Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suzuki Cultus 96 "Check Engine"

• 21-09-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I don't know much about cars and only got my first car a month ago, a Suzuki Cultus automatic, this one here actually:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=134630&cat=all

Today it died very suddenly as I was driving down the road.

I free-wheeled to the side of the road, and after a couple of attempts, it was going again. I managed to get it back to my house, and it hasn't started since.

The battery and spark plug stuff seems to be working fine, but it's just not "catching". Actually, it did start up, but quit after about 30 seconds. I have the generic "check engine" warning light, so I don't know what's wrong.

The oil/water etc are grand, and it has been running perfectly until now, apart from some low rev levels.

Does anyone know what might be going wrong? I'm hoping to have a mechanic look at it in the next couple of days, but I'm rightly miffed as I've put a few quid into it since buying it (tax, tyres, stereo etc)

Thanks for any thoughts on this. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Doing a diagnostic will tell a lot. I'm pretty sure the Cultus doesn't use the standard OBD type diagnostic system, Think it uses a specific Suzuki type.

It's ok for petrol I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hi Colm, thanks for the reply.

I have no idea how to do a diagnostic check to be honest.

The first thing that I thought of was that I may have flooded the engine, or that there may be a problem with the fuel pump.

I just started her up and she went around the block without any problems, so I'm praying that it was a "once off".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

These things don't tend to be one-offs.

You only paid small money for the car, so problems can be expected. maybe ask the seller if he/she ever experienced anything similar (while not accusing them of selling you a lemon)

Keep an eye on temp levels etc in the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks again for your time Colm. I took it to a mechanic friend of mine, who couldn't find anything wrong.

The warning light has stopped appearing, temp is normal, and she's running fine again. Actually, it's starting up much quicker than before, so I'm wondering if there was some dirt or blockage that might have sorted itself out.

He did say that it was probably not a one off, that it might "develop", but I'm fairly hoping it was a once off.

If it happens again, then I'll start worrying, but for now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Oddly, the stick wont go down past D, (into L or 2). I never much use L or 2, but I think this has only come about recently. Hard to see a connection with the other problem though.

Advertisement