Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A "locked down" version of windows

• 22-09-2009 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm about to leave the country for a bit, and have a lovely desktop pc that my family want me to give to them.

Thing is, they (my brother in particular) have this nasty habit of literally destroying any windows install in a matter of weeks. We're talking icons everywhere, desktop looking like hell-on-earth, a million programmes open at once, and they are physically abusive to the machine too.

I would love to be able to modify an install of windows to give them access to internet and other minor programme, not allow saving to desktop, and generally only allow them save items in one location, not allow them actually INSTALL anything, and basically keep the pc in OK order for when I return.

Now, you might say, shure just let em at it, and reformat when come back, but they have a habit of making a machine almost unusable by putting such sh.t on it and then'll they'll start cribbing at me for the pc running slowly again.

So is there a useful simple tool for locking down a version of windows to give them bare minimum access - in fairness they'll need to be able to save word docs, and watch dvd's, skype, and browse net - but not too much else.

Any help considered...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What about using a mandatory profile with no admin access? Anything they change will be reverted on log out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Give them a Linux distro.

Downloaded exes won't intall, they need an admin password for the package manager so they won't be able to install anything new. They will be safe from partically all viruses.

But they can still watch DVDs, save docs with open office, use the linux version of Skype etc.

PCOsLinux, Ubuntu or Mint should be easy enough for them to use.

btw this isn't a "Linux is l33t and Windows sux" type post, it's just they won't have the ability to **** linux up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭mikewest

Microsoft steady state
    Its free and can do all you want, otherwise you need to play with profiles and privilages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If they have physical access to the machine anything is possible ;)

Ubuntu boot from a USB key or CD and disable HDD in BIOS / disconnect it.
    use the netbookremix on a 1GB key to give them idiot proff navigation.
    don't forget that with linux they could still screw up the drive :pac:

or in windows setup the Guest user, change the username first though , this should restrict a lot but not all.

alternatively look up KIOSK mode , so when they logon they only get access to a browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

mikewest wrote: »
    Microsoft steady state
    Its free and can do all you want, otherwise you need to play with profiles and privilages.

Well this seems brilliant.
    Thanks for this and everyone else for the tips.

I'll let you know how I get on with this, and may try some of the other options if it doesn't seem to fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mikewest wrote: »
    Microsoft steady state
    looks sweet. ill have to try this next time im fixing the cousins pc. ****ing monsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Super little program.
    Obviously not hugely powerful, but will do the job.

Just a little useful tip is:
    After you’ve created the account, SteadyState takes you directly to the User Settings area and by default applies the high security configuration on the Windows Restrictions and the Features Restrictions tabs. In order to configure your new profile, you should temporarily turn these restrictions off. Click on the Windows Restrictions tab and then choose “No restrictions”. Click OK when you see the warning window. Click on the Features tab and then choose No restrictions. Click OK when you see the warning window.

Log out of your administrative profile, and log into the patron profile you just created. Configure the look and feel of the desktop by adding or removing program shortcuts and changing the background.
    We recommend that all your accounts have a different background color or image so that you can see at a glance whether your patrons are logged into the appropriate profile.

taken from
    http://www.webjunction.org/home/-/articles/content/450500
    (although this guide is for a slightly older version)

Also play about with it a bit.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Linux distro that can boot off a cd and give a non persistent environment
    with all the essentials should do the trick.

Advertisement