Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could somone explain metering modes to me

• 21-09-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

metering modes are the only thing on an SLR camera that I just can't get my head around. Could anyone out there, please explain it to me in the simplest way and maybe why I would want to choose 1 metering mode over another.

thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I'll try, anyway. There are usually (I think) 3 metering modes - spot, centre-weighted, or matrix.

Spot - the camera meters light at a spot, usually the centre of the frame, and sets settings to best expose that spot.

Centre-weighted - the camera meters the whole scene, but gives more importance to the centre of the scene than the rest of the frame in deciding what settings to use (eg a group of people against a background)

Matrix/evaluative - the camera breaks out the bells and whistles. It meters from points in the whole scene, and using it's own software or electronic brain, decides on how to best expose the scene, trying to balance exposure on an overall basis.

Two things -
    I hope I was right and I hope it helped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

thanks. That does explain it very well to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Prenderb wrote: »
    I'll try, anyway. There are usually (I think) 3 metering modes - spot, centre-weighted, or matrix.

Spot - the camera meters light at a spot, usually the centre of the frame, and sets settings to best expose that spot.

Centre-weighted - the camera meters the whole scene, but gives more importance to the centre of the scene than the rest of the frame in deciding what settings to use (eg a group of people against a background)

Matrix/evaluative - the camera breaks out the bells and whistles. It meters from points in the whole scene, and using it's own software or electronic brain, decides on how to best expose the scene, trying to balance exposure on an overall basis.

Two things -
    I hope I was right and I hope it helped!

nutshell - postified

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

One thing to remember with Metering is that ussually a camera will assume the world as it sees it is 12% Grey ( I thought it was 18% before I came across this article just now)

This Camera view of the world can throw things out if you are shooting a scene which is darker or lighter. A classic example is when shooting in the Snow. It can really confuse a Meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

CabanSail wrote: »
    One thing to remember with Metering is that ussually a camera will assume the world as it sees it is 12% Grey ( I thought it was 18% before I came across this article just now)

This Camera view of the world can throw things out if you are shooting a scene which is darker or lighter. A classic example is when shooting in the Snow. It can really confuse a Meter.
    Not a problem in the digital age of photoshop. A problem if shooting film, though.

What metering settings do people use?

I got annoyed with Evaluative Metering on my Canon and made the switch to centre-weighted years ago. I've a 400D so no spot unfortunately, but I find the control and exposure I usually get quite satisfactory. I usually use the central focusing spot, too, instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

If you learn how to meter off, your exposure will be very well balanced.

This explains it:

http://super.nova.org/DPR/Canon/Exposure/

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread1859.htm

I started off with a film camera and the very physical training of taking a reading from a darker object and then (while holding the button in that position) moving the camera until the exact composition is achieved gives a very pleasing balance. Since digital seems more sensitive, the effects do not seem so very different to my eye, but perhaps this is something I could work on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Does anyone have a 3 photographs of the same thing taken using the 3 different modes so we could physically see the differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

No!!!

Having learned from pixel peepers and obsessive compulsive snappers I take just one photo and (if I'm really unsure) a second one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a 3 photographs of the same thing taken using the 3 different modes so we could physically see the differences?

different scenes would give different results though. If you're taking a picture of the moon... its very bright againt a black sky. If you use spot metering centered on the moon, you should get the moon exposed properly and see its details. If you meter the full frame the average light in the scene will be quite dark and the moon will be overexposed, white circle with no detail

heres another example, sort of the reverse, dark subject(horse) in white scene
    http://blog.cameracard.ca/index.php/2009/08/28/understanding-exposure-metering-modes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

This link may help you http://www.weerfotografie.com/techniques.php?cat=general&page=metering

Honestly I am not fussed about metering, I shoot everything manually and just use my eye to tell me which I think is best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

potlatch wrote: »
    Not a problem in the digital age of photoshop. A problem if shooting film, though.

if you overexpose and blow the highlights you wont see any detail in the snow, just a big patch of white.

film actually has a higher tollerance for overexposure than digital

Im just about to buy a canon 5d but I think it doesnt have the same metering mode on my 1d, instead of just a centre spot you can choose between 11 autofocus points and use one or a combination of them for metering.

I started using it for music photography, works very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

also, exposure compensation

check the lcd screen for blown highlights, should flash on the screen in the photo, then adjust and shoot again.

Advertisement