Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to development from an implementation position?

Options
  • 21-09-2009 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭

I've just got made redundant and thinking of changing tack toward software development as that seems to be where the opportunities are and the life of a consultant really doesn't suit my lifestyle any more (i.e. I'm now a dad).

A bit of background: I've a B.Comm with an MIS major and H. Dip in Systems Analysis where I exceled at VB6 (97% final mark between the exam and the typical student projects - an airline reservation system and a video library system) and was competent in the little bit of JAVA they taught us (can't remember my score but would have been top three in the course).

I've spent the last 3 years implementing software (after 3 years providing top level support for it) where I've been heavily involved with modifications and bespoke modules for clients. I've designed and spec'd mods to the point of writing the pseudo-code, can understand most asp / vb / asp.net when I read the source code and am proficient enough with SQL to write stored procedures which have become part of core product / helped tailor it to meet a specific client's needs. I'm thinking of pursuing .NET as while I'm uncertified, I can match most DBAs on SQL Server

Am I mad to think that I can make the jump at this stage of my career without losing a *huge* chunk of my salary and starting back at the 20-30k mark? Has anyone got experience of a similar move? Any recommendations of courses to do (particularly ones FAS will pay for / contribute towards)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Well you could go the analyst/dev route where you've a foot in both camps. Getting some MS certs will be a good idea. You'll probably will be looking at a paycut but I doubt you'll be back down to the 20k mark. What are the job prospects? Dunno, but it won't be as easy as it was 2 years ago.

TBH a good analyst in a dev role is worth their weight in gold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Seems to be lots of work out there for ASP.net developers and that's where I'd be thinking of aiming for.

An analyst/dev role would be right up my street. Any recommendations as to which MS certs you'd look for most if hiring someone to do web app developments with .NET?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I was in a similar situation a couple of years back. I have a degree in Business (DIT) and a post grad (DCU) in IT. I was working in a very well paid job as a high level Production Support Analyst for the Company's in house applications. I decided when I moved to the UK that I wanted to get out of the Support end of things and in to the Development as I was tired of the long hours and being on call on the weekends etc. I guess there was an element of luck involved but I'm now happily employed in a Telecoms Company doing a lot more rewarding work developing in house Applications mostly with .Net/SQL. My expertise is in the SQL end of things and my knowledge has definitely flourished as a result.

It was a real struggle for the first 6 months with developing in .NET. Many late nights were spent reading up on how best practice and code snipets etc. I had done a few .NET courses in my last job but they were only really skimming the surface type courses but gave me a decent grounding in it. I've now built up a nice little repository of .NET code and SQL which I back up to my USB stick every day ;)

I did have to take a pay cut but cost of living where I am is a hell of a lot lower than it was in Dublin. I can't say I don't miss the extra disposable income but I make enough to be comfortable and I'm far more happy in my job as I don't have to be available 24/7.

You'll have to weigh up the pros/cons of pay vs rewarding work. If you have the means to take a pay cut (which no doubt you will have to) you will be rewarded with a far more interesting job as a result. Just my two cents.

Advertisement