Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest Dublin 2009

Options
  • 21-09-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys saw a thread in the Cork folder thought id put one in here anyone know of anything happeneing around Dublin city for the festival?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

hope so it was great last yr down the docklands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

a quick google gave this http://www.oktoberfest-dublin.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

2nd page of this thread from last year makes the whole thing seem like a disaster

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57570500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    2nd page of this thread from last year makes the whole thing seem like a disaster

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57570500

I didn't make it last year, so I don't really know what it was like and who it would suit. More good reviews than bad anyway, I hope to make it this year, I was in Berlin a while ago and enjoyed the beer food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Last year was awful.
    • Beer in half litres...wtf?
    • Crowded as ****
    • Irish prices
    Too bad I can't make Munich again this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

anywhere in dublin doing proper oktoberfest sized beers?

anyone been yet? any good? is it really packed? might pop over tomorrow. I will try to enjoy myself Lightening I promise!

diegowhite wrote: »
    anywhere in dublin doing proper oktoberfest sized beers?

the bull and castle at christchurch does Maß for about 9 euro. Is a decent boozer. Lord Edward across the road is a great pub too.

anyone been yet? any good? is it really packed? might pop over tomorrow. I will try to enjoy myself Lightening I promise!

That's the attitude!!!!!! Deffo going to mooch in at some stage with wifey, she is a beer connoisseur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I went last year with the gf, great craic, only popped in for 1 and stayed for 3 hours. Got there about 5.30 on the Friday, went into the beer tent for one, came back out about 6 and noticed a queue of about 100+ waiting to get into the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

They have big 1lt tankards of beer this time so it makes it a bit more authentic. It walked around it there on friday after work and it looked like good craic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Gonna head down with the missis maybe tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

the bull and castle at christchurch does Maß for about 9 euro. Is a decent boozer. Lord Edward across the road is a great pub too.

Yeah I would recommend the Bull and Castle as well.

Seem to have a fair few decent beers and the prices are pretty reasonable.

I think it was 4.50 for a pint of Rebel Red.

Was in there a few weeks ago and saw something about Oktoberfest but can't remember any details.

Other pubs in Dublin which might be doing something Oktoberfest promotions would probably be
    the Porterhouse and maybe Messer Maguires.

Edit: Using the whole google thing came across this review - Kinda light on details but does give a general idea of what it's like.
    Oktoberfest in Dublin
    Posted by: jean in: Food Events

Peter, Catriona and I attended the Paulaner Oktoberfest last night, to check out the beer, food and entertainment on offer. And report back to you people of course. The Oktoberfest is taking place near CHQ in the Docklands, there’s one big beerhall style tent and lots of food stalls outside. The event is free (although there were some signs indicating that a cover charge of €10applies after 10pm) and runs from the 8th to the 18th of October.

I should be honest from the outset and say that Oktoberfest is not for everyone. And I am one of the people that it’s not for. You have to really like German music, which was being played at an ear-bleeding volume for most of the time we were there. Our hungover friend Snackbox arrived with us, but couldn’t take the noise and bailed after about six minutes. The food is also very German. The sauerkraut and mustardy sauce were tasty, but I found the bright pink, spongy, floppy frankfurter style meat a little disturbing.

Of course I should also point out that non-Germanophiles like myself were in the minority, and there was actually a great buzz around the place, with lots of very happy beer drinkers singing along to the godawful German music. The food stands seemed reasonably priced, with plenty of food available for around the €5 mark. Lots of the staff are German and some of them performed those German dances that involve much hopping. This brought back happy memories for me of a family holiday in Austria, when my then 11-year old brother was forced to take part in an Austrian dance demonstration. I then teased him about it until he cried. What a magical day that was.

Are you going to Oktoberfest? Are you a fan of German culture or is it nicht gut for you?

http://www.cheapeats.ie/2009/10/09/oktoberfest-in-dublin/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The Haribo jellies are a rip off. But they did tide me over till breakfast today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

WindSock wrote: »
    The Haribo jellies are a rip off. But they did tide me over till breakfast today.

I was tempted to get some - until I saw the price...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Got pretty scathing reviews here last year.... i wanna try it though, might head over this week.

Has anyone here been, when would be a good time to go (thats before 10)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

;)
    :| wrote: »
    Got pretty scathing reviews here last year.... i wanna try it though, might head over this week.

Has anyone here been, when would be a good time to go (thats before 10)?

Get there early in the evening as it gets very busy from 9ish onwards with queues forming later.

Deffo worth a visit for an alternative drinking experience in the middle of Dublin!

Be warned though, that Paulaner beer is stronger than most Dubs are used to and gets served in fierce big glasses so you need to pace yourself! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Strange enouhe time gh they have Paulaner on tap in messers all time but dont think its a strong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    I'm heading down at the Weekend... I hope the Queues for Beer are fairly reasonable unlike SeptemberFest @ Farmleigh Last Month, which was a complete disaster -- One Bar required Patrons to wash their Glasses and reuse them as they ran out.

I love Beer Festivals but shoddy organisation and overcrowding kills the spirit.
    I'll be going down with an open mind anyway, and a thirst!

There's 3 bars in the main tent plus a wine bar outside that also does beer. Then up top (outside the CHQ building) there are 3 other bars - 2 serving beer & one doing cocktails, etc. Great thing about that is, if a queue does start to get down to the main tent, at least you can get a beer while you wait!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

anyone know when the cover charge starts
    http://www.paulaner-oktoberfest.com/opening.htm
    from the link; it says before 10 is free and on the right it says before 8!!!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Anyone know what the damage is for a stein there?

Making a day of it tomorrow.

adamski8 wrote: »
    anyone know when the cover charge starts
    http://www.paulaner-oktoberfest.com/opening.htm
    from the link; it says before 10 is free and on the right it says before 8!!!???

Seems to be only after 10pm. Even if you are already in, when you go to get a drink after 10pm you have to pay the €10. They give you a wristband so they know that you have paid. At least they give you a voucher for €10 too which you can use to buy food at the various stalls. I believe it's some sort of requirement of the late drink licence.
    Sean_K wrote: »
    Anyone know what the damage is for a stein there?

Making a day of it tomorrow.

Steins are €10 but you need to give a €5 deposit for the glass which you get back later.

Went down for lunch, had a German spicy sausage for five Euro, there were people knocking back the beers already! I was jealous... loads of stands selling various German cuisine, spicy pork, sausages, hot dogs, warm pretzels etc... Lovely lunch, it was cooked on a huge charcoal stand with a grill suspended over it. Deffo going to check this out some night soon, I'd wrap up and wear warm socks though, most of it is floating on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Went down saturday was good but expensive. Fiver each for a sausage, a beer and a crepe. Also they said their would be kids entertainment so I brought the kids. There was none. The beer hall was great but it needed to be bigger - there was no seating available at 15:00. 6 out of 10.

kmick wrote: »
    Also they said their would be kids entertainment so I brought the kids. There was none.

That's not good. And, I always forget how expensive things get when kids are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We went there last Saturday at 4pm. We got seats inside the marquee no problem. While it wouldn't compare to the real thing in Munich it was still great craic. The atmosphere was good and I would like to return there again.

Great fun, great atmosphere, great food, lovely beer. Pricey, but worth it, queuing wasn't too bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good fun- though they seemed to only have Weiss Bier on draught now....really well organised event though!ope to see it back next year- perhaps bigger...

Advertisement