Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[BPB] Submissions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I’m definitely submitting an image – just try and stop me :D

Regarding selection I agree that think that it should be as a far as practical be a free for all, but maybe it should be a condition that before you can submit an image you must first pay a deposit via paypal or similar?

This would help weed out the people would just stumble across the book idea in the days leading up to the closing submission date? Or maybe this might just complicate things?

Last year from what I understand if you were submitting an image you were buying a book no ifs or buts about it. If this is just a way to weed out the maybe people it'll work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

trishw78 wrote: »
    Last year from what I understand if you were submitting an image you were buying a book no ifs or buts about it. If this is just a way to weed out the maybe people it'll work.

Im getting two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Paulw wrote: »

Dakar - People can't say it won't be the same without X, Y, Z, etc because, while I certainly don't disagree that they are great photographers, there are also many many other great photographs worthy of being included.

Fair enough, I broke the 'Don't text drunk and don't post angry' rule :)

I don't think people should be excluded purely because they were in last year (I am in principle opposed to a selection process, but if it needs to be done, then fair enough too)

Let everyone who wants to be in the book submit by a given date (in the not too distant future) and cap the number for the book at 120.

If there are less than 120 images, no problem, everyones's in. More than 120 and either the original list or a selection process kicks in.

There's no point in getting wound up and at each other's throats if there are less submissions than there is space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

how about firstly going back to all the people who said yes im deffo submitting an image, and asking a straight question are you deffo submitting or are you backing out.
    their yes at that point will guarantee them a spot.
    then the spaces available can be moved on to the maybe's and ask them a yes or no.
    then once that is sorted, all who said yes a second time will have to pay a deposit.
    no pay no display.
    then any spaces left can be brought to individuals who have posted photos within the forum before but have not posted an interest, maybe due to shyness or being unsure.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

We had 98 participants last year, and sold over 200 copies.

Just on the timeline, don't forget to work in an extra week or two if you are going to order a proofing copy first. Delivery wasn't exceptionally fast last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

also, as in only having it open to regulars.
    what defines a regular.
    myself and my wife who uses my tag, under my interpretation would not really be regulars, but we are showing a greater interest as time goes by.
    does that exclude us?
    we have a selection of photos that we havnt posted up but we believe would be good enough for the book.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

TelePaul wrote: »
    So just to be clear, the thread with the poll has been ignored in favour of the 'regulars', who constitute the initial list?

Heya Mele, could ya answer this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

i think it's best if we decide who will be allowed submit early in the process, i for one don't want to spend the next 5 weeks working on an entry to be told i'm not in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

cant believe this is at page 4, such a hassel. I'm gonna bow out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

How will the deposit work, we pay €20 and then have this deducted from the cost of the book??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Placebo wrote: »

Dont do that man! Anything that's worthwhile is bound to throw up a few issues along the way. From a project management perspective, you need milestones: what needs to be achieved, by when, what is it contingent on, who is responsible, what's the contingency plan if things go wrong.

The biggest problem now is concensus on the submission process. I think in this case, it's probably easiest to defer to the forum mods on the big issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

How will the deposit work, we pay €20 and then have this deducted from the cost of the book??
    That's how I read it too and it sounds like a really good idea imo.

It's not cool that there's so much displeasure though. I think it will work out fine in the end but everyone should probably just calm down. You owe OscarBravo an apology also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Placebo wrote: »

Placebo - Ah don't - It's getting to a point where Meleocracy is soon to be dished out :pac:

(with all such projects a little benevolent dictatorship is required to give it direction). Nothing to get stressed over.

To restate what I earlier posted guys and girls -

I believe that we won't have a problem with numbers and selection - in fact we may be struggling to get it beyond 100 submissions (going on last year and the fact that recession is biting at many people).

When Mele gets back on line and a submission date is set and a mechanism for submission of your image is set, we should be fine - with the proviso that if more are submitted than the 120 that a selection method can kick in at that stage.

Until then I suggest no body getting themselves worked into a kafuffle.

Good Karma people - positive thinking, etc...

feic - did someone mention something about 3 pay days?????? Bad Karma, negative thinking, etc..., etc.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

TelePaul wrote: »
    Dont do that man! Anything that's worthwhile is bound to throw up a few issues along the way. From a project management perspective, you need milestones: what needs to be achieved, by when, what is it contingent on, who is responsible, what's the contingency plan if things go wrong.

The biggest problem now is concensus on the submission process. I think in this case, it's probably easiest to defer to the forum mods on the big issues.

Yup, teething problems, it was the same last year. It'll blow over and we'll end up with a great end result.

Rb wrote: »
    That's how I read it too and it sounds like a really good idea imo.

