Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[BPB] Submissions

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

oscarbravos call on this... realistically a few on reserve wont reply or bail anyway

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There are three pages "lost" in the layout, for title, copyright, and the mandatory blurb logo page - there were four last year, as there was a page dedicated to the photographers' names, but I think it can be kept to three.

Work on the assumption of 117 photo pages available. Oh yeah, and stick me on the list, will ya mele? I assumed I was in. ;)

Oh yeah - final photo sizes coming later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

oscarbravo, from reading the other thread im under the impression that prints from the book will be available, think its still being discussed. can you just leave a small bit of space for those details if so?

Ideo wrote: »
    oscarbravo, from reading the other thread im under the impression that prints from the book will be available, think its still being discussed. can you just leave a small bit of space for those details if so?
    You mean leave space in the frontmatter for information on how to order prints? Shouldn't be a problem. The frontmatter will be one of the last bits I design.

• Advertisement

OK, I've done four basic layouts: landscape, portrait, double-landscape and double-portrait.

The double-* formats are for the very specific case I mentioned earlier: if someone has two photographs that are thematically linked, in that they are visually complementary and will have a single caption. The pictures are necessarily somewhat smaller, so I don't recommend going for this option unless you really, really want to submit a matched pair of photos. I also reserve the right to quibble about what constitutes a matched pair.

The book is basically landscape format, so the biggest size available is landscape: 8.4x5.6", or 2521x1680 pixels. Portrait photos are slightly smaller, at 4.8x7.2", or 1442x2163.

Double-portrait photos are 3.7x5.6", or 1121x1680. The runts of the litter are the double-landscape at 4.8x3.2", or 1442x959.

Please resize photographs to fit these dimensions (there was talk of a thread to explain how to do this in various different software packages).

You'll notice that all the dimensions are optimised for a 3:2 aspect ratio. This is the ratio I've seen most often in the random photo threads, and seems to be the standard for modern digital camera sensors. Photos will fit best into the book's design at this aspect ratio - to the extent that I'd ask people to have a think about whether their submission would look good cropped to it - but I will not be cropping any photos I receive. If a photo isn't 3:2, I'll fit it into the design as best I can.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

emails begin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

Can the reserve people submit photo's now?
    Or must they wait for contact from ye guys?

bout to go away on holidays... so yes they can, please put reserve in subject...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Is this all reserves or have selected reserves been pmd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

all reserves AFAIK, 117 spots available in the book, 70 confirmed from the original list and there are 42 on the reserve list so there should even be spots to spare if everyone submits

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I PM'd melekalikimaka about the delay with my submission, not got anything back so thought best to post here.

I'm currently in the states on honeymoon and have limited net access and access to my photos for obvious reasons, anyway I won't be back in Ireland till the 12th of Oct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I haven't received anything about a submission??? Help someone????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

sineadw wrote: »

AnCatDubh has updated the Update Thread in the main forum with links to the posts where the relevant information was given. So off we go...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

can someone please clarify, do we need to get our image finalised and emailed asap if we are on the 'confirmed' list or have we a few days to get this done?

thanks guys and sorry about any confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

October 11th as per post by melekalikimaka. But worthwhile to do it sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

oscarBravo wrote: »
    OK, I've done four basic layouts: landscape, portrait, double-landscape and double-portrait.

The double-* formats are for the very specific case I mentioned earlier: if someone has two photographs that are thematically linked, in that they are visually complementary and will have a single caption. The pictures are necessarily somewhat smaller, so I don't recommend going for this option unless you really, really want to submit a matched pair of photos. I also reserve the right to quibble about what constitutes a matched pair.

The book is basically landscape format, so the biggest size available is landscape: 8.4x5.6", or 2521x1680 pixels. Portrait photos are slightly smaller, at 4.8x7.2", or 1442x2163.

Double-portrait photos are 3.7x5.6", or 1121x1680. The runts of the litter are the double-landscape at 4.8x3.2", or 1442x959.

Please resize photographs to fit these dimensions (there was talk of a thread to explain how to do this in various different software packages).

