Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[BPB] Submissions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Submissions close tonight, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Rb wrote: »
    Submissions close tonight, right?
    ^ see here...
    How would people feel about Sunday 11th October for submissions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK maybe I have missed the post but where are the submissions being collated? Or is that to be finalised.

I also remember reading that you might have someone proof the piccies. I would love this option as my laptop is definitely not calibrated and from my submission last year (which was alot darker than it appeared on my system) I learnt that you need to proof the submission first. I will be testing printed versions of my submission anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

gonna make an email account, gmail. and get folk to email it. just need to finalise list first

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

When submitting, it would be great if people could include:
    • their full name
    • (optionally) their boards.ie username
    • a name for the photo (the caption)
    • a brief explanatory note or narrative about the photo
    • (IMPORTANT!) the intended orientation of the photo - I can't rely on either exif data or my own judgement for this

gonna make an email account, gmail. and get folk to email it. just need to finalise list first

Do you know yet what format you want to receive it yet? JPEG etc?
    The reason i ask is that i got a (big) print done by stcstc and i uploaded the full size photoshop file at 360 dpi to his server. The file itself was around 50-60MB. If you are going down this route your new gmail account will be maxed out very quickly

High-quality JPEG should be fine. The print resolution is 300dpi, and the current layout I'm working on expects (landscape) pictures to be 2521x1680 pixels - 8.4x5.6".

That's just to give people an idea - the layout isn't finalised, but it will be in that ballpark.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    High-quality JPEG should be fine. The print resolution is 300dpi, and the current layout I'm working on expects (landscape) pictures to be 2521x1680 pixels - 8.4x5.6".

That's just to give people an idea - the layout isn't finalised, but it will be in that ballpark.

Thanks for that. Is the 8.4x5.6" strict? I mean if you wanted to could you opt for a shot to be printed at say....8.4 x 4.6"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Does the photo submission have to be in tonight or October? Im a bit confused! :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

faceman wrote: »
    Does the photo submission have to be in tonight or October? Im a bit confused! :o

october

• Advertisement

It has to be in for October the 11th I believe. I just don't want to leave things till the last minute as I am up to my tits at the beginning of Oct so I want to run a few test versions of the picture I am submitting before I finalise on it. Mainly to ensure its not too dark like the shot I used last year turned out to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

gandalf wrote: »
    It has to be in for October the 11th I believe. I just don't want to leave things till the last minute as I am up to my tits at the beginning of Oct so I want to run a few test versions of the picture I am submitting before I finalise on it. Mainly to ensure its not too dark like the shot I used last year turned out to be.

Phew! For a moment I was in a panic thinking I had to get it in tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Just realised. Do I have to pull out because I have only a compact camera?!? Just checked the pic I have in mind in Irfanview. It has 2288x1712 pixels and just 72 dpi...Maybe the quality is not good enough?? Didn't think that might be a problem, as prints in A4 looked good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

xia wrote: »
    Just realised. Do I have to pull out because I have only a compact camera?!? Just checked the pic I have in mind in Irfanview. It has 2288x1712 pixels and just 72 dpi...Maybe the quality is not good enough?? Didn't think that might be a problem, as prints in A4 looked good to me.

No, you'll be fine, I'm pretty sure Sinead originally uploaded a pretty low res version(much smaller than your one) of her shot to help with the process of picking a layout etc. and then forgot to upload a higher res version so the original got printed and it came out perfectly well!:)

EDIT just to add the 72dpi bit is a technicality really, its the no of pixels that matters, if you actually printed that image at 72dpi, you'd have a 30x20' image give or take. The blurb software will take care of the sizing, suffice it to say you have plenty of pixels!

Puhhh. Thanks. Now the capture itself just has to be good enough for the standard of the book:);)

Thanks for that. Is the 8.4x5.6" strict? I mean if you wanted to could you opt for a shot to be printed at say....8.4 x 4.6"
    The plan is to have an 8.4x5.6" area available on the page for a photo. If a photograph has a "squarer" aspect ratio, it will be padded on the sides to fit. If it has a "wider" aspect ratio, it will be padded top and bottom.

So, yes: you can choose your own aspect ratio. I'll aim to have all photos fit as well as possible into the design, but obviously a photo with the design aspect ratio will fit best.
    xia wrote: »
    No, that won't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Is there any theme, or can photos of anything be submitted?

