Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Precision calipers - Electronic ones any good

Options
  • 21-09-2009 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

I got a cheap one from Hong Kong and it's frigged already. I'd say I'll spend the money on the next one.

Moore and Wright are a good brand I think - any others?

Guarantee would be nice if I'm going spending the money.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do you know theres one in Aldi next Thursday?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_10562.htm

I got one about 3 years ago in there and never had any problem with it anyway, great bit of kit to have, I assume its the same one, its the same price, 5 year warranty also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a couple of Vernier calipers, both 6" One is Mitutoyo and the newer is Limit brand, the limit have bigger numerals then the Mitutoyo but the Mitutoyo are better quality.
    Good ones start at €50+ and the cheapo ones don't last very long at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Thargor wrote: »
    Do you know theres one in Aldi next Thursday?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_10562.htm

I got one about 3 years ago in there and never had any problem with it anyway, great bit of kit to have, I assume its the same one, its the same price, 5 year warranty also.

Thanks for the heads up but the electronics box on that looks the exact same as the cheap one I have at the moment. Gonna spend the money this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

I use a Mitutoyo vernier at work. The one I have is now about 10 years old now and never gave a days problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

ruffmut wrote: »
    I use a Mitutoyo vernier at work. The one I have is now about 10 years old now and never gave a days problem.

Great - looks like Mitutoyo will do the trick.

• Advertisement

It seems as though the last model 500-196-20 is a very good price! It has the Absolute system that remembers where the jaws are, this avoids you having to zero the calipers every time you use them.
    They would be my choice.
    Some have Data outputs and other stuff that you probably won't need.
    edit: have a look at the Mitutoyo website they have a model for 44stg.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

I tested a mitutoyo calipers vs a cheap aldi one, both gave exactly the same readings over a number of measurements when I tested them. So if you just want a cheap one the aldi ones look fine

soldsold wrote: »
    I tested a mitutoyo calipers vs a cheap aldi one, both gave exactly the same readings over a number of measurements when I tested them. So if you just want a cheap one the aldi ones look fine

Yep they will probably read the same for the lifetime of the calipers, but I bet the life of the Mitutoyo ones will be longer than the lifetime of the Aldi ones.

Advertisement