Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5D MKII software..

• 21-09-2009 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi ,
    I need the canon RAW image file editor, there seems to be a problem with the CD ...
    it won't install and http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010678.asp

isn't showing me what i need ..

CD won't install .. weird .. perhaps it's cos i use Vista 64 ????

either way ... EXTREMELY annoying after spending €2,500 on the camera ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

the canon raw codec is 32bit only
    you'll need a third party solution. maybe adobe and their 'raw to dng convertor'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

Damn .. that's a real shame, does GIMP support RAW from canon 5DMKII ?

any other option ?

what about CS4 , im sure that supports canon 5dii RAW ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dugas

Hiya,

I have a 64-bit Vista and it works perfect - now. Does your updates in Vista run smoothly? can you start up your system recovery app? If not you have a bug in the system and that is why you software is not installing. System tries to set up an restore point - what is not happening - and the install process stays still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

FedEx wrote: »
    Damn .. that's a real shame, does GIMP support RAW from canon 5DMKII ?
    Gimp is 8 bit per channel only, but can import/convert raw using ufraw.

Dotorg's tip is spot on, dng is a good archive format, widely used and compact files.

• Advertisement

I installed GIMP and UFRAW and that seems to do the trick , thanks

Another thing, will CS4 natively support Canon 5Dmk2 raw ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

The latest versions of Adobe Camera RAW (which is part of CS4) and Lightroom 2 will.

Using UFRaw, there doesn't seem to be a sharpness adjust ?

sh*t and it doesn't seem to be able to save files ?

i have tried to save RAW files as jpg or ppm after modifying and
    it hangs ?

is there a problem running UFRaw on vista 64 ?

...lucky im getting CS4 soon ....

• Advertisement

Sorry it looks like I misled there, I think ufraw in gimp decodes only, I never bothered trying to save as 16-bit since in the gimp you've reduced your image information to 8-bit. Tiff might be worth a try. :o

TIFF, so i can save the file as TIFF in UFraw ?

No, just tried that ... hangs....

I'm starting to think ufraw on vista64 is the prob alright, I'm on ubuntu linux so it all works ok.

gloobag wrote: »
    The latest versions of Adobe Camera RAW (which is part of CS4) and Lightroom 2 will.

I just installed CS4, it can't open my .cr2 files ?

and it is the 64 bit version ?

thats annoying i just checked the installed components and it has camera raw 5,
    and according to this : http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

the 5dmk2 is supported ... >:( !!!!

So is there ANY other way i can read / edit RAW files other then CS4/Lightroom , or UFRaw ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

So is there ANY other way i can read / edit RAW files other then CS4/Lightroom , or UFRaw ??

Going back to the start, right click on the set-up icon>prop>mode Xp SP2 try installing it that way or if it installs ok right click on the desktop icon and again run as XpSP2.

Adobe Bridge comes with PS-CS4

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/bridge/
    http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/bridge/features/

There is x64bit PS icon in the main folder where you installed PS, this will run PS in 64bit, since I changed to that I have yet to have PS crash on me. (touch/rub/lick/fondle wood!!!)

Right !!

Very happy now, I dl'ed the Adobe DNG and now this can convert the .CR2 files, so i can edit them in CS4.

DNG conversion doesn't lose any quality does it ? they are a little smaller then the .cr2 files ... not much 22mb v 24mb or so ....

Cheers

Also, seems DNG is a stand alone app, and not a plug in for PS ...

You're laughing DNG retains all raw image data, zero loss. It's based on TIFF and extends that standard (ISO 12234).

Canons proprietary CR2 format file containes a full size jpg 'preview' but dng uses a smaller one, this may explain the smaller size. DNG is a better archive format being open, you'll have no problem opening these files with an app in 20 years time or beyond, can't be so sure about CR2 or other come day go day locked down formats...

YEs, it is the dogs boll*x all right !!!

excellent tool....

still think it was a stupid move from Canon not to support 64 bit OS ...

most of their users (5D MKII) who are using 1080p video a lot have machines with 6,8, 12 gb of ram ... these need 64 bit OS !!!

Canon don't even PLAN to have support for 64 bit OS ...

stupid ..

• Advertisement

Amen, eg it seems a no-brainer that making api's available is a big win, anyone with a Canon Powershot can use CHDK firmware from the community to extend their cameras functionality.

I hope it's ignorance on Canons part that they don't embrace the oppertunity, because otherwise they're paraniod and/or vested in obsolescence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

YEs, it is the dogs boll*x all right !!!

excellent tool....

still think it was a stupid move from Canon not to support 64 bit OS ...

most of their users (5D MKII) who are using 1080p video a lot have machines with 6,8, 12 gb of ram ... these need 64 bit OS !!!

Canon don't even PLAN to have support for 64 bit OS ...

stupid ..

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4578

In photoshop, go to the help menu and click update, the rest should be self explanatory. You don't need the DNG converter. You're probably using an older version Camera RAW.

I have a 5DmkII myself and use Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom on a 64bit machine everyday without any problem.

SH*T .... it doesn't work anymore ... OK I'll be honest... It's not a legit version ... now i know we can't discuss this, but at this stage i don't care, im willing to buy CS4 , is there special student packs available ?

I see on amazon cheapest one is about 500 sterling !! a bit steep ...

I spent most of my savings on the mk ii ... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

AFAIK you need to proove your a student for this , of course this won't matter if you are a student .... or will Amazon even care ??

Advertisement