Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice (IRL) - Season 2 Week 1 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Heroditas wrote: »
    sum to feature in one of the tasks and to be associated with the show.
    Our marketing guys turned it down because:
    1. TV3's viewership wasn't high enough to justify that type of spend, also our product wouldn't appeal to the demographic
    2. The marketing guys were horrified/terrified at the prospect of our company getting adverse publicity if the contestants made cock-ups. As one of the marketing guys said to me: "we already have our own guys making a mess of things on a day to day basis, we don't need any more to do it on national TV!" :D

In defense of TV3

1. The Apprentice gets about 300,000 viewers for its first showing and it has numerous repeats on both TV3 and 3e, plus the tasks would be featured on Ireland AM. And you get to be on You're Fired panel.
    2. I want to know what your product is so I can avoid it if so many of the staff are cocking things up for you.

I am thinking the audience figures could be down this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Elmo wrote: »
    2. I want to know what your product is so I can avoid it if so many of the staff are cocking things up for you.

You can't avoid it. If you're reading this, you're using it. It can therefore be only one of a few possible products. ;)

Regarding why everything seems to be based out in Swords, isn't that where the office building is? The Europa training centre.
    Makes sense to have everything in the one area I suppose. It cuts down on travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

You can't avoid it. If you're reading this, you're using it. It can therefore be only one of a few possible products. ;)

You made my eyes? Crikey you're good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

When is this repeated?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The whole thing is based out on Swords for some reason. The house and the "board room" are out there too.

The house is in Skerries this year , Last year it was in Roganstown/Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

iguy wrote: »
    OMG i love the new series much better than last year and i was a big huge follower of last years series...pity Tv3 dont repeat it twice like(also it clashes with how long will you live on rte1,which was also repeated last year and it does seem to be repeated this year) they did last year...because i missed a bit of it because i was making supper along with my o.h...em i like the fact it is a longer episode this year...also the aftershow is excellent,who knew Brendan O Connor was funny i actually think he is a bit two nice,a millico times nicer than he was on your a star...this year both shows are A1...also there is more than seven people in the you're fired studio,where is the your fired studio by the way?and is Irelands version of your fired any different than the BBC's.....also it might be my imagination but before Tv3 got the apprentice Brendan O Connor would.nt do a job for Tv3 or even step into Tv3's studio's...the apprentice among other programmes has made Tv3 way more popular than it was three or four years ago yano...also Tv3 gets better viewership figures for certain programmes such as for the xtra factor Tv3 gets more viewers than itv would in England,it goes by population and Tv3 is strong in the that aspect...Tv3 are proving to be a better station.....i'm actually going to be a stand-by in Tv3 studios in 2 months time...it's for a media studies course...i cant wait to do it.....:)
    Ah, well that explains a lot.

Don't see this series having the same entertainment value as the English version to be honest, most of them seem to be fairly dull, not to mention Jackie and Brian aren't fit to lick Nick and Margaret's boots. The fella's eye twitch was the most amusing part of the show. The guy that was fired just seemed thick, did he actually say anything that wasn't a cliche?
    Didn't even bother watching You're Fired and judging by the comments here I was right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Namlub wrote: »
    The guy that was fired just seemed thick, did he actually say anything that wasn't a cliche?
    At the end of the day, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

The Europa Academy is based in Swords. It's also the spot where the Fingal County Enterprise Board do most of their training and events (there is one there tomorrow night). The registered trade address for "Golden Apples" is there as well - "The Lifetime Success Institute".

Thanks to the poster who said the house was in Skerries I thought it looked familiar.

IIRC Mr Cullen's Business HQ is based in Airside in Swords so he wouldn't have far to travel to do the filming. It's basically next door to The Wright Venue where the "You're Fired" filming takes place.

If it was boards then I seemed to have been able to avoid for a few hours today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

When is this repeated anyone know? cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

When is this repeated anyone know? cheers.
    Just for you:
    GAME SHOW: The Apprentice
    On: TV3 (103)
    Date: Sunday 27th September 2009 (starting in 3 days)
    Time: 17:00 to 18:15 (1 hour and 15 minutes long)

Dublin plays host to Ireland's most exclusive and intensive job interview, when 14 of the business world's most promising candidates battle it out to become Bill Cullen's Apprentice. The self-made, rags to riches millionaire, Bill Cullen will challenge the aspiring tycoons as they compete in the toughest challenge of their lives.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=242710

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
    GAME SHOW: The Apprentice: You're Fired!
    On: TV3 (103)
    Date: Sunday 27th September 2009 (starting in 3 days)
    Time: 18:15 to 18:45 (30 minutes long)

Following each episode of The Apprentice, host Brendan O'Connor faces the freshly-fired candidate as they attempt to explain where it all went wrong. Each week Brendan is joined in front of a studio audience by his guests, bringing together popular figures from the world of entertainment, captains of industry, journalists and broadcasters. All of them are passionate fans of The Apprentice and they don't hold back when it comes to tackling the candidates' behaviour or challenging Bill Cullen's decisions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=242710

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I know we're only one episode in but

"14 of the business world's most promising candidates"

A teacher, a guy who's claim to fame is he went to Harvard, a breakfast cereal sales monkey, some weirdo who puts dummies in windows for Clearys. I'm sure Denis O'Brien is cacking himself

"aspiring tycoons as they compete in the toughest challenge of their lives"

Hardly, selling icecream on a hot day. What is it next week? Water to the arabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Sizzler wrote: »
    Today FM and Newstalk are owned by Denis O'Brien, nothing to do with TV3.

Are you sure about that? They regularly speak on The Last Word about how the bosses at TV3 and Today FM are the same. A number of presenters also move between the two - Matt Cooper for example who presents the sport on TV3 and The Last Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Lemlin wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? They regularly speak on The Last Word about how the bosses at TV3 and Today FM are the same. A number of presenters also move between the two - Matt Cooper for example who presents the sport on TV3 and The Last Word.
    100% owned by VC firm Doughty Hanson.

http://www.vc-jobs.com/newsDetail.faces?newsArticleId=124&newTitle=Doughty+Hanson+acquires+TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Darragh wrote: »
    I'm pimping a bit folks but I was at the launch of this show yesterday in Dublin and got to interview Brian Purcell, Nicky O'Callaghan and Conor Carmody from Meteor and to watch the show over lunchtime.

Interview is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuJI-2zfTnw

:)

1:49 Lol! Looking forward to seeing it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Sizzler wrote: »

I stand corrected. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 newbies12345

Hi there, tiny spoiler alert!!

Mod edit spoiler removed. We don't allow spoilers of any kind here tagged or not. Banned for the duration of the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

But if we did, they'd probably be the best spoilers in the world......

Lemlin wrote: »

Today FM is owned by Communicorp. TV3 is owned by a British investment company called Doherty Hanson. Matt Cooper works for both TV3 and TodayFM in the same way as Eamon Dunphy worked for RTE Sport and TodayFM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

what a shower of morons on this years show
    that english guy and the girl that was the PM are the only ones that seem qualified.
    i haven't got a clue what the teacher is doing on it though, what transferable skills would a music teacher have to business?
    "come to the stand where magic happens, where the ladies will do anything you want" or something along those lines had me pmsl or when bill said "jackie has been my right hand man for over 30 years" :cool:

• Advertisement

pfk-0p wrote: »
    i haven't got a clue what the teacher is doing on it though, what transferable skills would a music teacher have to business?

Did you see the Chemistry Teacher in the BBC series last year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The only thing you need to appear on the apprentice is a bit of cop on.

The only thing you need to appear on the apprentice is a bit of cop on.

No, all you need to do, is say completely the wrong thing in the board room especially when either Bill or Alan starts to defend you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Just watched the "You're fired" thing there.
    Didn't see the main show but that Craig guy seemed like one of the most disarming, likeable and genuine guys you could meet.
    Maybe he's not a natural leader but he's got a lot of other good qualities.

BO'C's odious shtick got fairly tiring after a while.
    He was racking his brains coming up with ways to degrade the guy.
    I guess his role is to put the guy under scrutiny and i know it's in jest but it just got really grating.

Edit: Didn't realise it was a repeat.
    Bit late, sorry :)

tech77 wrote: »
    Just watched the "You're fired" thing there.
    Didn't see the main show but that Craig guy seemed like one of the most disarming, likeable and genuine guys you could meet.
    Maybe he's not a natural leader but he's got a lot of other good qualities.

BO'C's odious shtick got fairly tiring after a while.
    He was racking his brains coming up with ways to degrade the guy.
    I guess his role is to put the guy under scrutiny and i know it's in jest but it just got really grating.

Anyone would come across as disarming, likable and genuine when sat beside BO'C :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

fricatus wrote: »
    If I was Craig, I would stand up for myself and deck that gimp O'Connor. Now that would be entertainment! I've had to turn off because I couldn't stand to see that fool feeding his ego with what's left of Craig's pride.

Really, whoever in TV3 thought it would be a good idea to have that monkey presenting anything, they should honestly be shot! :mad:

OK i know it's a week ago now but the ironic thing about it is that i wasn't embarrassed for that Craig guy. I was just embarrassed for O' Connor.

tech77 wrote: »
    OK i know it's a week ago now but the ironic thing about it is that i wasn't embarrassed for that Craig guy. I was just embarrassed for O' Connor.

Here be embarrassed for him some more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Brendan should be fired.

Being a rude, ignorant, fool is more than enough of a reason but giving that girl stick about being cross-eyed and asking the panel is she 'hot or not'... wtf?? what an arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭unichick

That Stephen is definitely a ginger Brian O'Driscoll. I can't believe he's from Galway.

English guy and inner city Dublin girl are my hot favourites so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Emmmooo

A better lookalike for Jackie

BillCullenJackieLavin001.jpg
    Zelda from Terrahawks

puppets-terrahawks-290x400.jpg

Jackie Lavin

Come on anyone else see the similarity????????????

Advertisement