Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu

Options
  • 22-09-2009 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

I heard about a child in St. Lukes with swime flu. I know the school has not informed the other parents. i would be more comfortable with the being informed. I know they say the majority of people do not need secial care but even so people should be told.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

femur61 wrote: »
    I heard about a child in St. Lukes with swime flu. I know the school has not informed the other parents. i would be more comfortable with the being informed. I know they say the majority of people do not need secial care but even so people should be told.

People have been told, there is tones of information after being given out, just look online or at your local doctors office, health worker or any council/government building. Schools have been given tones of information and starting a panic cus there's a rumor going around about some child in hospital is not going to be helpful to anyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

This sort of post is why they haven't told other parents, it kills one in every thousand people who contract it and only forty in every thousand need to be hospitalised. I was in a Topaz the other day and I saw a bottle of anti-swine flu stuff, it's just detol with a bumped up price. People are taken in by these scares far too easily. Mad cow was serious, this isn't.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

starting a panic cus there's a rumor going around about some child in hospital is not going to be helpful to anyone.[/quote]

Its not a rumour its 100% true, I was informed by the from the parents, I just think people whould be informed since children are the most at risk. I have never known a child to e hospitalized with flu.

Its not a rumour its 100% true, I was informed by the from the parents, I just think people whould be informed since children are the most at risk. I have never known a child to e hospitalized with flu.

did the parents also give you a full medical history for their child as well as their family medical history? It's not that uncommon for kids to be hospitalized with flu depending on their own health and if they are consider to be at risk. They might have other health issues you don't know about or there might be a family history that made the doctors feel it was the best course of action to hospitalize the child. Now ask yourself when you heard about this child being in hospital how did you react? Where you calm and rational? Did you speak to your family doctor to get the best most up to date advice on how to reduce the risk of flu to your own children and what signs to look for to know it's not just a common cold, did you ask someone with a medical background why a child might be hospitalized for flu or did you panic and run to an internet message board? That is why the school shouldn't tell people because a person is smart but people are dumb and panic doesn't help anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Normal flu kills more a year than swineflu ever has. Fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Normal flu kills more a year than swineflu ever has. Fact.

There is no such thing as a "normal flu." There are different strains of flu seasonally and year upon year. For instance the most commen strains of flu this year will be:

INFLUENZA A-(H1N1)-Aka Swine Flu
    INFLUENZA A-(H3N2)- Doesnt have a name but is usual named after where and outbreak occurs i.e. Fujian Flu, Hong Kong Flu etc.
    INFLUENZA B4-2006 Florida virus.

jiggajt wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a "normal flu." There are different strains of flu seasonally and year upon year.

By normal flu I think they meant common flu which is an accepted term for the seasonal non-pandemic flu and the most common type of human flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

starting a panic cus there's a rumor going around about some child in hospital is not going to be helpful to anyone.

Its not a rumour its 100% true, I was informed by the from the parents, I just think people whould be informed since children are the most at risk. I have never known a child to e hospitalized with flu.[/QUOTE]

Children get hospitalized every year with seasonal flu, and complications arising from seasonal flu. Announcing every case of every disease would keep the HSE fairly busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Man no disrespect intended but there are so many things wrong with this post that I feel I would be wasting my time attempting to allay your fears. Perhaps you should turn off Sky News and go out and get some fresh air. If that fails then build yourself and underground bunker and wait for a dove to fly into the concrete with an olive branch hanging out of its gob courtesy of Doktor Nick Riviera.

Advertisement