Nay. Not my cup of tea at all. I wouldn't spend any amount of money to pretend to be a different colour than I am! I just don't get it!

Your biggest fashion mistakes?!

Everything I wear will be a fashion mistake at some stage.

If you had €200 to spend on clothes, would you rather get one fabulous item, or go on a mad shopping spree in Penneys?

Well, I don't think two hundred euro is enough to buy one FABULOUS item so I'd hit Penney's with that! If you gave me a grand, I'd buy a designer bag though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Fashion mags - What do you buy, what do you read on the cheap, what works from the mags in retail?

Time starts...

Now.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Fashion mags - What do you buy, what do you read on the cheap, what works from the mags in retail?

Time starts...

Now.

Haha :)

I buy Look every single week without fail! Not for the crappy gossip either, it's always the same! I'd buy Vogue but it is SO expensive so I just read that if someone buys it in work! :)

We constantly get people in saying they saw such and such in a magazine and wanna buy it! The truth is, though, things look WAY different in magazines! What works in general is if someone famous is spotted out and about in a River Island dress, it'll be a good seller! :pac:

I never really buy anything I see in magazines though! I just like 'em for the make up and hair tips and to see what's up and coming for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If yer going to post pics like those ^^^ then check out V, i-D and Wonderland - I'm preferring them to Vogue at the moment, and they're usually working out a bit cheaper (I think... I've lost track...) :)

Also, recessionary tip; Most mags are running articles and blogs online which are great to keep track of :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

What do you think is a must have for every girls closet? (with the exception of the lbd)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have you found that your style has changed since you started working in RI?

Do you have a "go-to" outfit that you can out on on of those days where nothing seems to look nice?! Casual or dressy, or both?

Fajitas! wrote: »
    If yer going to post pics like those ^^^ then check out V, i-D and Wonderland - I'm preferring them to Vogue at the moment, and they're usually working out a bit cheaper (I think... I've lost track...) :)

Also, recessionary tip; Most mags are running articles and blogs online which are great to keep track of :)

Why, thank you very much :)
    lasair wrote: »
    What do you think is a must have for every girls closet? (with the exception of the lbd)

A pair of well fitting jeans! I mean, everyone wears jeans but people seem to find it really hard to find one's which actually fit them. With a staple such as jeans, I think it is worth dedicating a day and trying on a million zillion pairs until you find the perfect pair!

Other than the LBD, I think it is really important to have a nice going out outfit that you can wear when you don't wanna buy something new etc, something you know looks good on you and that you feel great in. :) Of course, I have a LBD, but I also have my "Little Purple Dress" and it never fails to make me feel good when I'm going out!
    Twee. wrote: »
    Have you found that your style has changed since you started working in RI?

Do you have a "go-to" outfit that you can out on on of those days where nothing seems to look nice?! Casual or dressy, or both?

Oh, majorly!!! I hated RI before I started working there, thought it was tacky and just awful but here I am, over two years later and I own a huge amount of RI clothing!

I have to wear RI jeans to work so I must have about thirty or forty pairs at this stage. I used to be a skinny jeans and only skinny jeans girl but since I started working in RI, I can be found in boyfriend jeans and slouch and peg legs too!

I guess my style is still kinda similar, messy, slightly alternative, just with a River Island twist! I think I'm more grown up now but that could also be because I was eighteen when I started working there and am twenty now!

I constantly get in trouble for wearing non-RI clothes so I'm definitely not a dedicated Island girl and it is not my favourite place to shop by any means! :pac:

Casual - not so much! If I'm having an 'everything looks terrible' on me day, I'll usually resort to some kinda over-sized t-shirt or jumper with skinny jeans and sandals! I'm devastated the weather is too cold for sandals now 'cause I have quite the collection but only a a few pairs of boots! :(
    Then I just accessorise to make myself feel better! :) I love statement jewelery, really big necklaces and cocktail rings and stuff.

My dressy "go-to" outfit is the afforementioned Forever 21 purple dress. I bought it in New York so I never see anyone else wearing it which can happen with highstreet, especially RI dresses!

It's kinda chiffon, really short and loose and has a huge bow on the neckline. It's all very simple apart from the big bow, which I love. I can wear it with bare legs or sometimes I wear it with tights or even over really tight jeans for semi-casual 'cause I love it THAT much!

EVERY time I wear it someone admires it so I know it's goodie and considering I only paid twenty dollars for it, I can safely say, it owes me nothing :) I can't find a pic of it anywhere! :(

Thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I was talking to a mate earlier who works in a TkMaxx in Norn Iron, and she hates it (Its like Operation Christmas Child meets Topshop really)

So if not River Island, where?

*Fashion wise, I'd love to work in Size?, gotta love them sneeeks.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I was talking to a mate earlier who works in a TkMaxx in Norn Iron, and she hates it (Its like Operation Christmas Child meets Topshop really)

So if not River Island, where?

*Fashion wise, I'd love to work in Size?, gotta love them sneeeks.

I couldn't possibly be a traitor and answer that!! Haha :P

Well I worked in Topshop before so I won't say there, even though it was pretty cool. I'd like to work in Urban Outfitters actually, think that'd be fun or BT2!

Size? is amazing but I wouldn't wanna work somewhere that just sold shoes 'cause it's nice to have a discount to spend on everything! :)

Advertisement