Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EU Teacher moving to Ireland

• 21-09-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi people!
    I am a teacher in Germany (qualified to teach German, French, & English) & next year my boyfriend (who is Irish) & I are thinking of moving to Ireland (mainly as he wants to return home). I am hoping to teach in Ireland but at the moment I am completely lost as to how I would go about doing this. I have contacted the Dept of Education in Dublin and they told me I have to register with a council or something in Maynooth. How I go about looking for a job in a school I do not know though. I would love if you can give me some pointers and help me?? :).

Do you think my subjects will be helpful? My boyfriend says French and German are the two most popular languages which is good.
    Will I be able to teach English? I love teaching it but as I understand it being a non-native speaker I will not be allowed to teach it in Ireland? (even though my boyfriend tells me I speak more intelligible English than half of Ireland ;)!)
    What would the salary be (Approx) for a teacher like me who will have 3 years experience at that point? I have looked at salary scales and so on but I cannot really understand them.

Thats all - hope there are some people who can help:)!

Vielen Dank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

First of all you'll need to find out if you're qualified to teach in Ireland.
    The teaching council of Ireland demand that you have each subject in each year of your 3 year degree (30% of each year I think). I doesn't matter to them what you did your teacher training in or where you qualified. They charge 200 euro plus 75 euro per additional teaching subject to assess your right to teach it. go to teachingcouncil.ie for more info. It's quite a long tedious process so you should get started straight away. You will definitely have to sit the exam on the History and structure of Irish Education. Good Luck!

Advertisement