You'll notice that all the dimensions are optimised for a 3:2 aspect ratio. This is the ratio I've seen most often in the random photo threads, and seems to be the standard for modern digital camera sensors. Photos will fit best into the book's design at this aspect ratio - to the extent that I'd ask people to have a think about whether their submission would look good cropped to it - but I will not be cropping any photos I receive. If a photo isn't 3:2, I'll fit it into the design as best I can.

A couple of quick questions, my images are Olympus 4/3 format (I'm sure that there will be some other Oly users as well), the shot I have in mind I could crop but would prefer not to, will this cause you significant problems?

Also, and this is probably more important, my image last year was one ot those which printed significantly darker than expected (and I'm using a colour corrected display), should I compensate for this myself or has there been any change since last year to eliminate the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Just submitted mine :D

+1

Both of you are on the list so start panicking about what to submit and not that you haven't received anything :D

I think melekalikimaka is now using ESP to work out the on list / off list details :D

People - please check the list :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Submitted! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Sent in mine this afternoon. A breeze compared to last year! :D

nilhg wrote: »
    A couple of quick questions, my images are Olympus 4/3 format (I'm sure that there will be some other Oly users as well), the shot I have in mind I could crop but would prefer not to, will this cause you significant problems?

Also, and this is probably more important, my image last year was one ot those which printed significantly darker than expected (and I'm using a colour corrected display), should I compensate for this myself or has there been any change since last year to eliminate the problem.

oscarBravo may be offline until tomorrow to properly answer this but at a guess when he states;

I'd think he means that you would get your entire image without a crop however size may be a constraint as he'll be fitting your 4/3 into a 3/2 (too late for my head to do the maths to work out the impact of that one... but it's kinda like your 4 ratio fits into the 3 ratio hence the 3 (of your 4/3) is scaled downward, or something like that. sorry - someone who's head isn't shattered please to the maths here...)

Personally, if I were you i'd definitely crop your image before submission. The 3/2 layouts are going to be exact. IMHO anything different however well fitted (but not cropped) will just look odd in the middle of a mostly 3/2 format.

oscarBravo can confirm if this is the case when he gets back online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    all reserves AFAIK, 117 spots available in the book, 70 confirmed from the original list and there are 42 on the reserve list so there should even be spots to spare if everyone submits

Oh the confusion. Are you sure it's all reserves? I wasn't on the 'selected' reserves list (rather the original) and haven't received any PM or email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

nilhg wrote: »

im an olympus user as well and ashamed to say im not too up on the ratios mentioned..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

im an olympus user as well and ashamed to say im not too up on the ratios mentioned..

3/2 is Canon, Nikon and the rest, essentially if we need to crop it means roughly 10% off the top or bottom.

My recollection is that I didn't have to crop for last years edition but I don't have the book here so I can't check.

I'm going to wait and see what OscarBravo thinks, especially about the need to up the brightness slightly to compensate for some induced darkness in the printing process.

I'll clarify on ratios later today, too complex to explain on a mobile phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sent mine yesterday.:)

OK, to try to explain the aspect ratios, have a look at this image:

attachment.php?attachmentid=92636&stc=1&d=1254837858

The red rectangle has an aspect ratio of 3:2, meaning that the height is two thirds of the width (2/3). That's the aspect ratio that will fit best into the book's design.

The blue rectangle within the red has an aspect ratio of 4:3, so the height is three-quarters of the width. Any photos submitted in this aspect ratio should be sized to the height I specified (1680 pixels), and the appropriate width (2240 pixels).

That's for landscape-orientation photos. Portrait-orientation should be sized to the width I specified (1442 pixels) and the appropriate height (1922 pixels).

In more general terms: think of the dimensions I've provided as the maximum size box that's available to put a photo in. Resize your photo so that its smaller dimension is equal to the smaller dimension that I've provided, and the larger dimension is appropriate to the aspect ratio of your original photo. You should end up with at least one dimension exactly the same as the sizes I've specified, and the other either the same or smaller. If you end up with any dimension bigger than the specified sizes, you did it wrong. :)

If that's not clear, let me know and I'll try to explain further.

The above is dealing mostly with "squarer" aspect ratios. The same principle applies to "wider" aspect ratios:

attachment.php?attachmentid=92637&stc=1&d=1254837858

The green rectangle is a 2:1 aspect ratio panoramic-style image.

How does the aspect ratio affect the layout? The book is designed around 3:2 images, so the various text elements are laid out to align with photos of this aspect. If an image isn't 3:2, it will be smaller than it otherwise would be, it will be centred within the 3:2 space (as shown in the diagrams), and the text elements on that page won't necessarily align with the photo.

I was faced with the decision to either design each page to suit whatever aspect of photo was on it, in which case I lose design continuity across the pages; or stick with a standard layout and lose some of the neatness of alignment. I think this way looks best.

The option is always there to crop a photo to a 3:2 ratio, but I'm not going to suggest that people do so in order to fit slavishly into my design. If a crop to this ratio - or even towards this ratio - looks good to you, then feel free. If you think your photo looks its best at its original ratio, then I'll cheerfully include it as is.

I hope that helps.

• Advertisement

On the subject of calibrating image brightness - I don't have a calibrated monitor, so I'm going to take photos as they come. My photo was very slightly dark last year, as were others, such as gandalf's. How to compensate for this? I don't know. I'm probably going to take the safe route this year and submit a brighter photo.

I came across this entry on the blurb.com website, which may or may not be of use to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Just wondering if we are still using the same (landscape) page layout as last year, ie.

14723DBF9B5D4C11825B4C6F8ED57EFC.jpg

....because the dimensions for this page is : 8.8 * 6.3 (2638 * 1884)

27501EAA0F624A5E9D8CF56644FE2C8A-500.jpg

...or are are you (oscarBravo) doing different layouts for the particular circumstance, ie. portrait, landscape, double etc.

I'm doing different layouts. Landscape pictures are slightly smaller than last year's, but portrait pictures will be somewhat bigger.

A question for y'all - what's the feeling on including boards.ie usernames in the book?

Last year, the only person to do so was Th0nda. I know some people value anonymity, but it just seemed a little strange to me that a book of photographs by boards.ie regulars didn't have boards.ie names in it.

As a rule, I'm a big fan of consistency, so part of me says if you don't have a username for every photo, you don't have any. But there's a part of me that would love to see boards.ie usernames in the book, even if some people choose to withhold them.

What do people think?

For any future submissions - just in case we decide to include usernames - could people include a yes/no to publishing their boards.ie username?

When I submitted earlier today I mentioned real and boards name, as I'm fine with getting both published in the book.
    1. Some people here know me in real anyway
    2. If you google my real name you come to my flickr where I basically use the same nick like here.
    3. Anonymity in the internet is only in parts possible anyway ;)
    4. Knowing some/most here only by their username it wouldn't be the same to see their pictures in the book with a name that means nothing to me

Edit/ as per consistency I agree with you, it would be nice to have the same info for all pictures, but I understand if some don't want to have the connection between real- and nickname. But then again you asked earlier (post 106) for "a brief explanatory note or narrative about the photo". So some might say something about the picture, some might not and then we don't have consistency there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

are we including a quick blurb about the image EXIF etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I included my username in the submission email subject, and my own name in the email. I'd like my own name under the photo if I had my choice, but I'll go along with whatever's handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So have all the reserves from the list below made it? Can we (me) submit?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62209712&postcount=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

Could everyone who's submitting an image for the photobook please pm me the answer to the following questions

1. real name?
    2. are you happy to have your photo available for reproduction with a donation from all reprints going to SSF?
    3. are you willing to have your photo printed, mounted and framed for display at launch party/exhibition? (€30-40 TBC)
    4. are you willing to have you photo appear in newspapers to promote the book?

No pressure to answer yes to any of the questions, please pm me even if the answser is no to all the questions

xia wrote: »
    as per consistency I agree with you, it would be nice to have the same info for all pictures, but I understand if some don't want to have the connection between real- and nickname. But then again you asked earlier (post 106) for "a brief explanatory note or narrative about the photo". So some might say something about the picture, some might not and then we don't have consistency there either.
    Very true. Based on the submissions I've received so far, all but one have included a photo title and narrative; the other has had neither.

I think it could work quite well to have most photos credited with both real name and username, and make exceptions as required.
    trishw78 wrote: »
    are we including a quick blurb about the image EXIF etc.
    Not as standard. If anyone wants to do so as part of the narrative, I'll be happy to include it.
    Trotter wrote: »
    I included my username in the submission email subject, and my own name in the email. I'd like my own name under the photo if I had my choice, but I'll go along with whatever's handy.
    Just to be clear: every photo will have the photographer's real name. The only question is whether you are happy to have your username associated with it. Mine, for example, will say "Paul Cunnane (oscarBravo)".

Very true. Based on the submissions I've received so far, all but one have included a photo title and narrative; the other has had neither.

If you haven't done yet, might be worth asking the one why title and narrative weren't included. Maybe he/she just wasn't aware of the idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Hey all,

I've read through all the posts but I'm still not clear on what to do if you're on the original reserve list - submit now or wait to hear from Mele?

Thanks,

Oisin

Nisio wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've read through all the posts but I'm still not clear on what to do if you're on the original reserve list - submit now or wait to hear from Mele?

Thanks,

Oisin
    So have all the reserves from the list below made it? Can we (me) submit?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62209712&postcount=4

Melekalikimaka is offline for a couple of days but the understanding is as follows;

Those from the 'defo' list that responded to melekalikimaka's initial pm are all in. I think there were 70 in total that responded to the initial defo list. The reserve list comes into play now. As the book page count of up to 120 minus the 70(ish) confirmed minus a couple of pages for the introduction etc., leaves a number of free pages greater than the number of the reserves, it is almost certain that all those on the reserves list can be included in the book. Yay!!!!! Well, I hope i'm right anyhow - as I say, he that must be obeyed 'melekalikimaka' should be back online over the next couple of days, so this could drastically change this should I be completely off the wall with it.

Ok, all the above is very complex, essentially if you are on the original reserve list do your selection and make your submission along the same guides as the defo list people.

This is the reserve list as we have it:
    5uspect, bravo, bren2002, Broxi_Bear_Eire, CampbellsSoupO, cianor, clearly, Dades, Daz R1, dinneenp, Dodgykeeper, duffman85, eightcell, fuzzywuzzy1, GhostInTheRuins, Hugh_C, jen_23, John, KarmaGarda, Kbeg3, keps, Kintarō Hattori, KylieWyley, lalee17, mixer101, Mr E, Nisio, oshead, pullandbang, robinph, sasar, sheesh, Sleepy, smelltheglove, vervevalley, waldo, WillyWonka, xshayx, zaraba

OK - with four days to go until the deadline, we've received just fourteen submissions.

Get those fingers out, people!

Oh yeah - the quality of the submissions to date has been awesome. I think we're going to have yet another book to be proud of this year. I hope the design does it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

Submitted... hope it's ok! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

done aswell hope its up to the standard

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    Could everyone who's submitting an image for the photobook please pm me the answer to the following questions

1. real name?
    2. are you happy to have your photo available for reproduction with a donation from all reprints going to SSF?
    3. are you willing to have your photo printed, mounted and framed for display at launch party/exhibition? (€30-40 TBC)
    4. are you willing to have you photo appear in newspapers to promote the book?

No pressure to answer yes to any of the questions, please pm me even if the answser is no to all the questions

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes, Who pays the additional printing charge's?
    4. Yes

Dink wrote: »
    Submitted... hope it's ok! :(
    Submitted where? I haven't seen a mail from you yet.
    rameire wrote: »
    done aswell hope its up to the standard
    Looks good to me. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Just submitted (and actually remembered to attach the photo on the 2nd take :rolleyes:) Can you let me know if you got it ok? And if it's ok not to have a description?

Oh, and will the images have a border? If not and we're going for white I'll need to add one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

OK - with four days to go until the deadline, we've received just fourteen submissions.

Get those fingers out, people!

Finger removed! :eek:

I'll mail it in the morning!

• Advertisement
Advertisement