Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment case-No win, no fee, please HELP

Options
  • 21-09-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

I would really appreciate some advice from someone who might know about this as I am worried sick at the moment. I spoke to my solicitor in May about my case (An employment discrimination case) and told him about my case and outlined the 7 laws that my employer had broken with me. I assured him I could prove 90% of my case as it was all in writing. He stated that day that day that I definately had a case, and also told me that he would be prepared to work on a "No win, no fee" basis, and he thought that we would have a good argument/case against my employer.

I handed in my case In July, and today he said he would have it all finished by the end of this week. I asked him if he still considered it to be a good case, and also if he was still prepared to work on a "No win, no fee" basis. The answer he gave me to both these questions was that he would comment on Friday when he has finished going through the case.

This has left me worried sick, as I have to take my case on a "No win, no fee" basis. As said above he verbally agreed (Back in May) with me that he would work on a "No win, no fee" basis. Would it be possible for my solicitor (Now having gone through my case) to turn around on Friday and say to me that he can't work on a "No win, no fee" basis? And having spent the past 2 months going through my case, can he now say I want to charge you for the past 2 months?

I would greatly appreciate some advice on this, as I am really worried at the moment, and it would certainly put my mind at ease.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Did you receive anything in writing from the solicitor confirming the no win no fee aspect of the contract - it would certainly help you. I'd ask the solicitor about the fees upfront - you could get advice from the law society, but your main priority at this stage is the forthcoming employment tribunal case - that's a little more more pressing at the moment.... and good luck in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Go to the Law Society.

As far as I know, Solicitors have to provide estimates of fees and then a detailed receipt of fees after.

Just say to him when you meet him that it's agreed to be a no win no fee case, and if he turns around and tries to charge yo for everything (and he hasn't been working on your case for 2 months, he just hasn't got around to commiting a couple of hours to go through it in 2 months) just tell him it was initially agreed with no fee, and now that he wants to charge you no longer wish to avail of his service, he can't force fees on you, and if he tries, report him to the law Society...

Don't worry, you're completely fine.

Advertisement