Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Wonderful City...

Options
  • 21-09-2009 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

What the hell is that "fab" smell going up Shop Street?

Seriously, the town smells SO BAD....
    And its been like that the past 2/3 weeks.... Smells like a toilet...

WHY?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

fend wrote: »

Seriously, the town smells SO BAD....
    And its been like that the past 2/3 weeks.... Smells like a toilet...

WHY?? :confused:

Normally the smell around that area is the sewers. When the council re-surfaced Shop St/Quay St area, in their wisdom they didn't upgrade the sewer system.

Now, most of you will know that a lot of buildings on Shop St/Quay St have basements. So when it rains heavy coupled with the sewage, the pipes can't handle it... leading to the basements of the shops getting flooded in sh1t, literly! (Well, the ones with plumbing) - So i'm guessing that the smell is the sewer system on high load

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

It's gotten soooo much worse the past week... Attempted to sit outside with my mother for coffee/tea the last day, and it was actually so unbearable that we ended up going to Quay Street.

Was it raining the past week? How are they getting flooded if we've been having dry weather? I dont recall it raining the past two weeks, at least not enough to complain about!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Was it raining the past week? How are they getting flooded if we've been having dry weather? I dont recall it raining the past two weeks, at least not enough to complain about!

I was just using rain as an example. But the source of the smell is nearly always the sewers. Could be a blockage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The smell has been there for years and I recall it being really bad the time of the cryptosporidium outbreak; the papers were full of stories about the town not only losing customers because the lack of clean water but also because of the stinkiness... it can get really bad in Eyre Square where Zhivago used to be...I do think that part of why the place never shifted was because the manky smell which had to have come from the sewers...but then Supermacs ploughed in...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Your Ma! :D

Ya it's getting really bad lately, the smell up around Ulster Bank in Eyre Square is still really funky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

It's getting worse! And it seems to have spread to Quay street now too, it smelled awful down there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Just walked down Quay Street there.... It'd actually make you gag if you stood there long enough....

Dont recall it being that bad during the summer months. Yes, of course there was the odd smell here and there, but now it just seems like a constant bad smell following you from BT's all the way to Spanish Arch... Keep checking my shoes the whole time as I'm walking down....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

In a word, it's poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Ya it's getting really bad lately, the smell up around Ulster Bank in Eyre Square is still really funky.
    That's the must of thousands of freshers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i blame the smell on dreadlocked spaniards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Similar smell I noticed in HMV around summer last year.

Advertisement