Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powers and Black Bush - Best Irish whiskeys ?

• 22-09-2009 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

25c1b51e69b04c136bdd54e7d7a80e0d.jpg9893ca8f5e6c75c1265d8e8611b34ba8_thumb.jpg

It's a general Irish whiksey thread but ye know, what's the best ? I've gotta think Powers and Black Bush. Powers' regular bottle goes for cheaper than Jameson and is far superior in taste. The Powers 12 yrs is much better than the Jameson brands.

The Black Bush is just amazing for a blend that's so widley available. Bushmills must either reduce their prices so much to compete heavily with the Pernod Ricard crowd - Bushmills Single Malr 10 year is €35!. Jameson Crested 10 is up to about €30.

Are these not the two best Irish whikseys when you take into account the price of them ? Even in a bar you should get both for well under a fiver and if it's a good bar they'll have the Powers 12 years for a fiver a measure or so.

With Powers you get so much "pot still" in your bottle that's it's just full of flavour. And with Black Bush it's equally full of a lot of flavour - slightly sweet as well.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

They're both great value. Black Bush is something like 70% or 80% malt too, which makes it a pretty unique blend.

I'd say the Jameson 12 is also great value - an excellent whiskey.

Redbreast 12 was the winner, for me, but it went from 35 euro to 45 euro over night. And Redbreast 15 used to be 55 euro per bottle in Germany.

For the non age statement stuff, Powers is my favourite. Or maybe Green Spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

I'd agree 100% with Black Bush - its my standard whiskey, best value around. Its the non-special occasion, happy on a Tuesday evening, sits into a hipflask whiskey that has remarkable complexity for the price.

For an occasion though its usually Glenkinchie or a good bourbon (woodford reserve/basil haydens).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I also think they're both great whiskies - my old man drink blackbush as his regular and I have to admit I like it too but daily would prefer powers.

It's a shame that both aren't that available in European duty frees - it's mainly Jameson and funnily enough the bushmills 10yr old malt . Mind you 2L of Jameson for €28 euro makes it my most common tipple :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

The new Irishman 70 isn't bad. I don't know how much it costs, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Kenco doesnt really drink whiskey any more :( but back in the day you could not beat black bush with a big stick and in my humble opinion it rocked over Jemme (though that too did have its moments)

And dont get me started on Highland Park and JD...

• Advertisement

If you like powers, it will be on offer in dunnes this thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Yup Powers will forever be in my cupboard but .. no mention of Cooleys offerings ? I think The Tyrconnell is a nice complex malt whiskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

If you like powers, it will be on offer in dunnes this thursday.
    You're right! 20quid for a bottle of 700ml Gold Label :D
    Yup Powers will forever be in my cupboard but .. no mention of Cooleys offerings ? I think The Tyrconnell is a nice complex malt whiskey

I was just specifically refering to their availability, popularity and price. The Tyrconnell is a nice malt. Shame it's neither likely to be on special or widely available.

Advertisement