Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Photo competition prize??

• 21-09-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭

Anyone seen the Photo competition for Amateurs (only) launched by the IRISH EXAMINER today??
    The topic is a really easy one which should interest anyone here, it's simply:
    "Pictures that make you smile"
    Best thing is the Prize: A shiny new FORD MONDEO ECOnetic.
    Closing date is Sunday 18th October, entry details in "De Paper"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

link?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Woe, assumed it would be in todays so just rushed out to the corner shop to buy one. Ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Anyone seen the Photo competition for Amateurs (only) launched by the IRISH EXAMINER today??
    The topic is a really easy one which should interest anyone here, it's simply:
    "Pictures that make you smile"
    Best thing is the Prize: A shiny new FORD MONDEO ECOnetic.
    Closing date is Sunday 18th October, entry details in "De Paper"

thats an impressive prize .... maybe a MOD could make this a sticky. :D

:( I dont qualify .... but doubt I would have had a chance anyway - going by some of the stuff I've seen in the past on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

grumble grumble...copyright, licensing, royalties...grumble...

oh wait. a car ? feck the copyright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

grumble grumble...copyright, licensing, royalties...grumble...

oh wait. a car ? feck the copyright...

Yeah, but you didn't get to the bit when the prize is awarded and it's not agreeable with the amateur photographic community and then we all give out that the selection was sh*te and the judges don't know what they are doing and, and, and, and........ :pac::pac::pac: (can't wait)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Yeah, but you didn't get to the bit when the prize is awarded and it's not agreeable with the amateur photographic community and then we all give out that the selection was sh*te and the judges don't know what they are doing and, and, and, and........ :pac::pac::pac: (can't wait)

hahahaha :D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I hope the judges have a good sense of humour. Them and the local muslim community, youth defense, PETA and Sinn Fein. I've had an idea.

Woe, assumed it would be in todays so just rushed out to the corner shop to buy one. Ah well!
    It is - on P 8 of Today's Irish Examiner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Anyone want to be a star and put up a picture of pg 8? ;)

I too look forward to people complaining about the eventual winner :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

It is - on P 8 of Today's Irish Examiner

Thanks ValueInIreland!
    I looked through it twice and didn't even see it (And it took up so much space... *facepalm*)! Apparently I left my brain at work today... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Can anyone post a picture of the ad?
    I forgot to pick up the paper the other day and would like to see the entry requirements.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I see the Examiner are running a competition, you could win a Mondeo, might be of interest. You can mail the pics to readerpics@examiner.ie with your name and address etc, there is an under 18 category also where you can win a camera and printer. I can't find a link on the interweb, I suppose they want you to buy the Examiner for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Any more terms and conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What's the story with ownership of the photo once you submit it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

It says "Entries become the property of the Irish Examiner upon receipt. The Irish Examiner reserves the right to use the entries and the winners' details and photograph in the promotion and publicity campaign for the competition."
    followed up a few lines later by "All entries are accepted as original works"

and

"A contract of agreement is formed, when the entrant has submitted his/her entry to the above competition and as such all entrants agree to be bound by the rules of the competition as stated above. Failure to do so/ or breach of said contract/rules, following submission will render the contract and the submission null and void"!!

Hope this clarifies things!!

So my question is: if they own the entry do they also own the copyright? and if you submit a photo that is a crop of a larger image do they own the full original too? For instance if you won the competition and won the car and they somehow later believed you had breached the contract with the use of the photo (or something along those lines) how realistic is it that they might come after you for the Mondeo?!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Can someone clear this up for me, is this ametuer only? A distant relative has been asking me for some time to submit oe image to a paper, of his daughter in law and is now convinced I should enter this picture into this competition. I had no intention of entering to be honest but if withint he rules I would do so to appease him.

tororosso wrote: »
    It says "Entries become the property of the Irish Examiner upon receipt. The Irish Examiner reserves the right to use the entries and the winners' details and photograph in the promotion and publicity campaign for the competition."

No thanks, anything I would have entered, I want to be mine! I'm not going to give them all rights to my photos I submit just because they might win the comp.

You'd be really annoyed if you entered, didn't win and then they used your photos for whatever they want!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

steve06 wrote: »

You'd be really annoyed if you entered, didn't win and then they used your photos for whatever they want!

