Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice (IRL) - Season 2 Week 1 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Last year I sat through the entire series of this show and quite enjoyed ripping it to shreds along the way but this year after watching one episode I can safely say I will not be wasting one more minute on this farce.

A few observations -

1. Cullen is not a business mogul or an "executive" that anybody would seriosuly aspire to be like or work for.

2. I cannot for the life of me understand the media love in that Cullen and the show seem to enjoy on the likes of Newstalk and Today FM, can all of these outlets really think that the show is beyond criticism :confused:

3. After one episode I can safely say that all of the contestants are clowns and good luck to Bill if he has to employ one of them at the end, they deserve each other.

4. Cullen said at the start of the show when they were first introduced to him some load of tosh like "yis'er dont know wat Im looking fer this year, cos the times have changed an tha'". I could safely say he doesnt have a notion himself what hes looking for. Last years winner ended up selling bridal packages in his hotel in Kerry, awe inspiring stuff. Pretty much sums up what this person could end up doing if they win! Cullen does not have an empire of companies so apart from the teaser of a "six figure" package why else would people seriously apply?

5. Selling ice-cream is not going to tell you anything about someones commercial acumen, the fact that Bill's "advisors" perpetually commented on the days events like a couple of taxmen on an audit said it all. If they cant see the irony in all this they should watch repeats of last nights show till the penny drops.

6. ROFL at some of the job titles that the contestants had themselves advertised as.

The gimp that was fired was titled as a "retail business development executive" or some nonense, in other words a shelf stacker or merchandiser.

The inner city girl was down as a company owner, then eluded to working the stalls in town :rolleyes:

The Harvard graduate had the personality of a chalkboard and by the sounds of it hasnt actually even had a job FFS. What were the parents thinking when they named him :eek:

7. Cullen would argue about the colour of a fire engine just for the sake of argument, I was waiting for him to complain about the stock levels. Damned if you do, damned if you dont, just for the sake of spouting something. He wanted fire a guy last night because he wasnt smiling FFS. Fair play to the guy for putting it up to him but that pretty much sums it up, "sorry me aul flower, you didnt get the job cos ye werent smiling, Im looking for SMILERS".

I wasnt bothered watching the You're Fired show but sounds even worse based on what I have seen here today.

TV3 have learned nothing from last year and it deserves to fail, it probably wont though as its getting ratings for all the wrong reasons, i.e. cringe TV not because of its a brilliantly produced show or has someone worth listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Emmmooo

Repeat on Tonight on 3e(SKY channel 182)think it is on at 10 check tv listings,you're fired is on after it.You'll probably find 3e will repeat it again before next weeks,last year they used to repeat it on a Sunday night.

I don't see Fishlips Lavan recoiling in horror when Cullen refers to her as his 'right hand man' the way she did when Col Blinky said that two guys were arguing like a pair of auld women!
    I was PMSL at that "Jackie has been my right hand man now for 30 years". Probably explains a few things in fairness.
    Darragh wrote: »
    I'm pimping a bit folks but I was at the launch of this show yesterday in Dublin and got to interview Brian Purcell, Nicky O'Callaghan and Conor Carmody from Meteor and to watch the show over lunchtime.

Interview is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuJI-2zfTnw

:)
    God help you Darragh. What was it like being surrounded by such corporate luminaries for the afternoon :o Purcell said it was a great experience working with Bill for 3 years, perhaps he has a point, 3 years of learning how not to do business ;)

And to top it offyou got to speak to Nikki who talks through her nose, shes writing for the sunday world, OMG, shes really cracked the big time since being on the show. I wonder how she fits it in with her estate agent career...oh hold on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Sizzler wrote: »
    Last year I sat through the entire series of this show and quite enjoyed ripping it to shreds along the way but this year after watching one episode I can safely say I will not be wasting one more minute on this farce.

A few observations -

1. Cullen is not a business mogul or an "executive" that anybody would seriosuly aspire to be like or work for.

2. I cannot for the life of me understand the media love in that Cullen and the show seem to enjoy on the likes of Newstalk and Today FM, can all of these outlets really think that the show is beyond criticism :confused:

3. After one episode I can safely say that all of the contestants are clowns and good luck to Bill if he has to employ one of them at the end, they deserve each other.

