Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ash Thinnings

• 21-09-2009 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Lads i've an elderly uncle with about 6ha of an ash plantation it's due for thinning. He has two guys coming to look at it to quote for the felling and extraction. Whats the rate for this kind of work is it by the day,ton,metre
    and what methods are used for getting the timber out.
    He's wants me to be there to talk to them and TBH i have no clue about it
    Whats the timber worth i assume its only suitable for firewood but i don't
    know i'd be grateful for any info Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Hi Scaniaman.

Right, first things first. Before you allow anyone to work a chainsaw on your land, make sure they have insurance. It is very dangerous work so you need to make sure they have insurance.

What age is the plantation? It is a little difficult to tell you what sort of volume of timber needs to come out without knowing its age.

To be honest i think you will be doing well if you can get the plantation thinned for the value of the timber. There was a Department of Agriculture/Forest Service grant to carry out the work, around €650 per hectare. However this was only to cover the administrative work.

If you can get the first thinning done and the contractors take the fire wood as payment then i would do that.

A few things to remember; you need a felling licence before you do any thinning, you can get this from the Forest service web site.
    You need to make sure the sawmen are taking the correct trees. You need to take trees that are small, forked or dead. Here is a link to the Teagasc guidelines. http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/docs/research/Teagasc_silvicultural_guidelines_Broadleaves.pdf

PM me if you have any questions.

Caoimhin.

Advertisement