Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[BPB] Submissions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

sineadw wrote: »
    Oh, and will the images have a border? If not and we're going for white I'll need to add one..

Me too, can't find if we're going for black or white pages with or without border! :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

sineadw wrote: »
    Just submitted (and actually remembered to attach the photo on the 2nd take :rolleyes:) Can you let me know if you got it ok? And if it's ok not to have a description?

Oh, and will the images have a border? If not and we're going for white I'll need to add one..
    Got it, looks good. Proof sent.
    dakar wrote: »
    Me too, can't find if we're going for black or white pages with or without border! :)
    The pages are the palest of pale cream, and the photos will have a slim, pale grey border. In the on-screen preview, it looks almost like the photos are card-mounted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Taking the finger out and choosing an image.....
    I'll have it to you before the weekend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

NORTH1 wrote: »
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes, Who pays the additional printing charge's?
    4. Yes

m_s_nixon can confirm but my understanding of it is that the printing charge is for your image to be printed and possibly displayed as an exhibition piece (to be confirmed/depending on numbers/depending on selection/depending on time/etc./etc.).

thus if you agree - and there is no obligation and no compulsion to agree, you would fund the printing cost as outlined by m_s_nixon. Once the launch and associated activities are done with then the printed image is yours - well you've paid for it anyway so in effect all you are doing is loaning it to the project for a defined period.

Think like the printing arrangement of the boards exhibition.

If you don't agree (and it isn't expected that everyone will) you are in no way impinging on your participation in the book project.

The book is primary in all of this. The printing add on is an extra which you can opt into should you wish. Control firmly in your own hands.

The guys may have a little more on the book launch plans shortly - too much up in the air just yet I expect - some meetings taking place, etc., etc., Question 3 is there to cover a possibility of having a fairly spectacular launch if I understand it correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

yeah exactly as ancatdubh said, the cost would be beared by yourself and you will have ownership of the photo. There's been a great response to those questions, thanks to everyone who pm'd me :)

Does anyone know when the book will be on sale? there's not much that can be done regarding a launch party until we know when the book will arrive

there was a Dublin group buy last year, anyone know how that worked out? is it worth doing again this year?

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    1. real name?
    NORTH1 wrote: »
    1. Yes

:confused:
    yes seems to be a common name on this forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    :confused:
    yes seems to be a common name on this forum :D

Ohh real name was submitted. I took it as do you want your real name posted.

ah, my mistake, i see how that could cause confusion! if you submitted it with your photo then that's no problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I'm uploading my submission tonight complete with narrative and the questionaaire for m_s_nixon

hope it'll be ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

is there a thread showing already submitted images? im having a little trouble deciding on which to submit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

picture sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

is there a thread showing already submitted images? im having a little trouble deciding on which to submit....

not yet!!!

I thought about that. I'd actually really rather not do that, because one of the things I enjoyed most about receiving last year's book was the novelty of seeing each image (apart from my own) for the first time.

Does anyone really want a spoiler thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I thought about that. I'd actually really rather not do that, because one of the things I enjoyed most about receiving last year's book was the novelty of seeing each image (apart from my own) for the first time.

good point actually.....i wud only be interested in seeing the other photos to help me choose my own but the surprise factor would be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

good point actually.....i wud only be interested in seeing the other photos to help me choose my own but the surprise factor would be good...

I don't think the photographs should be shown until at least the launch party. Also you should pick your favourite photo and not worry about what the pro's on here are submitting. Thats the great thing about this project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think, maybe for the next book, there should be some form of theme, or something linking the images.

I had a tough choice of what image to submit. Obviously most of my images are sports, and have some I'd love to see in the book, but I assume that the vast majority of images in this book will be landscapes or cityscapes and such. So, I went through my collection of images - sport, landscape, cityscape, portraits, etc and then (after talking to another photographer from here) decided on an image to submit.

It's a hard choice really, especially without knowing the other types of images being displayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Hey, sorry for not having time to read through all the pages in the thread...I moved to London last week and I've been jobhunting/flathunting the whole time and not alot of internet access. Is there an email address for me to send my submission to. I looked back a few pages and I wasn't able to find one. If someone could please pm me where I need to send my submission I'd really apreciate it alot.

Thanks,

Pete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Like what NORTH1 has said/written ! I don't think you need to see other peoples photos. It's a personal opinion anyway, ie. a photograph that represents you as a photographer, at whatever stage you are at right now, pro, amateur, newbie etc. The book is about us all and all the different kinds of photographers, not a 'mine-must-be-up-to-the-standards-of-everyone-elses' kinda way !!
    We all have deliberations over what to put into the book, but it should be a personal choice,........./plans on buying a few cans tonite, settle down to finalize my photo, and hopefully the right one will 'pop' out at me !

To pete4130 : boardsyearbook2008 -at-gmail.com (obviously replacing the -at- with @)

< http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055691227 >

Format:

OK, I've done four basic layouts: landscape, portrait, double-landscape and double-portrait.

The double-* formats are for the very specific case I mentioned earlier: if someone has two photographs that are thematically linked, in that they are visually complementary and will have a single caption. The pictures are necessarily somewhat smaller, so I don't recommend going for this option unless you really, really want to submit a matched pair of photos. I also reserve the right to quibble about what constitutes a matched pair.

The book is basically landscape format, so the biggest size available is landscape: 8.4x5.6", or 2521x1680 pixels. Portrait photos are slightly smaller, at 4.8x7.2", or 1442x2163.

Double-portrait photos are 3.7x5.6", or 1121x1680. The runts of the litter are the double-landscape at 4.8x3.2", or 1442x959.

Please resize photographs to fit these dimensions (there was talk of a thread to explain how to do this in various different software packages).

You'll notice that all the dimensions are optimised for a 3:2 aspect ratio. This is the ratio I've seen most often in the random photo threads, and seems to be the standard for modern digital camera sensors. Photos will fit best into the book's design at this aspect ratio - to the extent that I'd ask people to have a think about whether their submission would look good cropped to it - but I will not be cropping any photos I receive. If a photo isn't 3:2, I'll fit it into the design as best I can.

pete4130 wrote: »
    Hey, sorry for not having time to read through all the pages in the thread...I moved to London last week and I've been jobhunting/flathunting the whole time and not alot of internet access. Is there an email address for me to send my submission to. I looked back a few pages and I wasn't able to find one. If someone could please pm me where I need to send my submission I'd really apreciate it alot.

Thanks,

Pete.

Summary Update thread in the stickies on the main forum. That should sort you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just submitted mine. I'm on the reserves so fingers crossed:)

• Advertisement

Just submitted mine. I'm on the reserves so fingers crossed:)
    you'd never know! ya might be asked to submit two if we dont get enough takers :D

on selecting and themes - i guess the 'have a few cans and see what pops up' is a good plan :) I short listed a few of mine then asked the partner to choose quickly - she picked the same one I had in mind, so i'm happy enough, it can get a bit daunting but i would say, think about which of your photographs elicits a strong response from you!. |Don't dwell too long on it either.

Regarding themes I think there'd be too much hassle if we had to stick to a theme and like what if someone's style didn't suit the theme - they'd be excluded!! also would a thematic approach make it slightly boring?

anyway good luck in the selections time is running out :eek:

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Paulw wrote: »
    I think, maybe for the next book, there should be some form of theme, or something linking the images.

I had a tough choice of what image to submit. Obviously most of my images are sports, and have some I'd love to see in the book, but I assume that the vast majority of images in this book will be landscapes or cityscapes and such. So, I went through my collection of images - sport, landscape, cityscape, portraits, etc and then (after talking to another photographer from here) decided on an image to submit.

It's a hard choice really, especially without knowing the other types of images being displayed.

To be honest Paul what I loved about the book last year was the variety of shots taken and I think the missmash of different styles and types of shot worked very well. I'd prefer to keep it that way going forward myself. Maybe a consideration towards limiting the number of landscape, portrait, sports, street type shots for next years volume to ensure one type doesn't dominate could be an option.

I think we need more sports type shots because yes the majority will be landscapes and I am one of the guilty ones in that regard this year around. (Well it was either that or one of my dark shots and I think I will shy away from that because last years experience.)

I'll have my shot submitted tonight as I have done a few test runs with printouts at various brightnesses today. So hopefully that sorts out the problem I had last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think that this has been discussed quite a bit with both books, mainly the first one anyway.

The thing that links it is that we are all from here. The fact that the images are so diverse is the goal of the project. This is also why there has not been any selection process & the only stipulation is that you have to purchase at least one copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Jeez, I was hoping for one of your shots from Leinster's march to Heineken Cup victory last year, though one from the Croker semi might not do much for sales down south.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

What kinda stuff are people putting in the Narative for the picture?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Just a line or two about the image. Doesn't need to be a short novel.

plus it is optional. if yer pic tells the story then it is quite possible that there is no need for a narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

OK - with four days to go until the deadline, we've received just fourteen submissions.

Get those fingers out, people!

I'm not on any list but I would be very interested in submitting a photo should it come to the deadline and there are not enough submissions to fill the book. ;)

CatchLight wrote: »
    I'm not on any list but I would be very interested in submitting a photo should it come to the deadline and there are not enough submissions to fill the book. ;)

drop a pm to melekalikimaka who is the project manager and cc it to oscarBravo who is the book designer. melekalikimaka is away for a few days so it will take a while before he may be back to you.

There may be some free submission pages in the book once the dust settles so a bit of space may be available on first come first served for anyone that hadn't pre-booked their space previously. Normal entry conditions of must agree to purchase copy of the book from blurb when it becomes available, etc..., apply.

In anticipation, you should have preselected an image that you would like to submit should it come to pass. The normal deadline will be October 11th, so you will need to be ready to submit if space is available at that stage. You should also have the image prep'd (crop factor / image size / etc..) as per the guidlines (see update thread on the main forum page for details).

/fingers crossed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    drop a pm to melekalikimaka who is the project manager and cc it to oscarBravo who is the book designer. melekalikimaka is away for a few days so it will take a while before he may be back to you.

There may be some free submission pages in the book once the dust settles so a bit of space may be available on first come first served for anyone that hadn't pre-booked their space previously. Normal entry conditions of must agree to purchase copy of the book from blurb when it becomes available, etc..., apply.

In anticipation, you should have preselected an image that you would like to submit should it come to pass. The normal deadline will be October 11th, so you will need to be ready to submit if space is available at that stage. You should also have the image prep'd (crop factor / image size / etc..) as per the guidlines (see update thread on the main forum page for details).

/fingers crossed for you.

I probably should have been a bit clearer! I sent a PM to melekalikimaka a couple of weeks ago to register my interest for the book. I didn't vote in the poll initially so just wanted to say I would be available to fill in should anyone drop out. Thanks for the quick reponse AnCatDubh, I'll have an image ready should it come to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I just picked the photo that got the most "thanks" in the Random thread. I'd crack up trying to pick one otherwise. I hate looking at my own photos. The longer I look the worse they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Email sent. Thanks guys!!!

gandalf wrote: »
    To be honest Paul what I loved about the book last year was the variety of shots taken and I think the missmash of different styles and types of shot worked very well.

I think we need more sports type shots because yes the majority will be landscapes

Hmmm ... I didn't submit a sports shot. :D

But, maybe I'll go back and do that now (since I was asked to alter my image anyway (dimensions)).

Oh, decisions, decisions.

Hmmm ... I didn't submit a sports shot. :D

But, maybe I'll go back and do that now (since I was asked to alter my image anyway (dimensions)).

Oh, decisions, decisions.
    For what it's worth, I loved the photo you submitted.

Nisio wrote: »
    What kinda stuff are people putting in the Narative for the picture?
    A couple have had none. Most have a single line, either a when-and-where, or a description of what the photo means to them. Some have provided a paragraph telling a background story to the photo. One has simply given a website address.

It's entirely up to the individual. What you included with yours works very well.

would it be possible, by lets say, tomorrow evening to confirm that submissions were received and are in order just in case there was an error in the process?

Re: the narrative - i just jotted down my thoughts of the scene when i created the photograph. Oh and a short description of equipment used.

Fionn wrote: »
    would it be possible, by lets say, tomorrow evening to confirm that submissions were received and are in order just in case there was an error in the process?
    I'll double-check, but I think I've replied to everyone who sent in a submission - including your good self. :)

I'm designing the pages on-the-fly as I receive them, so I can stay on top of the process.

25 submissions received so far. Keep them coming!

For what it's worth, I loved the photo you submitted.

For what it's worth, I love it too, and it was one that both myself and someone else I asked really liked.

It's a hard decision to make. Either way, I've to go back and edit anyway.

Ah, what to do. :eek:

oh! i should have checked my e-mail first doh! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Finger out......E-mail sent ;)

/no need for deliberations & beer tonite, ah well maybe I'll get some anyway, just to celebrate my submission ! :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Valentia wrote: »
    I just picked the photo that got the most "thanks" in the Random thread.

That was my plan but the bloody search function is down so had to use the better half's judgement - wouldn't trust my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Mail sent!;)

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Mail sent!;)
    Sent where? I haven't seen a mail from you.

Submission sent, fingers crossed it doesn't look out of place with some of the geniuses of the forum :)

Check main forum. Important stuff for some people.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Sent where? I haven't seen a mail from you.

Sent the mail again from a different mail account, really hope it worked this time.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Sent the mail again from a different mail account, really hope it worked this time.
    Yup, got it, ta. Proof to follow shortly.

Did you get mine? I am not around today or tomorrow so let me know if I need to resend?

Scratch that just got your mail :)

We're rolling... 30 submissions received so far. This is starting to look like a book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement