Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House + Cash for Trade up

Options
  • 21-09-2009 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

I have been trying to sell my house to move somewhere a bit bigger. A developer has offered to buy my house off me in part exchange for a new house I'm interested in. He's offering the market value (now a lot less than when I started to try and sell it) for my house and a reasonable, but not low, price for the new house. He's keen not to bargain on cash top up but said he'd be open to doing some additional work in the house to sweeten the deal. Anybody know of any pitfalls to this ?

Tipper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i dont know of any specific pitfalls here but id be very wary of dealing with any developer in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Developers are not in the charity business. He must have some sort of agenda. How would you compare your current house with the one on offer in terms of size, location, condition etc.?

You haven't given us too much info but it sounds a little bit suspect. Can you see any underhand reason he'd be interested in your property (potential to redevelop, future zoning approvals etc.)?

Of course he's not keen to bargain. You should bargain though! But definitely investigate his motives more first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Despite it being a 'house swap'- there are still the stamp duty implications to be dealt with. Previously you could simply offset one against the other- this was done away with in the last budget though. Figure out the stamp duty and get him to cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Which developer is this?

And anyone know of any other developers doing these types of deals.

Specifically in the Cork area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Eglinton wrote: »
    You haven't given us too much info but it sounds a little bit suspect. Can you see any underhand reason he'd be interested in your property (potential to redevelop, future zoning approvals etc.)?

None of these are underhanded. If the developer can realise potential from the deal then good for him.

It still sounds a bit odd but if he reckons he can add value then it makes sense for him. Getting market rate for your property easily is a good offer. Once it is all done legally then you have nothing to worry about.

He may just add an extension to your house and sell it for more but what he can make money at isn't as easy for others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement