Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Allergies...

Options
  • 21-09-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have allergies in a severe way, day to day life?
    I suffer greatly from allgeric reactions to dust/dust mites and some pollens.
    It results in asthma/eczema and sinus issues. Its made me completely miserable and i take antihistamines like smarties to no avail.

Just wondering if anyone else has allergies to something thats hard to avoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I get terrible hayfever too and its is such a nuisance. The worst was always when I was home in the country for summers (before I started work and spent all my time in a city). Avoiding the source and getting good treatment with your GP helps. I hate taking medicines (the irony for a doctor) but it is neccesary or you just suffer in misery.

what to avoid is what you are allergic to and figuring this out is the best means of prevention although for me, grass pollen is hard to avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I get really bad sinus pain, suffering with it the past two days in fact. I find it very frustrating as there's no real cure and most doctors I've been to haven't got a lot to offer. I think it's hard for people to understand because you don't look sick. But it totally knocks me out when it's bad.

I gave up dairy which has seemed to help a bit but when I'm stressed it definitely strikes it's ugly head. I'm also quite allergic to dust mite which is difficult enough to eradicate but otherwise it's hard enough to manage. I take medication regularly but it doesn't solve the problem really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 breda206

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    Does anyone here have allergies in a severe way, day to day life?
    I suffer greatly from allgeric reactions to dust/dust mites and some pollens.
    It results in asthma/eczema and sinus issues. Its made me completely miserable and i take antihistamines like smarties to no avail.

Just wondering if anyone else has allergies to something thats hard to avoid.

I have dermographia, Allergic Skin. My skin is irritated by everything! Alcohol in perfumes, soaps, shower gels, shampoos, my boyfriends cologne ( which he doesn't wear anymore :( ). So I use Dove shower gel, which doesn't irritate me, I wash my hair separately from my shower, so the shampoo doesn't irritate my skin, but I have to rinse very thoroughly so my scalp won't be left irritated. I have to be careful not to touch my face with my hands too, it'll leave me with red marks, much because your hands pick up so much dirt when you're out and about. I also have hayfever, allergic to dust the usual.

I could go on all day. I take an anti-histamine most days. It gets more severe if i'm stressed so I try not to think about it. :)

Anyone else out there like me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 choosinganame

I'm the same. Currently looking for ways to combat allergies and asthma. Have you looked into alternative solutions?
    So far I've come across allergy cleaning kits, dust mite controller machines, special mattresses and Himalayan salt lamps. Haven't tried any of them yet but I'm saving up!

Medication only does so much for me. I found that one of the anti-hesthimines I was on just made me sleepy too so I'm currently switching meds.

For now, one thing that I find REALLY helps with sinus problems is peppermint tea! The heat and steam from the tea are good for clearing things up and peppermint has natural decongestant in the form of menthol. I drink it whenever I think of it and it works in 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 choosinganame

Oh ya, I also had to cut out dairy but since doing that over a year ago I've discovered goats cheeses, feta cheese, lactose free milk and other products. There's actually a lot more options out there than I originally thought. Also had to quit smoking, which is lethal for the sinuses!

• Advertisement
Advertisement