Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mains smoke alarm sounds intermittently

• 21-09-2009 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

OK,

here is the problem, we have mains powered smoke detectors in the house and over the last couple of weeks, the alarm goes off in the early hours of the morning, about 2am to 4am maybe 3 or 4 times a week (annoying when your fast asleep :mad:), it is never during the day, always about the time I have stated, I have replaced the backup batteries, cleaned them etc and they still go off, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

CamperMan wrote: »
    OK,

here is the problem, we have mains powered smoke detectors in the house and over the last couple of weeks, the alarm goes off in the early hours of the morning, about 2am to 4am maybe 3 or 4 times a week (annoying when your fast asleep :mad:), it is never during the day, always about the time I have stated, I have replaced the backup batteries, cleaned them etc and they still go off, any ideas?

dust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

dust?

could be, but I do hoover them, maybe I will try it again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

do you know which alarm is activating

davelerave wrote: »
    do you know which alarm is activating
    I can't tell, they all go off (we have 4) at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

One of the detectors should be flashing red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

could be batteries. all mains smoke alarms have a 9v battery for backup. if installed a few years should be changed neway. no harm to test them once in a while either by pushing the test button on them. hold for a few seconds and they should all ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

This might sound laughable, but since youve hoovered the chambers and changed the batteries (with decent batteries i hope as the cheap 70c things do not output 9V after a few hours) check for a dead spider.

Open it up and hoover around the whole smoke alarm.

I found a tiny spider and the legs were touching 2 contacts on a PIR. It had me running around fault finding for days.

LeBash wrote: »
    This might sound laughable, but since youve hoovered the chambers and changed the batteries (with decent batteries i hope as the cheap 70c things do not output 9V after a few hours) check for a dead spider.

Open it up and hoover around the whole smoke alarm.

I found a tiny spider and the legs were touching 2 contacts on a PIR. It had me running around fault finding for days.

the alarm that was going off was full of little flies :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

CamperMan wrote: »
    the alarm that was going off was full of little flies :mad:

Fireflies obviously. :D

Advertisement