Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ros na Run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

maureencol wrote: »
    "Just to let people know RnR TG4 have put up the first of season 3 of RnR 1999."

Do they only have Episodes 1 and 2 up? I can't seem to find episode 3.

They only have episode 2 recently. I assume episode 3 will be up the following week.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

They only have episode 2 recently. I assume episode 3 will be up the following week.

I've just started watching Season 3. Poor Angela. Tadgh is some a*****e. Does Angela know that Tadgh knows it's not his baby? I can't remember. I know Tadgh did find out. I really enjoy the old episodes.

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    I've just started watching Season 3. Poor Angela. Tadgh is some a*****e. Does Angela know that Tadgh knows it's not his baby? I can't remember. I know Tadgh did find out. I really enjoy the old episodes.

I don't think she does.Tadgh says things to watch Angela's reaction, while he is seething silently. At this stage I think he put two and two together and even had gone to a doctor for confirmation that he was infertile/fertile.

Plus Jason had attacked him in the previous season, and is throwing him daggers everytime he sees him.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭maureencol

Thanks!!!

One of the highlight episodes at the end of this year I think. It was non stop plenty of 'go' in it.
    Nice flow is it gluais?

Bit I liked the most of it is Aíne acted liked the sensible adult with Peatsaí and Sally. Plus she talked sense into Tadhg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I loved that episode, the pacing was great, and the juxtaposition and how all the stories crossed paths was brilliantly done.

Episodes 3 and 4 of season 3 are up since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think Julian is very possessive of Dan

branie2 wrote: »
    I think Julian is very possessive of Dan

Thing I learnt the most from that storyline is changing someone's phone number to my own and forwarding calls. If I had known that trick years ago I could of had great craic!

This is a thing TG4 RnR did for Seachtain Na Gaeilge

People will relate to it who watch the subtitles in Irish and English, keep pausing it and make lists!

A RnR fan from Boston USA (Máirín) learns from watching RnR

Another fella called (Niall from Clontarf) who improved his Irish from RnR

A fella from North Carolina USA (Rich) also enjoys RnR

He also happens to write the RnR recaps blog

http://www.rosnarunrecaps.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭phildenny

How do you get the Irish subtitles.

phildenny wrote: »

Oh you can do it through your laptop/internet device.
    Go to the TG4 website and click on an episode on the player.

You will see an option to change subtitles from Irish to English or no subtitles if you prefer (near the right corner beside the expand screen button).

gIIzbJ2.jpg

The option you pick goes purple - GA for Gaeilge in the screenshot above.

Subtitles can be changed when the episode is playing, or when it is stopped,

What I do is cast the laptop to my telly, and watch it with Irish subtitles.

However, I noticed Irish subtitles are not put up until about a day, after it has been aired on TG4.

I might go back over it again later if there are phrases or bits I found interesting.
    Similar to the way those RnR watchers do in the above video.

Plus, I have an excel sheet of words and phrases, I make note of the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭phildenny

Oh you can do it through your laptop/internet device.
    Go to the TG4 website and click on an episode on the player.

You will see an option to change subtitles from Irish to English or no subtitles if you prefer (near the right corner beside the expand screen button).

gIIzbJ2.jpg

The option you pick goes purple - GA for Gaeilge in the screenshot above.

Subtitles can be changed when the episode is playing, or when it is stopped,

What I do is cast the laptop to my telly, and watch it with Irish subtitles.

However, I noticed Irish subtitles are not put up until about a day, after it has been aired on TG4.

I might go back over it again later if there are phrases or bits I found interesting.
    Similar to the way those RnR watchers do in the above video.

Plus, I have an excel sheet of words and phrases, I make note of the odd time.

Grma

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

phildenny wrote: »

For Youtube, I can't get them on iOS but they work on a laptop /desktop. For TG4, I usually watch on the laptop and they work well there.

I'm really enjoying the old episodes of RnR. I think it's gas the way they are all tucking money into baby Saoirse's clothes. I wonder when Michael will find out he is the dad, and how poor Saoirse dies.

Also I thought Tom and Owen got together at some point but now Owen has gone off to Australia. Maybe that happened already and I missed it. I only started watching from Season 2.

I'm really enjoying the old episodes of RnR. I think it's gas the way they are all tucking money into baby Saoirse's clothes. I wonder when Michael will find out he is the dad, and how poor Saoirse dies.

Also I thought Tom and Owen got together at some point but now Owen has gone off to Australia. Maybe that happened already and I missed it. I only started watching from Season 2.

I don’t seem to remember Tom and Owen’s relationship focus yet or the famous gay kiss so far. They seem to be building up to it.

Edit I think I am wrong yer man and Tom kissed in 1996 apparently according to the net. So that was season 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I have to say I didn't have much sympathy for Briain last night when his injury occurred although I dread to think what revenge he might take

julyjane wrote: »
    I have to say I didn't have much sympathy for Briain last night when his injury occurred although I dread to think what revenge he might take

Ah now it was was painful. Sure he mightn't need the auld snip after that!? :eek:

The old episodes are really good.

I always think it's funny when Jack says something in English and he comes out with a thick British accent. You don't expect it.

Why was Mack so hated back then?

The old episodes are really good.

I always think it's funny when Jack says something in English and he comes out with a thick British accent. You don't expect it.

Why was Mack so hated back then?

Always makes me laugh. Diarmuid de Faoite must of had to really concentrate, when he put on that English accent each time he spoke i mBéarla. Really added to the realism for the character. Plus many characters spoke lines of English here and there. Far more realistic as that is what they do in Gaeltacht.

I remember Des Bishop saying that they did not use the word 'rothar' for bike. It was mo mbicycle. And 'anraith' was not soup. It was simply soup.

In my opinion, the show has lost something by using all Irish where possible.

The comedy and little subtleties seemed to be better back in the old shows.
    Like the interactions between the brothers Collie and Séamus, were top quality comedy value. Fond of each other but annoying each other at the same time.

Mack was hated because he stalked Ali became infatuated with her broke in a number of times (made a key for the lock he put in) and overdosed on pills. Also he was hanging around drinking and generally causing trouble. Constantly having to be bailed out by his Garda father.
    Mack's character was a lost one. Having his mother died when he was young and went wild.

The fella who acts as Mack (Pól Ó Gríofa) has questioned in the past whether a character would change that much. Plus seemed to imply that the character is not as much fun to play.

• Advertisement

Always makes me laugh. Diarmuid de Faoite must of had to really concentrate, when he put on that English accent each time he spoke i mBéarla. Really added to the realism for the character. Plus many characters spoke lines of English here and there. Far more realistic as that is what they do in Gaeltacht.

I remember Des Bishop saying that they did not use the word 'rothar' for bike. It was mo mbicycle. And 'anraith' was not soup. It was simply soup.

In my opinion, the show has lost something by using all Irish where possible.

The comedy and little subtleties seemed to be better back in the old shows.
    Like the interactions between the brothers Collie and Séamus, were top quality comedy value. Fond of each other but annoying each other at the same time.

Mack was hated because he stalked Ali became infatuated with her broke in a number of times (made a key for the lock he put in) and overdosed on pills. Also he was hanging around drinking and generally causing trouble. Constantly having to be bailed out by his Garda father.
    Mack's character was a lost one. Having his mother died when he was young and went wild.

The fella who acts as Mack (Pól Ó Gríofa) has questioned in the past whether a character would change that much. Plus seemed to imply that the character is not as much fun to play.

Thanks for that gormdubhgorm. Your knowledge of RnR is very impressive!

Thanks for that gormdubhgorm. Your knowledge of RnR is very impressive!

Ah plenty of youtube watching!

I wouldn't really know much of what happened for about a gap of about 15 years to be honest. Where I would not have been a regular watcher.

I find the Ros Na Rún youtube channel great. Plenty of stuff on it. Plus there is the odd ramdomer that puts up the odd RnR episode.

Poor Niall this evening!

Is anyone else having issues with their subtitles lately?

Nope, was fine for me.

The last episode was good one plenty of emotion in it with the various storylines. When I heard any Dan might have to leave RnR.
    I thought who will Maire make cupcakes with now?

There better be a big showdown at dawn between Andy and Niall. Because I would be disappointed if there is not after this build up.

Nope, was fine for me.

The last episode was good one plenty of emotion in it with the various storylines. When I heard any Dan might have to leave RnR.
    I thought who will Maire make cupcakes with now?

There better be a big showdown at dawn between Andy and Niall. Because I would be disappointed if there is not after this build up.

For me, sometimes the subtitles come up for just a split second and are then gone before you can even read them. It's more annoying than anything. I can still understand most of what they're saying except for the Donegalers!

I agree, brilliant episode last night. Really enjoying RnR at the moment!

I am; they really should be fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

The odd sentence gets displayed for only a fraction of a second - impossible to read. But it only happens once or twice per episode from what I remember. I wonder if it's because the wrong times were entered for that text to begin and end because that's how it works with subtitle files for movies (.srt).

You would certainly not get the equivalent of 'cacamas' said in Fair City, Eastenders, or Coronation Street!

• Advertisement

I tried a new trick to try and improve my Irish comprehension. I listen to RnR while at the PC and watch it again later.
    Surprisingly it works well as it forces me to really listen, and pay attention.

I watch it again later on particularly if there was the odd word I want to check up on. Irish subtitles.

I was also surprised how believable and genuine the characters sounded. A far cry from a lot of soaps where they over act and over do the amateur dramatics. The gas thing is that in those soaps they are probably better paid!

Advertisement