It's not cool that there's so much displeasure though. I think it will work out fine in the end but everyone should probably just calm down. You owe OscarBravo an apology also.

How in gods name do I owe OscarBravo an apology?

• Advertisement

The thing about the deposit idea (great idea btw) is that it's not how the blurb stuff works naturally.

I don't think the deposit is a maker or breaker for the book - 100 submissions last year with 200 approx copies sold. Mission was accomplished, and not one deposit taken. I suggest not to complicate things.

Blurb handles all the money stuff - assuming blurb is for us. Granted if its shakespeare then there mightn't be the same assumption.

So - my suggestion is not to get hung up on the deposit. It complicates and you then have multiple payment methods etc... and a refund of deposit or additional complication in terms of how you buy the final book (total cost + shipping - deposit :: how does deposit get to blurb people on an individual basis, etc..., etc...) A deposit is really not a differentiator and only a distraction at this point. We'll ultimately know how many have been bought.

How in gods name do I owe OscarBravo an apology?

This:
    the designer of the project is not even a regular on this forum ffs.

It's aggressive and insulting towards someone who's volunteered to give up their spare time to design this (for a good cause too) on a relatively short deadline, when I'm sure he has better things to be doing with himself. There wasn't any need for it and I guess, if you've such a massive issue with it, you could take over and design the book yourself?

People should be grateful that Oscar is taking the time to do it, not throwing the fact that he doesn't have as many posts as others in his face. There's no need for it, basically.

Ok, please keep this on topic. Any further 'off topicness' will incur infractions. Serious ignoring of this moderation note and people will incur a forum ban for a time as yet to be determined.

We've serious work to be done here and anything off topic is a distraction. Any grievances can be handled through report a post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

I dont think there will be consensus, its just better to pick a plan and run with it. If some parties are unhappy they are well within their right to begin their own project :)

deegs wrote: »
    I dont think there will be consensus, its just better to pick a plan and run with it. If some parties are unhappy they are well within their right to begin their own project :)

With so many people involved there will never be a concensus, the opening of three threads on different aspects of this project is imo not helping, strong leadership is needed and as I have said before it worked well last year so why not go with the same plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I agree with dodgy that there will never be consensus, not with so many people, there are always going to be some that would prefer it a different way but this has to be done on the majprity vote.

As said before I reckon if it is to be 120 pages or images fair enough, if there are more then deal with that situation. I would like to put a picture in but I would say that if there are too many pictures I would gladly let someone have my place who wasnt in it last year, just deal with that when or if the time comes and accept the submissions as soon as we can.

As said time is short and the ball needs to get rolling on at this stage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

right... time to sort this.

Telepaul I'm not gonna give preference to regulars, and stuff the original list, I'm making a decision.

the original list stands. I'm gonna send a mass pm to all who put name down, with possibly a link to this thread... no doubt there will be large amount of back outs... there is alot looking to go on list, theres a good chance you'll squeeze in.

@Placebo - you frequent this forum alot... you know the deal with us lot, its really been too long since a good over the top fight :p. Itd be shame to opt out over this.

Anyone have an issue with this can pm me. I will share all pms related to this to mods and oscarbravo... they wont be ignored. It has been agreed that we had this sorted... and now it has, it should never have been brought up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

So how exactly can we get involved if our name is not on the original list?
    I am very interested.

deegs wrote: »
    So how exactly can we get involved if our name is not on the original list?
    I am very interested.

A PM to melekalikimaka and you'll be put you on the 'to be squeezed in if at all possible' list. I really suspect that we should be grand at the end of the day.

Good work Mele, any rough submission details? When/where?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

How would people feel about Sunday 11th October for submissions?

1Star, alb, AnCatDubh, artyeva, astimpson, Ballyman, bernard0368, Brndn, Buzz Lightyear, Cabaal, CabanSail, cambo_gueno, car, challengemaster, cooligPhoto, Cosmo K, Covey, Crispin, cute_cow, dakar, DarrenG, dar_d, daycent, dazftw, democrates, dermotcw, DeVore, Dink, domcq, DotOrg, Edser, Eirebear, encyclopedia, ericl, faceman, Fionn, floydmoon1, fluffyVW, gandalf, Hearvee, homerun_homer, homer_simpson, humberklog, Ideo, ike, irlirishkev, joolsveer, kateos2, kensutz, kjt, landyman, liamtinney, Longshanks100, mart_max, mehfesto2, melekalikimaka, mloc, Morrisseeee, mrboswell, mrmac, m_s_nixon, Nanoc, nilhg, NORTH1, oscarBravo, Panhour, Paulw, Peace, pete4130, Pivot_Al, Ponster, PopeBuckfastXVI, positivenote, Quackles, rahtkennades, rameire, Rb, RoryW, Ruu, sineadw, stabo, stephendm, sunny2004, superflyninja, swingking, t00116131, Thoie, ThOnda, trishw78, Trizo, trooney, Trotter, Valentia, whyulittle, Woddle, xia.