4. Cullen said at the start of the show when they were first introduced to him some load of tosh like "yis'er dont know wat Im looking fer this year, cos the times have changed an tha'". I could safely say he doesnt have a notion himself what hes looking for. Last years winner ended up selling bridal packages in his hotel in Kerry, awe inspiring stuff. Pretty much sums up what this person could end up doing if they win! Cullen does not have an empire of companies so apart from the teaser of a "six figure" package why else would people seriously apply?

5. Selling ice-cream is not going to tell you anything about someones commercial acumen, the fact that Bill's "advisors" perpetually commented on the days events like a couple of taxmen on an audit said it all. If they cant see the irony in all this they should watch repeats of last nights show till the penny drops.

6. ROFL at some of the job titles that the contestants had themselves advertised as.

The gimp that was fired was titled as a "retail business development executive" or some nonense, in other words a shelf stacker or merchandiser.

The inner city girl was down as a company owner, then eluded to working the stalls in town :rolleyes:

The Harvard graduate had the personality of a chalkboard and by the sounds of it hasnt actually even had a job FFS. What were the parents thinking when they named him :eek:

7. Cullen would argue about the colour of a fire engine just for the sake of argument, I was waiting for him to complain about the stock levels. Damned if you do, damned if you dont, just for the sake of spouting something. He wanted fire a guy last night because he wasnt smiling FFS. Fair play to the guy for putting it up to him but that pretty much sums it up, "sorry me aul flower, you didnt get the job cos ye werent smiling, Im looking for SMILERS".

I wasnt bothered watching the You're Fired show but sounds even worse based on what I have seen here today.

TV3 have learned nothing from last year and it deserves to fail, it probably wont though as its getting ratings for all the wrong reasons, i.e. cringe TV not because of its a brilliantly produced show or has someone worth listening to.

Spot on. The crowd of jokers we seen before us last night are weak in truth (ok, I'll admit I like the Steve guy, he seems to know what he's at and perhaps Ruth too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Lemlin wrote: »
    Pics aren't showing up here in work. Her eyes looked freaky to me tbh so can't see her being hot.

Here it is now. Must need an account to view it as it only showed when I logged in .
    IMG_0206_edited_bigger.jpg

Much better looking than on the show I think :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wonder how she fits it in with her estate agent career?
    She was never an estate agent.

TV3 should be made put up the contestants real job titles. Anyone can be a company director.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    She was never an estate agent.

TV3 should be made put up the contestants real job titles. Anyone can be a company director.

I stand corrected, she was an auctioneer :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1210/1228849743541.html

+1 on the second part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Cringer wrote: »
    lol her computer was on...

Yeah she must have got promoted.

"Now Aisling, de kom-pue-ter der now has some electrics in it if you wanna make some monies there luv"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

Yay, nice to see such a long discussion, just read through it all with a cuppa!

Some great comments so far.

First off, I thought the team name cucullan was unbelievably ****e, what were they thinking, though in fairness, it beats promethius.
    I was hopeful that Craig was setting out to be okay at first, when he put the stupid idea "we'll sell you ice-cream and give you advice on your suit" to bed. But it went so downhill from there. His motivational speech (shown on A-YF later) was godawful.

This was my favourite quote(s) of the week:
    Crazy music teacher: "I say wha', I say lets have fun , lets have fun getting to number one"
    PM: "Can I just re-iterate the main reason we are on that street is to sell"

Of the 3 in the boardroom at the end, i think the dullest guy got fired, but not the worst guy.

Also, I may give the you're fired show a miss next time. BOC was a total ignorant boor. The fact that he invites two women onto the panel and then asks the other male panel member if he thinks Aoiffe is a bit of allright. It was cringesome. I don't think it adds anything to the show the way the BBC version does and it overlaps with Pat Kenny's new show which seems to be great.

The after show is actually ok. Brendan O'Connor and the solicitor panelist obviously think the people on the show are a bunch of mongos, so it's not an arse licking sort of show...

• Advertisement

nevey wrote: »
    The fact that he invites two women onto the panel and then asks the other male panel member if he thinks Aoiffe is a bit of allright. It was cringesome.

In fairness I think that's on purpose. He wants the show to be sleazy and nasty.

I hope that was the plan anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Singing Sam was a cringing embarrassment..she could do with eating a few tons of ice cream actually.
    The English fella Steve seemed to have cop on, put his foot in it there with Bill mentioning the north and south thing. He had a point though in saying €3 was too dear for a Magnum-no way would I buy one for that:eek:.
    Mad eyes Aoife looks scary. You can see the whites of her eyes all the way around her irises. That's not natural unless you're really shocked or scared.
    The girl who said to to Geraldine that she 'delegated' to her (to ring around checking out prices).............was that Aoife or Jennifer? Was she right? I liked Geraldine, hope she wasn't taking the credit.
    Brefni probably should've gone but was more than likely kept in for entertainment as he's clearly such a ponce.
    Brendan O'C was a total d*ckhead to poor Craig. What is it with Craig anyway? Nobody listens to him at all. His wee voice hasn't broken yet either. Why did the camera zoom in on the big African woman in the audience when he mentioned his girlfriend? A strange coupling I must say:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

I think its freaky ....

Freaky.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Good grief, they really picked an even bigger shower of losers this year. I didn't think it was possible to top the goons from last year but somehow they managed it!
    I know one of the guys taking part in it. Nice guy but not the brightest sparkler in the packet it must be said.
    regarding the product placement, TV3 approached various companies earlier this year and asked them if they wanted to take part. My own employer was approached and the figures involved were horrendous. I must confirm how much the costs were but IIRC, it costs the companies a six figure sum to feature in one of the tasks and to be associated with the show.
    Our marketing guys turned it down because:
    1. TV3's viewership wasn't high enough to justify that type of spend, also our product wouldn't appeal to the demographic
    2. The marketing guys were horrified/terrified at the prospect of our company getting adverse publicity if the contestants made cock-ups. As one of the marketing guys said to me: "we already have our own guys making a mess of things on a day to day basis, we don't need any more to do it on national TV!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

anyone know if any bookies taking bets on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

i hate the red headed guy he's the biggest poser i have ever seen,did anyone see him throwing the rugby ball? if he was chocolate he'd eat himself.

MUPPET!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

mad m wrote: »
    Stuff like this has got boards in trouble in past, so without sounding like a brief, id nip it in the bud...And dont mention any names for jaysus sake!

On the Apprentice, where did they get this bunch from? The only two for me that stood out was the english fella and the womens project manager..

I promise I had absolutely NO intention of mentioning names. Honest. :)

Sorry. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have deleted all of the alleged goings on. Gotta be careful. Sorry.

I have deleted all of the alleged goings on. Gotta be careful. Sorry.

No probs...but don't expect me to share the money from my story I'm going to sell to The Sun! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

I just couldn't watch the "Your Fired" programme. I stuck about 5 mins of it before backing out and deleting it. It looks like it was recorded in pub.

It is! It's filmed in Wrights, in Swords I believe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

The whole thing is based out on Swords for some reason. The house and the "board room" are out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

TV3 and Today FM are run by the same company so I can see why there's a love-in there. Not sure if they also own Newstalk.

Lemlin wrote: »
    TV3 and Today FM are run by the same company so I can see why there's a love-in there. Not sure if they also own Newstalk.
    Today FM and Newstalk are owned by Denis O'Brien, nothing to do with TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

How much in advance are the shows filmed does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

08416_141450_bez.jpg
    Steve Rayner is Bez.

_setanta.jpg&bgc=707070Jack L.

Setanta Landers. Jack-L---High-Res-710039.JPG

1044_donal.jpg&bgc=707070John Terry

johnterry6.jpg Donal Proctor.

_jackie_lavin.jpg&bgc=707070The Joker.

rev_batman_joker_nicholson.jpg Jackie Lavin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

deadwood wrote: »
    Producer: "quick, get a shot of the token black woman to show how pluralist we are, going forward."

In fairness there were only 10 people in the audience.

Advertisement