Just curious. I've one or two landscapes I'd love printed (plan to get them printed large soon) but I also have one or two others than I'd love to submit for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

To the best of my knowledge I think it is a single image and there is no theme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge I think it is a single image and there is no theme.

Oh I'm aware it's on a single image submission, and the decision of which image I submit is my own challenge.

No theme, as such, makes my decision a bit harder. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I submitted my pic yesterday, took me ages to decide on one, went for a b/w landscape shot in the end. Really looking forward to see the book, its gonna be my "standard" xmas present for friends and family this year;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Where did you submit it to? I'm hugely confused here, Ted! The initial private message was sent to those who wanted to definitely take part, I replied immediately. Unless I am missing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Cosmo K wrote: »
    I submitted my pic yesterday, took me ages to decide on one, went for a b/w landscape shot in the end. Really looking forward to see the book, its gonna be my "standard" xmas present for friends and family this year;)

Good question Ruu. Where did you submit to, the email address hasn't been set up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

trishw78 wrote: »
    Good question Ruu. Where did you submit to, the email address hasn't been set up yet?

I send a pm to Mele, and included a downloadlink for the pic to my flickr. Hope that works!!

Did you include the information I'm looking for?

Ruu wrote: »
    Where did you submit it to? I'm hugely confused here, Ted! The initial private message was sent to those who wanted to definitely take part, I replied immediately. Unless I am missing something.

As I understand it, the pm from mele and reply from yourself is 'offer and acceptance' of being involved - re-affirmation of your previous stated intention (on the defo list of the old thread).

The email address for the actual submissions is being set up by mele but I know he has intermittent access to the web for a little while so details will ensue.

However once you have replied to mele, your place for inclusion in the project is reserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

How are the numbers looking, how many if any of the reserve list are gonna get in, did you work out a procedure for picking the ppl from the reserve list?

Its gonna be random, tho loos like the guts of the original list will get on i thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

I've pm Mele twice now with no answer, I am not on the origional list but I did reply to an earlier thread. How do I know what list I am on now or wether I am likely to be included or not?

There should be one sticky that is locked and only the organiser's can post up info for people to see.

My 2 e-cents worth :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Its gonna be random, tho loos like the guts of the original list will get on i thinks

When you say the original list do you mean the original poll list of "definites" or everyone on both original poll lists - the defos and the maybes?

Or are the maybes now going to be pot luck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Ruu wrote: »

Don't think you are. Now we wait. That's all. I think...........:)

• Advertisement

sorry for lack of individual replies, i'm getting pms out my ass at the mo.

the list of yes, will all get on the book.

the maybe list is the list from that thread. gonna need to sort all this out asap, and an email account will be posted for sending the images very soon, please bear with me, wrap up time is soon for confirms and from there the maybes will have a few days to throw names in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Jaysus, don't be going sending individual replies, anyone expecting that needs a slap! I certainly don't expect it. You have enough to do! :) Point people towards the thread.

Yep I don't expect an individual reply. Slap a list up here of the confirmed and then do the lottery for the remaining places. It might be worth while to look into a way to accomodate people who still want to be part of the project.

After the 1 page per person for the people who confirmed they wanted to be part of the book maybe an option to have 2 individuals picture per page for the more tardy members of the community who are on the standy list :D (its just a suggestion so don't jump down my throat!). Now that will have design implications so it may not be a runner. I am sure the designers (aka OB) will let us know but at least it would give the opportunity to have as many people involved as have shown interest?

After the 1 page per person for the people who confirmed they wanted to be part of the book maybe an option to have 2 individuals picture per page for the more tardy members of the community who are on the standy list :D (its just a suggestion so don't jump down my throat!). Now that will have design implications so it may not be a runner. I am sure the designers (aka OB) will let us know but at least it would give the opportunity to have as many people involved as have shown interest?
    I won't rule it out, but I'm not that enamoured of the idea. Two pictures on a page will make them necessarily quite a lot smaller than one would be.

I think there were two examples in last year's book where a single photographer submitted two photos which worked together - "Split" is the one that springs to mind. (Actually, I just checked - that's the only one.) I don't mind designing for that, if anyone wants to do it, but only if the two photos are thematically and visually linked as those were.

