Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs Day- Non Ticket Pubs - Help!

Options
  • 21-09-2009 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

hey folks.
    heres the scenario- me and a mate are big timeGuinness drinkers. Have tickets for a very much non-traditional Dublin venue for Thursday (southside) and we're wondering what good pubs are non-ticketed this Thursday so we can spend that 17.59 moment in the right kind of environment. Ideally southside city centre haunts.

Setting- its all about setting. A Pint Of Plain.....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'm in the same boat as yerself..

Here's the list of pubs that are ticketed, so I guess just pick one you like that isn't listed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Anywhere one of us throws up is mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

yeah me and my mates have no tickets for anywhere either.bleedin horse,the barge,and the portobello ae in the runnin for us.nice pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

God I'd no idea so many places are ticketed. My ol fella gave me tix for Vicar street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I'll be running out of work and into a pub on Camden St. A barman told me last week the tickets sold were not capacity, many places you'll be able to get in by paying either 8 or 10 euro on the doors. I'll be trying a few places anyway, i've not taken Friday off for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Bleeding Horse the best one put forward so far, leaning to that or Kehoes or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

crossbar in harolds cross is giving free pints to the first 50 people in before half 5, and free finger food

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

crossbar in harolds cross is giving free pints to the first 50 people in before half 5, and free finger food

Are they paying you extra for that?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

From what I was made believe last week, most places received kegs from Guinness with the idea that 50-100 customers were to be served a free pint at 17:59 or thereabouts.

However, nobody is promoting this - not sure if that's explicit instruction from Guinness, whether the pubs don't want to play along, or whether the promotion isn't as widespread as I thought...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ah, we cant be there before 530pm:(

we are heading up around james street/thomas street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Whats actually gonna happen on Thursday? Why are people paying into pubs? I'm out of hte loop!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

damnyanks wrote: »
    Whats actually gonna happen on Thursday? Why are people paying into pubs? I'm out of hte loop!

err.....it's Guinness day

250 years since Arthur started brewing the black stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

irishbird wrote: »
    err.....it's Guinness day

250 years since Arthur started brewing the black stuff

the phrase 'any excuse will do' comes to mind:D

will be in the foggy meself -what time do the gigs start?

Locamon wrote: »
    the phrase 'any excuse will do' comes to mind:D

will be in the foggy meself -what time do the gigs start?

Saw an ad on the back door of the Foggy Dew saying 'live tv broadcast from 5pm'..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Find a place that serves Beamish. Better drink, no crowd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's kind of like reverse Good Friday syndrome, except the day makes me want to drink lager instead of a big burger.

Essexboy wrote: »

Eurgh ;)

Are they paying you extra for that?:pac:

im off but ill be there, i plan on being one of the 50:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sheemsa

M1(merrion inn)

Bartender told myself and a mate that there is a fee pint going at 17:59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

im off but ill be there, i plan on being one of the 50:pac:

Drink fast enough and use your elbows to be 4 of the 50 ;)

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    Drink fast enough and use your elbows to be 4 of the 50 ;)

have you seen me drinking pints?

oh wait you have:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

damnyanks wrote: »

So you have to pay in to have a cheap pint of Guinness to enjoy the occasion. Unless they have entertainment on, i smell a conjob.
    Essexboy wrote:

At least you won't be sh1tting after those pints :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

You have to pay 10euro to get a free pint??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Sounds odd alright.
    Is this going on all-around the country be it a city, town or village or even clubhouse?
    I don't imbibe Guiness anyway so celebrations aren't worth anything.
    When're Bulmers gonna do something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

No. You have to pay for entertainment (the proceeds of which go to the Arthur Guinness fund). This is the information I have gathered which I think is correct.

St. James' Gate has some bands playing and a big party. Kasabian and Tom Jones will be there. Tickets never went on sale for this and were only available through Guinness promotions.

There are 4 big venues after that which cost 18 euro odd to go. These are Tripod, Academy, Vicar Street and Whelans. These are all sold out. Each venue will have 7 acts through the night. Each one has 2 confirmed acts and 5 surprises. The 5 surprises will be some of the other acts playing the other venues - They will all swap around.

Then there are the 28 pubs. All of these cost around 9 euro to get in and will each have 2 acts. Mainly of moderate stature. It is possible though that some of the big acts from the big venues are going to turn up in some of these smaller pubs. It hasn't be released who will be playing where. The pub acts include Born Blonde, Concerto for Constantine, David Kitt, Fiona Melady, General Fiasco, Jerry Fish and the Mudbug Club, Leopold, Lumiere, Oppenheimer, Sharon Shannon, Spring Break, The Coronas, The High Kings, The Infomatics and White Belt Yellow Tag. AFAIK, it is possible that the likes of Razorlight or the Kooks or even Kasabian could turn up at one of these pubs too. Currently the only place with tickets left for sale is Spy Bar but it says on this thread that it might be possible to pay in on the door in some places.

Then there are the rest of the pubs. I'm really not sure what's going on with these but I think maybe free pints and promotions and possible the whole event on the TV although I don't think this TV broadcast will be on on channels at home. Apparently the celebrations will be worldwide with Bob Geldof and Carson Daly hosting shows (I assume London and New York respectively). I was in a pub in London at the weekend and they had a sign up saying they will be showing it on TV but i'm not sure what the story is.

The last thing I suppose is drinking on the streets or entertainment in Temple Bar - Anyone know anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I know this isn't southside... or northside... but the Thirsty Bull in Tyrellstown is serving free pints of Guinness between 5-6pm... no sign of a cover charge either.

Advertisement