Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ros na Run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I watched the last two episodes.
    I have a theory the way the Dee/Mack/Kathy thing will play out.
    They find out about Dee's manipulation and/or Dee loses the babaí
    Kathy and Mack end up shacking up.
    Dee and Fiach end up shacking up after Dee becomes a pariah.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

I watched the last two episodes.
    I have a theory the way the Dee/Mack/Kathy thing will play out.
    They find out about Dee's manipulation and/or Dee loses the babaí
    Kathy and Mack end up shacking up.
    Dee and Fiach end up shacking up after Dee becomes a pariah.

I wish they would find out about it. It's gone on far too long. Poor Katy :(

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    I wish they would find out about it. It's gone on far too long. Poor Katy :(

It has dragged a bit alright.
    But (Dee) Máirín de Buitléir must be having great fun playing the story-line all those faces/looks she has to make in between all the double talking.

But after all is said and done my highlight of the recent episodes is Coli Jackie switching the 20€ to a fiver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Coli Jackie is a great character all right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I really hope Dee doesn't lose the baby it's such a bloody cliche in soaps where's some family agro or an affair especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I'v been trying to learn irish and watching this soap and find it strange that how much it is off with what I'm learning.

What is that about.?

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I'v been trying to learn irish and watching this soap and find it strange that how much it is off with what I'm learning.

What is that about.?

The same. I think Irish in textbooks is very old style formal like "cheerio old boy" English

Not sure about the apps

Where as in Ros Na Run they are speaking normally including all the current slang words, etc

Not only that but I've noticed as well the direction translation to English subtitles is different to what you'd see in an app/text book can't remember exactly lately but Katy addressed Dee and Mac and the English translation was "you guys" a real American translation nearly made me vomit

What is that about.?

You are getting three different dialects as well as the slang - Donegal Irish (Kathy/Dee/John Joe)
    Munster Irish - (David who's character is from Kerry)
    Galway/Connaught Irish most of the rest of the cast.

I watch it online with the Irish subtitles on to help to get the phrases/words correct. I keep a list on excel.
    There is a lot of different use of idioms to English.

Example:
    'Tá cloch sa mhuinchille aige' - literally 'he has a stone in his sleeve' - meaning he has a grudge.

This dictionary is a great online dictionary

https://www.focloir.ie/

I recommend that you stick to the one dialect to avoid getting confused when learning how to say words/phrases Connaught/Munster Irish are probably the easier of the three choices.

A lot of people I know learning Irish enjoy using the Duolingo app.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2016/1125/834370-duolingo-language-learning-app-irish/

Keep going anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I used to watch it with the subtitles on. Now I can understand most of it without them. It's a bit tricky for the Donegal Irish.

I watched this earlier and no subtles but on now with them.?

It can't be my TV box.

• Advertisement

The subtitles aren't on as standard during the 8pm showing but are automatically on screen for the repeat around 11pm

I wonder who BNG is... I'd say Coilli Jackie might have lost a child in the past judging by his reaction when Michelle told him about David and Grainne losing their baby.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dee made that booking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

branie2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Dee made that booking

She must have, the smug look on her face but she must have got someone else to make the call, surely Katy would have recognised her voice.

And as for tonight :O I can't do spoiler tags on my phone so I'll just say I thought first it was a con artist pretending to be someone else

Wasn't he dumped into the river in a body bag??

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Wasn't he dumped into the river in a body bag??

He was

branie2 wrote: »
    He was

How are they going to explain that one...??

Maybe he found a way out of the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I don't think I like these story lines this season.
    The Dee/Katy/Mack one is being dragged out to an inch of it's life.
    And it seems like they've realised that nothing exciting is happening so they've brought someone back who was dead and thrown in to a river.

julyjane wrote: »
    She must have, the smug look on her face but she must have got someone else to make the call, surely Katy would have recognised her voice.
    I thought in another episode she pretended to be another person and used the same fake name.
    I think she slipped up because she told Mack that she knew the person and named them.
    It seems that they are going to drag it out even more until Mack twigs the name thing?
    Or maybe I am reading too much into it?

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested here is the very first episode from back in 1996.
    It is up on youtube.

There is a lot more English used in it. In fact And they are switching back and forth, between Irish and English.
    In fact the young Jason character up from Dublin refuses to speak a word of Irish.

To me the switching backwards and forwards between English and Irish seems more natural as that is the way they do it in the Gaeltacht.

Well as gaeilge.?

If anyone is interested here is the very first episode from back in 1996.
    It is up on youtube.

There is a lot more English used in it. In fact And they are switching back and forth, between Irish and English.
    In fact the young Jason character up from Dublin refuses to speak a word of Irish.

To me the switching backwards and forwards between English and Irish seems more natural as that is the way they do it in the Gaeltacht.

If It's ment to be in irish then I would like if they sentence didn't start with well and such like.

If they speak like that in the Gaeltacht then how can they call them selves irish speakers.

If It's ment to be in irish then I would like if they sentence didn't start with well and such like.

If they speak like that in the Gaeltacht then how can they call them selves irish speakers.

I would say the opposite it is natural for them to have the two languages and they switch between them.
    In contrast to the fluent speakers like myself who find it extremely difficult to switch between Irish and English.
    The fluent speakers think in Irish first that is the major difference.
    The English words become loan words like in Connemara you rarely hear 'Tá brón orm' - Instead it is 'Tá sorry orm'.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I would say the opposite it is natural for them to have the two languages and they switch between them.
    In contrast to the fluent speakers like myself who find it extremely difficult to switch between Irish and English.
    The English words become loan words like in Connemara you rarely here 'Tá brón orm' - Instead it is 'Tá sorry orm'.

As a fluent speaker I would completely agree with this. Flowing in and out of the two languages like it's the same language is completely natural to me.

Can we see the following episodes anywhere? I used to enjoy watching the earlier series on TG4 during the summer.

I wonder if we'll see more of Andy

Ooooooh what were Jude and Bobbi Lee talking about...

The English words become loan words like in Connemara you rarely hear 'Tá brón orm' - Instead it is 'Tá sorry orm'.

No wonder I can't understand this as it two languages.

Ta bron orm I know but ta sorry orm would be lost on me as a learner listening to a show.

• Advertisement

Why ta sorry orm rather than ta bron orm?

Advertisement