Well the other option is to look at all the photos and as an editor/designer decide which ones warrant a full page and those that only warrant a half page matching those together by theme or by look.

The main drawback would be bruising of peoples egos if they didn't get a full page and then having to deal with the reactions of a few.

Well the other option is to look at all the photos and as an editor/designer decide which ones warrant a full page and those that only warrant a half page matching those together by theme or by look.

The main drawback would be bruising of peoples egos if they didn't get a full page and then having to deal with the reactions of a few.

Does that not the away from the randomness of the whole thing. I wasn't around these parts for the last book, but from what i hear - thats one of things that made it so good

It does but I would like to have the position that everyone who wants to submit a shot gets an opportunity to do so. I am just throwing a few thoughts down in writing to see if we can tease out a solution that accomodates as many as possible.

Again, I'm not going to rule this out, but as the designer there's no way in hell I'm making that sort of judgement call.

Again, I'm not going to rule this out, but as the designer there's no way in hell I'm making that sort of judgement call.

But I know you love confrontation ;)

Only when I know I'm right. :D

• Advertisement

DEADLINE PASSED

I shall now go through the list. see space left and tell folk on reserve list.

Trizo
    PopeBuckfastXVI
    kateos2
    mart_max
    Pivot_Al
    daycent
    stephendm
    stabo
    irlirishkev
    Hearvee
    Covey
    Quackles
    dar_d
    superflyninja
    faceman
    Crispin
    ThOnda
    bernard0368
    Edser
    trooney
    Morrisseeee
    challengemaster
    alb
    floydmoon1
    cute_cow
    whyulittle
    sineadw
    artyeva
    humberklog
    mehfesto2
    homerun_homer
    trishw78
    positivenote
    democrates
    Buzz Lightyear
    Fionn
    xia
    t00116131
    ericl
    Trotter
    Valentia
    Ruu
    swingking
    Dink
    pete4130
    mloc
    RoryW
    Longshanks100
    NORTH1
    Eirebear
    Paulw
    gandalf
    kensutz
    nilhg
    Brndn
    Ideo
    rameire
    dakar
    Ponster
    car
    m_s_nixon
    cooligPhoto
    DotOrg
    Rb
    AnCatDubh
    ike
    kjt
    cambo_gueno
    Cosmo K
    melekalikimaka

according to word count

theres 72 names here.

there are 42 on reserve list.

dillema.

on another note. im on holidays from tomorrow.

will not be able to deal with this too much.

If you are on the list please email your image to boardsyearbook2008 -at-gmail.com

please delay this until oscarbravo can give submission details on the actual image.

please title email with your user name, and inside with details specified by oscar bravo

Why dilemma? Or do I remember it incorrect that the book can have up to 120 pages? And did you contact those 42 already if they are still interested?

Anyhow, enjoy you holidays, hope they don't last a month;)

Can you please explain how you came up with that list?

There was 90 odd on the original list 72 on this one?

How many are people are going to be in the book.

How are you going to pick from the reserve list, You said random before but this does not really explain the process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

Can you please explain how you came up with that list?

There was 90 odd on the original list 72 on this one?

Mele pm'd everyone on the original list to confirm their interest, i assume 18 people pulled out or didn't reply

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    Mele pm'd everyone on the original list to confirm their interest, i assume 18 people pulled out or didn't reply

Ok thats one of the questions answered, do you know how many ppl can be included and how he is going to pick from the reserve list?

i need confirmation off oscarbravo of photos cap. if its 120, ya'll in. if not. its gonna be random... litrally list and gonna hold down right key with eyes closed and let go and whoever its on is in til list is full...

cant think of a better way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Just on the 120, as I brought that up. That's 120 pages total in the book, you'll need to lose a few pages for cover page etc.

• Advertisement

according to word count

theres 72 names here.

there are 42 on reserve list.

Word count is close but not entirely correct as the likes of buzz has a space in his user id.

I think 70 is the excel count on number of rows.

120 - 70 = 50 = enough for the reserve list (42) if they all contributed an image and room for the topping and tailing of the book - intro statement, Santa Strike Force Blurb, etc., etc.,

This of course assumes 120 pages.

Advertisement