Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ros na Run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

If what I expect to hear is irish and english is included then its not Irish

Sorry to pick a things but its weird to have Irish program that's using English.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Why ta sorry orm rather than ta bron orm?

It is just the way the they mix the two languages as the other poster said they are fluent in both languages so it is second nature.
    It is why there are many 'loan words' from Old Norse today in the English language for example:

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/139-norse-words

There are also Old Norse words that have entered the Irish language:

http://irisharchaeology.ie/2013/11/some-irish-words-with-norse-origins/

http://www.viking.no/e/ireland/ela-ireland.htm

It is just the way language is. It evolves over time from other influences.
    If you look at it the other way even the British and American's are now aware what the word 'craic'. To the extent that the British have started using the word.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/craic

Apparently the use of the word 'craic' (in it's Irish sense) started in the English language started in the 1970's:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/craic

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Ooooooh what were Jude and Bobbi Lee talking about...

My guess would be that she told Jude not to mention the fact that she saw Andy?

Well as gaeilge.?

Do you mean 'bhuel' by any chance?

https://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/hey#hey__4

That is used as 'hey!/alright?' or it can also be used as an 'ah sure' type of thing.
    You should put on the subtitles in Irish through the internet and it will give you a better idea of what they are saying (after you watch the same bit with English subtitles)

I'm starting to understand more of what they say now without even thinking. I could be doing something while the show is on and hear the words I know and understand it.

I think there was one show where three people said "I am sorry" two said ta bron orm (one the older lady outside the church when Jude was missing) and one said ta sorry orm.

Don't mean to be picky and it's better than Eastenders. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

I wonder are they going to drag the Dee storyline out until the series finale again this year

Some evening shows have subtles and some don't.
    But it seems all the night shows do.

Just for anyone wants to watch or record it with subtles.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I wonder are they going to drag the Dee storyline out until the series finale again this year

The might even drag it out until next years finale ;)

Anyone have any ideas on what Vince's niece is up to? Is she a thief with a compulsive lying thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think Michelle is OK

branie2 wrote: »
    I think Michelle is OK

She's a good character. I don't think she won the lotto though. Wouldn't Vince know about that?

• Advertisement

He would have said so if she had won

Areas wrote: »
    The might even drag it out until next years finale ;)

Anyone have any ideas on what Vince's niece is up to? Is she a thief with a compulsive lying thing?

There was a bit here where TG4 speak to the actress who plays Michelle (Grainne Beasdale)

She describes Grainne's character as big hearted (croi mór), but innocent (soineanta).

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭An Sionnach Glic

Seems the official channel of the show on YouTube is gradually putting up all of series 1 at the moment and may do the same for the others if the demand is there (see comments on the first episode).

https://www.youtube.com/user/rosnarun96

I challenge anyone not to laugh at this humourous Tony compilation TG4 did.

Seems the official channel of the show on YouTube is gradually putting up all of series 1 at the moment and may do the same for the others if the demand is there (see comments on the first episode).

https://www.youtube.com/user/rosnarun96

Thanks for that.
    It's with subtitles so it's good for me as an Irish learner.

Maybe I was wrong about Michelle. Maybe she did win the lotto and she's just generous.
    I have to say I liked the most recent episode with the Andy backstory with Bernie in Aran and seeing Andy robbing Laoise, and Bobbi Lee's story about her son. It was all very sad.
    But.....how is Andy still alive?

Maybe I was wrong about Michelle. Maybe she did win the lotto and she's just generous.
    I have to say I liked the most recent episode with the Andy backstory with Bernie in Aran and seeing Andy robbing Laoise, and Bobbi Lee's story about her son. It was all very sad.
    But.....how is Andy still alive?

It was a decent story-line alright. Had to do a far bit of suspension of disbelief when Jude's memory returned 100% all of a sudden for that scene with Bobbi Lee. Plus Andy knocking Laoise out with a little trowel with one hit....

I thought he was going to try and stab her with the trowel, it's a strange weapon of choice...surely they'd have a spade or something up at the polhytunnels?

I thought he was going to try and stab her with the trowel, it's a strange weapon of choice...surely they'd have a spade or something up at the polhytunnels?

Exactly I started laughing when he picked up the trowel.
    A spade would have been far more convincing.

I really hope Mack and Katy find out how evil Dee is soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I just want dee to have the baby already this has been the longest pregnancy ever

The acting by Brídín Ní Mhaoldomhnaigh (Kathy) acting drugged up was well done. She had to change her usual characters personality and expressions.

Máirín de Buitléir (Dee) is playing a stormer as well.

Those two must be really enjoying the storyline, but for the viewers it is really dragging now.
    How many more seasons of it?

Also how can 'Andy' wander around the small village of Ros na Run without anyone spotting him?
    He can casually wander up to the pier any time he likes and sit on the beach, he can even go back to the poly-tunnel. No one spots him, or even nearly spots him

julyjane wrote: »
    I just want dee to have the baby already this has been the longest pregnancy ever

I think she does next week.

Very unrealistic birth scene :D

Fair play to Coli Jackie for helping Dee

She had the bump too high on her body for any pregnancy and then gave birth to a baby wrapped in purple cloth. :)

I am just wondering if the baby is going to be called Collí or Betsey? :D
    It may have been unrealistic but it was gas.

Cleverly tied in another layer of 'did Coli lose a baby? - initials on the tree' storyline - aswell.

She had the bump too high on her body for any pregnancy and then gave birth to a baby wrapped in purple cloth. :)

With no umbilical cord or placenta :D

Oh look, here's a baby I found on the ground :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

well I take back everything I said, I was convinced for the past 12 months that she was faking the pregnancy. I was really tired last night and fell asleep without watching but I wonder what will happen now that she's not as available to keep up her gaslighting campaign against Katy.

Advertisement