Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G - Is it really worth the battery usage?

• 21-09-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to think not. EDGE is more than fast enough for what I need and 3G tends to use battery much quicker. At a guess this would be because it's constantly searching for both 3G and GSM networks, and that transfering data over 3G is more intensive. Also coverage tends to be weaker meaning more power from the phone's point of view. Given that EDGE tends to be more reliable and 3G uses more battery power, is leaving 3G on worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I agree with the Capt. In general though, it all boils down to what network you're on, as Vodafone and 3 don't have an EDGE network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a new 3g phone and one of the first things I did was to fix it to GSM only. Only takes a few seconds to switch to 3g if I need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I don't bother with 3G. Uses too much battery power and has pretty inferior call coverage compared to GSM. While it would be nice for Vodafone to update their GPRS systems to EDGE, all I do is check the e-mail on the phone and maybe use the A-GPS - GPRS just about suffices (just about!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

I use 3G for when i connect my laptop to the phone but if you don't use that and you don't use video calls or download torrents on your phone

i find that 3G also has a tendency to 'lag out' or something, the phone thinks it has coverage but as soon as you try to do anything it goes looking for a GSM network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Just to clarify, I've started to do this myself lately. I'm on Meteor. I'm not looking for advice, just looking for other peoples opinions, starting a discussion if you will :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

To be honest, GSM voice call quality is sufficient for the majority of users, however, there will always be a minority who prefer the additional clarity 3G brings to voice calls.

When it comes to data usage, web browsing would clearly be better served by a faster connection, but if email client is generally the only access to the Internet that's required, like myself, then EDGE is more than sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Rsaeire wrote: »
    To be honest, GSM voice call quality is sufficient for the majority of users, however, there will always be a minority who prefer the additional clarity 3G brings to voice calls.

When it comes to data usage, web browsing would clearly be better served by a faster connection, but if email client is generally the only access to the Internet that's required, like myself, then EDGE is more than sufficient.

I find EDGE can be more than fast enough for browsing the web. Mobile broadband brings alot of congestion to 3G at times, which if it mightn't make it look too much slower on a phone, it will definitely mess with the reliability. Youtube is the only thing I'd use 3G for, but I don't use that much.

Advertisement