Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good book on shooting

Options
  • 21-09-2009 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi guys

I was wondering whether there was a good book available on shooting technique with a scope? The Club i have joined so far has not offered much by way of instruction. And I think I'd be happier having some guidance ;)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

lordarpad wrote: »
    Hi guys

I was wondering whether there was a good book available on shooting technique with a scope? The Club i have joined so far has not offered much by way of instruction. And I think I'd be happier having some guidance ;)

thanks

Have a look on Amazon, search for shooting, rifles, sniper etc........ and click on the new and used button for the cheaper deals for a book, always good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hi guys

thanks
    That's a shame, you should name the club as it might shame them into doing something ;)

You didn't say if you were shooting prone, benchrest, standing etc. so I'll keep stuff general.
    • Learn your scope's adjustments (windage and elevation) so that you know how many mm a click of the turrets will take you at different ranges (25m, 50m 100m etc.)
    • Get all the right equipment that you need to do the job. That's rests for benchrest, a sling and jacket for prone etc.
    • Have useful 'crib notes' that you can read whilst shooting: the scope settings (which direction to turn is also helpful :)), and a windage chart like this one:
      Windchart.png
    • Have a notebook to make notes of what you did and how it affacted your shooting. It's amazing how going back over your records can give you a better feel for how you're progressing.
    • Test different brands and grades of ammo to see which best suits your rifle and conditions.
    • Talk to other people and see what their experiences are. It's also very useful to talk to people who use the same kit as you to see that you are getting the best out of it.
    • Last but most importantly; have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

thanks :) currently I am working a much more basic issue - how to get the cheekweld on the stock right and repeatable. and why some of my shots go waay out the left and some hit the 10 dead center. simple motoric skill really.

I am shooting benchrest with the only left handed benchrest rifle of the club and am at the very very beginning. I know i will have to practice a lot but I'd rather do it rigth from the beginning and not acquire bad habits that i need to unlearn later.

One question for instance: benchrest hold: do I hold the front stock or not? If not (I tried that with one shot and went out waay left again), what do I do with the right hand? support the buttstock? What else?

Sorry, the real basics ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

thanks :) currently I am working a much more basic issue - how to get the cheekweld on the stock right and repeatable. and why some of my shots go waay out the left and some hit the 10 dead center. simple motoric skill really.
    You know the real benchrest afficionados hardly touch the rifle at all, don't you? No cheek on the stock, no hand anywhere near the rifle and the finger sneaks in and releases the trigger. :D

What you're doing, is a benched version of prone rifle and a lot more stuff needs to be addressed. If you can't get consistent cheek pressure or position, usually you attach something to the cheek piece (top grip was a favourite) so that you could always feel the same spot.
    I am shooting benchrest with the only left handed benchrest rifle of the club and am at the very very beginning. I know i will have to practice a lot but I'd rather do it rigth from the beginning and not acquire bad habits that i need to unlearn later.
    Too late :D
    No sorry, I'm only joking. Shots going to the left could be anything from trigger pressure to cheek pressure or something you're doing with either hand. For benchrest you shouldn't really use your right hand as the rest is doing that bit for you. Try shooting with the least amount of contact and see how that goes.
    One question for instance: benchrest hold: do I hold the front stock or not? If not (I tried that with one shot and went out waay left again), what do I do with the right hand? support the buttstock? What else?
    A proper benchrest rig should have a rest under the foreend and the butt. Some lads put their non trigger pulling hand on top of the stock pressing it down slightly into the back rest. Others will have it on the sand-filled butt rest and squeeze or relax to get elevation adjustments.

Have you ever thought that the shots that go way left are going in the right place?

Remember it's not the score per se, but the group the shots form that tells you where your sights are set. If most shots go left and a few go centre then it's possible the centre ones are you doing something wrong.

I think this is more questions for you really, but what you should do is try for consistency first and don't be chasing the ten ring. Get a nice group formed and keep your contact with the rifle to a minimum. I don't know what sort of rests they have in your club, but I doubt they're the expensive sort which usually means you having to support the rifle in some way. That's not a criticism of your club; good rests can cost upwards of €700 :eek:

I've done archery before, so I am aware of grouping :)

I am having a strong feeling that the ones out are actually off. they are too few, with way more in the general direction of the target. And yes the rests are the cheap kind. I also noticed that on some shots I was canting the rifle ever so slightly. Rectifying that seemed to help a bit.

I shot a few straight tens, where the bullet barely broke the ten ring from the inside and those kinda "felt right" if that makes any sense?

my other issue is that ok, I found out that shooting with glasses seems to be out as i tend to get the upper frame straight in the sites, although that may point at a problem with holding the gun ...

Thanks for all the tips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Hi guys

thanks

I'm not a rifle guy. When I expressed an interest in taking it up I was told that these are the best to read:

[FONT=&quot]‘Book of the Rifle’ Jim Carmichel[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]‘The Art of the Rifle’ Jeff Cooper. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]‘The Complete Book of Shooting’ Jack O’Connor, Jeff Cooper,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]‘Marksmanship’ Gary Anderson[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Several [/FONT][FONT=&quot]books by David Tubb.[/FONT]

FWIW
    Rs
    P.

pedroeibar wrote: »
    I'm not a rifle guy. When I expressed an interest in taking it up I was told that these are the best to read:

[FONT=&quot]‘Book of the Rifle’ Jim Carmichel[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]‘The Art of the Rifle’ Jeff Cooper. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]‘The Complete Book of Shooting’ Jack O’Connor, Jeff Cooper,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]‘Marksmanship’ Gary Anderson[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Several [/FONT][FONT=&quot]books by David Tubb.[/FONT]

FWIW
    Rs
    P.

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

How you can have a list like that that doesn't include "Ways of the Rifle", I don't know. One of the best books ever written on how to shoot, regardless of whether you shoot ISSF stuff or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Sparks wrote: »
    How you can have a list like that that doesn't include "Ways of the Rifle", I don't know. One of the best books ever written on how to shoot, regardless of whether you shoot ISSF stuff or not.

Because I said I was not a rifle shooter.;) Nobody answered the OP's question, so I submitted what had been recommended to me ages ago.
    Will add your book to my "presents list". Is it really worth $110?:eek:
    Rs
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

pedroeibar wrote: »
    Because I said I was not a rifle shooter.;) Nobody answered the OP's question, so I submitted what had been recommended to me ages ago.
    Will add your book to my "presents list". Is it really worth $110?:eek:
    Rs
    P.
    Edenkillie have it for £39
    Chmpionshooters.com have it for $60

ps - it's probably worth $110, though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

fat-tony wrote: »
    ps - it's probably worth $110, though
    And if you're shooting any kind of bullseye shooting and want to do it right, it's probably worth even more than that. There simply isn't any other book out there like it - all the others show you "the correct way to shoot". Ways doesn't - it shows you how dozens of top shooters shoot, points out that all those ways do work, explains why the various ways are different (usually because of the physiology of the shooter), then shows the underlying basic approaches. I've never come across a book like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

... shooting ... with a scope...

Depending on exactly what type of shooting you have in mind this http://cgi.ebay.ie/The-Ultimate-in-Rifle-Accuracy-by-Glenn-Newick-1990_W0QQitemZ390097643920QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item5ad3a1a990&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177 might be a lot closer to what you want.

And a lot cheaper too.

Advertisement