I wouldn't. I'd be pleased as punch as I'm sure a lot of amatures would.
    I'm just a happy snapper so would be delighted if any of my images were used for anything at anytime. I wouldn't care if it graced The Baby Seal Cub Clubbers' Monthly and for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Can someone clear this up for me, is this ametuer only? A distant relative has been asking me for some time to submit oe image to a paper, of his daughter in law and is now convinced I should enter this picture into this competition. I had no intention of entering to be honest but if withint he rules I would do so to appease him.

its only open to amateurs :( unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

^^ yes, but you would like to be credited with it, or at least have your name associated with it ! I know I would, and I'm only an enthuastic amateur who hasn't earned a penny farthing from photography..........yet!.....until I win THAT car obviously :rolleyes::p

Q. What 'will' they do with ALL those pics submitted ?

The Irish Examiner ran a similar competition last year and a selection of the images were published in a special supplement which credited all the Pictures to the entrants. People were chuffed to see their picture in a National paper with their name - normally reserved for Pros Only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I think it's only when people have earned money from photography that they start to get annoyed with these competition T&C's.

Up until before I earnt a bit of money from photography I'd just happily submit photos to anything,Now I'm much more cautious about the competitions I enter,And although I'm still very much an amateur,I'd hate to not win and then see my photo in the paper knowing I could of got payed for it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Seriously Lads why does every thread about competitions have to go down this road.

This comp is run by a Business, and like most businesses they need to make money, they have a comp, get a load of file pictures, give away a car, dont like then dont enter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭kingbrumak

Anyone have a link to this competition? Tried looking it up on the examiners website with no success!

Seriously Lads why does every thread about competitions have to go down this road.

This comp is run by a Business, and like most businesses they need to make money, they have a comp, get a load of file pictures, give away a car, dont like then dont enter!
    The competition is entitled "Pictures that make you smile" - any photos I've taken that make me smile, are going to be my favourite photos because they invoke a good feeling. By entering these photos into a competition like this I'm giving up the rights to those photos for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

This sort of reminds me of an episode of Father Ted, Who won the car? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

After a good walk to the shop to get the paper... I'm only now copping that this thread is a few days old - DOH! :o

Can someone who has the paper pleeease scan/photo the competition page? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭kingbrumak

gary82 wrote: »
    After a good walk to the shop to get the paper... I'm only now copping that this thread is a few days old - DOH! :o

Ya if someone had a copy that they could upload that would be cool. Cant seem to find any info on the examiner website.

• Advertisement

gary82 wrote: »

There's an Ad in Today's paper which is nearly 1/2 page - one with a BIG RED Shinny Ford Mondeo in it!!!

Hi Folks, 'Just posting a reminder to enter your "Photographs that make you smile" in this competition - you could win a Brand New Ford Mondeo. Entries need to be in by this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Hi Folks, 'Just posting a reminder to enter your "Photographs that make you smile" in this competition - you could win a Brand New Ford Mondeo. Entries need to be in by this weekend.

Hi Valueinireland. Are you the Cork Examiner?. Sounds like it to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Covey wrote: »
    Hi Valueinireland. Are you the Cork Examiner?. Sounds like it to me?

Barker Photographic I thought.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Barker Photographic I thought.

Oh right. sorry then Paddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Anyone got the submission details to hand for this competition?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

dudara wrote: »
    Anyone got the submission details to hand for this competition?

Afaik its a picture of something that makes you smile (can't find any info on mimimum specs for picture but assume a decent jpg. size), accompanied by a caption of less than 20 words, plus name, contact details etc. to readerpics@examiner.ie

It says the competition ends today ("entries close on Sunday 18th October), so not sure if that means its too late or today is the last day? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

anyone have anymore info on the comp? do i need to write a brief paragraph about the photo etc

Information is pretty sparse. I read somewhere 5pm was the deadline. I'd chuck it and give it a title and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Covey wrote: »
    Information is pretty sparse. I read somewhere 5pm was the deadline. I'd chuck it and give it a title and see what happens.

Never read 5pm was the deadline, hope not. As far as I know its just the pic and caption of less than 20 words, and you have 20 mins to get it in!

Advertisement