i'm am gonna pm all these lot, your gonna be ticked off as i get reply.

gonna cap it at TUESDAY 29th SEPTEMBER to reply

a quick one over on the list shows most regulars in there

How would people feel about Sunday 11th October for submissions?

don't even ask how people feel about it, just pick whatever date you want them in by and be done with it :pac:

if it saves you any time you don't need to pm me, I'm definitely in :)

if you want i can pm some people on the list for you, i've never done a mass pm so i dunno how time consuming it is

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    don't even ask how people feel about it, just pick whatever date you want them in by and be done with it :pac:

if it saves you any time you don't need to pm me, I'm definitely in :)

if you want i can pm some people on the list for you, i've never done a mass pm so i dunno how time consuming it is

hehe it was really debatable tbh.

cheers for the offer, pms sent, had to be in btaches of 10, wasnt too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭astimpson

Hey peoples sorry for not been on this in a while work got me bogged down . . . to be clear and not sound completely stupid :(

how much is it costing again . . ?

how many photos can we add ? etc etc . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

haven't been around for a while, but if possible I'd like to be added to the 'may possibly be squeezed in list' (phew a mouth full) Finally have something that I think's worthy of inclusion :)

Besides, the randomness of who is included is part of the appeal of the book :-)

astimpson wrote: »
    Hey peoples sorry for not been on this in a while work got me bogged down . . . to be clear and not sound completely stupid :(

how much is it costing again . . ?

how many photos can we add ? etc etc . . .

The cost is being discussed over here.

Last years prices were;

€29,95 - Softcover
    €40,95 - Hardcover, Dust Jacket
    €42,95 - Hardcover, ImageWrap

Above plus p&p

A single photograph is the expected submission from an individual.

1Star, alb, AnCatDubh, artyeva, astimpson, Ballyman, bernard0368, Brndn, Buzz Lightyear, Cabaal, CabanSail, cambo_gueno, car, challengemaster, cooligPhoto, Cosmo K, Covey, Crispin, cute_cow, dakar, DarrenG, dar_d, daycent, dazftw, democrates, dermotcw, DeVore, Dink, domcq, DotOrg, Edser, Eirebear, encyclopedia, ericl, faceman, Fionn, floydmoon1, fluffyVW, gandalf, Hearvee, homerun_homer, homer_simpson, humberklog, Ideo, ike, irlirishkev, joolsveer, kateos2, kensutz, kjt, landyman, liamtinney, Longshanks100, mart_max, mehfesto2, melekalikimaka, mloc, Morrisseeee, mrboswell, mrmac, m_s_nixon, Nanoc, nilhg, NORTH1, oscarBravo, Panhour, Paulw, Peace, pete4130, Pivot_Al, Ponster, PopeBuckfastXVI, positivenote, Quackles, rahtkennades, rameire, Rb, RoryW, Ruu, sineadw, stabo, stephendm, sunny2004, superflyninja, swingking, t00116131, Thoie, ThOnda, trishw78, Trizo, trooney, Trotter, Valentia, whyulittle, Woddle, xia.

i'm am gonna pm all these lot, your gonna be ticked off as i get reply.

gonna cap it at TUESDAY 29th SEPTEMBER to reply

a quick one over on the list shows most regulars in there

Bit of a change of heart Mele, you said earlier in the thread that you were not going to use that thread, I have a question re the reserve list how will you decide who gets the places as the list is alphabetical!

Bit of a change of heart Mele, you said earlier in the thread that you were not going to use that thread, I have a question re the reserve list how will you decide who gets the places as the list is alphabetical!

indeed a change of heart, was the best way to do it to prevent elitism or favouritism creeping in. thats a good doing dodgykeeper, random selection...i guess

indeed a change of heart, was the best way to do it to prevent elitism or favouritism creeping in. thats a good doing dodgykeeper, random selection...i guess

Changes of heart are good Mele,

Thats a good doing?

Changes of heart are good Mele,

Thats a good doing?

oops i meant point

got bout 50 or so replies, few rejections too. so once i trawl the pms and get a list we be away.

a few issues.

i is gone this weekend for rugby and gone for a weeks break from the 4th... i will try keep on top but ya know how it is with internet cafes.

also...anyone like to take on some marketing for the book?

got bout 50 or so replies, few rejections too.

