Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non meat cat food

Options
  • 21-09-2009 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering if there is non crap meat cat food out there? Have been watching some interesting videos on youtube and am thinking now on switching my cat over to better dry/wet stuff.

Maybe something like finely ground fish that's is pressed into shapes?
    Or just give him real food, albeit scraps from the butchers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB6K2BBd518
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHadGUXCf7I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Someone posted a link to this site before: http://www.catinfo.org

It's got info on feeding raw on it and so on.

Zooplus do a load of different wet cat foods, some of which is pure meat and definitely looks much better than the stuff you usually get here. I feed my lot the Bozita tetra packs, which is pretty processed but has halfway decent ingredients. A lot of people swear by the Applaws and it looks good enough for a human to eat, but it costs a fortune so I can't afford to feed three cats on it. The Porta 21 cans seem as good as the Applaws and are a bit cheaper, but all the meat seems to come from Thailand, which I feel a bit suspect about. You could try feeding one of the better foods and then giving some raw on top of that. My cats love chicken wings and legs and get really excited when I feed them.

For dry food, I'd definitely go with the Orijen, unless the cat is old and could have kidney issues, as it's quite high in protein, but wet is better as cats don't drink enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My cats are on special dry food for health reasons, but I give raw chicken wings, liver, mince or whatever couple of times a week as treats.
    Just avoid too much fish as its not a natural part of their diet and they can get ill from eating too much fish.(can't remember name of illness)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I don't know any thing at all about feeding barf to a cat, but for dogs its meant to be very good.
    I feed applaws wet food with red mills dry food (will be changing back to applaws dry in about a week). The applaws wet food I find is excellent, my cat loves it, only thing il say is that as its not a complete food so you'l either need to give her a variety of the flavours or supplement it with a bit of complete food. The dry applaws food is excellent, iv fed it to her before and she done great on it, I think its a pretty good quality food as its 80% chicken meat and none of that derivatives crap, its a complete food as opposed to the wet food. Id recommend feeding the dry food and maybe a tin a day of the wet stuff, that way it won't be so expensive, thats what I do anyways.

I think almo nature do the same type of thing as applaws also. Zooplus have the applaws wet food on offer at the moment, 12 cans for 9.99 I think. I get it up the north where its a bit cheaper than zooplus, not a whole lot cheaper though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

BARF is great for cats, but if you want to go the packaged food route, I highly recommend Orijen dried food. 75% meat content :) Take a look at the ingredients list on zooplus.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

I usually feed my cat raw meat because I know what I give him. I mix with InstinctTC for him to have all the necessary nutrients.
    Check that website: http://www.felinefuture.com/

Otherwise, I also give me Encore - I did a bit of research on that one, and it is like the Applaws food but a bit cheaper..However you can find them only at Sainsbury. It contains min. 75% meat. Really when you open the can, you want to nibble in it yourself!!!! Well, am not surprised my cat absolutely loves it..

• Advertisement
Advertisement