So you're the reason boards went black today? :p

also...anyone like to take on some marketing for the book?

any idea what's involved? I'd like to help out :)

• Advertisement

any idea what's involved? I'd like to help out :)

Well if you have some time that you are willing to put into it, the project would benefit from a marketing manager (fancy title - no salary :)) - someone to organise how the book will be formally marketed - across boards, viral techniques (twitters, email footers, boards sigs, etc..), blogs, media, whatever else can be thought of.

While you can do some of this yourself, you are likely to be putting a call out to the forum for assistance. What is really needed is someone to make sure these things are happening while mele and oscar are organising the actual book and to be a conduit for new ideas that could assist.

It happened last year by default (and the kind efforts of a number of people) and i'm sure it would again, but if it is a bit more structured and with an early approach then i'm sure it would contribute to overall book sales.

This work should begin very soon - long before the book is ready. The idea would be to create a buzz, an expectation among the online world and maybe the media.

So, are you up for it or have I frightened you?

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    So, are you up for it or have I frightened you?

if anything you just made more up for it :D
    I'd love to take on the challenge if there are no objections :o

Allrighty, PM sent.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the forum, our additional overlord for the project has been appointed. I give you m_s_nixon our Marketing Manager for the Boards Photography Forum Year Book project.

Oohhhh, we getting very fancy now eh? :D

I expect m_s_nixon to hit the ground running here and expect that you all will row in and give full support to the advance marketing suggestions and activities that will be needed.

No pressure on people but if this works out right then all of this bodes well for additional book sales. Additional book sales = more charitable donation = more good being done through the forum. Also = more exposure for the forum and indeed for the boards site.

May I add, this forum's user base rocks. Simple as that.

So, off with ya m_s_nixon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

D'other half is a web2.0 consultant. Gis a shout when you get going and I'll threaten cajole him into helping if he has any spare time..

Ah it's so easy to offer the services of another! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am glad to see it going. I am really sorry, but I am in new job and spending about 60 hours per week at work and also need to study a lot.

And I am even more glad to see that "regular on this forum" madness is gone. Last year, the book was purely voluntarily and we kept the limited amount of submissions only not to cross to higher price level regarding the page count. And it worked.

It is nice to see that even in such harsh times, there are still people willing to do something for free, spend their own money and time while doing it and still provide help to people in need.

I'll try at least to read all the threads. Good luck and keep the good working pace!

Thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im a regular lurker to the forum but rarely post. I was raging I didnt submit a photo last year (I still have the Blurb link at the top of my blog!:)) and am eager to submit this year, even if its not selected!

With regard to the selection process, if you do choose to quality control the submissions if I could be so bold as to make a suggestion? (Its something we put in place for Boards Drama group for a recent script submission project.) Why not make the selection process anonymous? Appoint someone on the project to set up an email address to accept photos and that person compiles the photos and presents them to whatever panel you decide to pick the photos? Just a suggestion. :)

I dont think its unreasonable to ask those submitting photos to purchase the book in advance of it going on sale.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Im a regular lurker to the forum but rarely post. I was raging I didnt submit a photo last year (I still have the Blurb link at the top of my blog!:)) and am eager to submit this year, even if its not selected!

The process is continuing with the 'defo' list currently being contacted to reaffirm their commitment to the project.

Then the reserve list is brought into play depending on numbers.

These two lists compiled from the previous thread / poll on taking part (now closed).

But we have created a magic third list the - I forgot to vote, can I please list "we'll try our best to squeeze you in list"

Drop mele<very long user handle> a pm indicating your interest and you'll be placed on that list.

We are hoping that everyone who wants to submit a photograph will be ok to be included in the project but are proceeding as outlined above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

AnCatDubh wrote: »

Drop mele<very long user handle> a pm indicating your interest and you'll be placed on that list.

Its cool, I had already put my name down in the poll. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just expressing my interest folks, I'm on the reserve list but would definetly love to submit a photo for the book should the opportunity arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

id defo love to contribute this year, and anything else i can do to help . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

faceman wrote: »
    With regard to the selection process, if you do choose to quality control the submissions if I could be so bold as to make a suggestion? (Its something we put in place for Boards Drama group for a recent script submission project.) Why not make the selection process anonymous? Appoint someone on the project to set up an email address to accept photos and that person compiles the photos and presents them to whatever panel you decide to pick the photos? Just a suggestion. :)

Won't a lot of people have already posted their image for the book on the photo forum already? and if not it'll be on their pix.ie or flickr. I think there would be a high chance of any photography forum person on a panel being already familiar with who took a lot of the pics anyway.
    I dont think its unreasonable to ask those submitting photos to purchase the book in advance of it going on sale.

I agree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement