Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Wolves (Carling Cup R3) - Wed 7.45pm SkySp1

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Boggles wrote: »
    Wellbeck is the most higly rated of the youngsters.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    welbeck is definitely the most likely to 'make it' so to speak. so i'd be shocked if he wasn't already in Ferguson's mind. plus he seems to be quite a grounded individual.

macheda, going by reports (i don't have a link, so i don't know how reliable it is. it may have even been mentioned in here), is a bit of a prima-donna whose starting to believe his own hype. he probably needs some of that sh*t beating nani should be getting.

The impression i've gotten, over the summer, is that Kiko is the fourth striker. Also i thought i read on here, from the people with MUTV who watch the reserves, that Wellbeck's finishing isn't as reliable as Macheda's..?
    From what i've seen, last season, Wellbeck seems to be the more developed technically.
    Either way, since Wellbeck plays on the wing as well, they'll probably both start most LC games.

I think you're right about his attitude SlicRic. His national coach said something a while back about it. i can't remember the words but it was pretty harsh for a youth coach to say publicly about a player, so i would take that as a bad sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ferguson as crazy as it sounds, said he could see Wellbeck making the world cup squad.

I don't share Fergusons optimism.

Ferguson as crazy as it sounds, said he could see Wellbeck making the world cup squad.

probably just wants Wellbeck to believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well, if Walcott can make it....:D

Prob just Fergie trying to pump the lad up. It would need a serious turn around for him to be in with any sort of chance - I think last night was his first involvement with the first team this season.

He does have a lot of potential, but he is some way off getting on the plane to South Africa ahead of senior players like Defoe (as a striker) or more winger...y types like Agbonlahor and Young and Joe Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Two years ago ferguson said thay Fletcher would develop into an excellent player , not many shared his optimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pro. F wrote: »
    The impression i've gotten, over the summer, is that Kiko is the fourth striker. Also i thought i read on here, from the people with MUTV who watch the reserves, that Wellbeck's finishing isn't as reliable as Macheda's..?
    From what i've seen, last season, Wellbeck seems to be the more developed technically.
    Either way, since Wellbeck plays on the wing as well, they'll probably both start most LC games.

I think you're right about his attitude SlicRic. His national coach said something a while back about it. i can't remember the words but it was pretty harsh for a youth coach to say publicly about a player, so i would take that as a bad sign.
    With regards to Welbeck and Macheda, I think Welbeck stands a better chance of making it at United as he is a more alround player - he can play on the wing and as a withdrawn attacker, as well as up top, which gives him more chances of getting into the first team. Macheda is a better finisher than him, but Kiko can only really play up front, as a striker. He also needs the players around him to feed him in order to look really good.

Was gutted to see Kiko go off last night so early, would like to have seen what he could do with what was a fairly strong United line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Wellback has no real chance of making the world cup squad unless he's starting for Utd for a good period this season. Which he won't anytime soon imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Wellback has no real chance of making the world cup squad unless he's starting for Utd for a good period this season. Which he won't anytime soon imo.

Exactly. He hasn't a hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I suppose Heskey will be on the flight. So there could hope for him yet. :D

We can only really concentrate on what he has done and that goal last night from Carrick to Owen to Welbeck was world class.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Two years ago ferguson said thay Fletcher would develop into an excellent player , not many shared his optimism.

He hasn't developed into an excellent player yet imo.

Edit: Not that i'm saying he wont't, he still seems to be able to improve every game. But I wouldn't call him exclellent yet.

• Advertisement

Take him out of the United team and you'll soon see how excellent he is, or how less excellent United are without him rather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Trilla wrote: »
    Take him out of the United team and you'll soon see how excellent he is, or how less excellent United are without him rather.
    He's our principle ball winner. A few years ago when Smith, Fletcher and O'Shea were our central midfield I never thought Fletcher could turn into what he is now.

The CL final showed off our lack of ball winner resources.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Trilla wrote: »

Damn right United are relying on him. Absolutely. One of our best in that position. That doesn't make him excellent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

_46431233_welbeck.jpg

:D

Deadly celebration lol

Edit: Not that i'm saying he wont't, he still seems to be able to improve every game. But I wouldn't call him exclellent yet.

good for you, but with respect if you can't see the quality in his play you haven't a clue IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »
    _46431233_welbeck.jpg
    Deadly celebration lol

didn't steal it from anyone, i swear :)

good for you, but with respect if you can't see the quality in his play you haven't a clue IMO.

Fletcher has major technical limitations. If you can't see that then you haven't a clue.
    Essien, Fabregas, Yaya Toure, to name a few are excellent players. Fletcher is nowhere near that level.

i can't believe i'm going to defend fletcher but...

he's been your most in-form player for a while now, and i include rooney in that.

essien's the only one in the Premier League, of a similar ilk, who is playing better right now imo. Fabregas is a completely different type of midfield player.

within a year, fletcher has turned into the most important part of the Utd engine room; so much so that hargreaves should not get in whenever he's fit.

plus he's a good footballer.

utd fans should not take his contribution lightly. you'd be in big trouble relying on an injured hargreaves, out-of-sorts carrick, largely inconsistent (with flashes of brilliance) anderson, or aging scholes.

he is anchoring everything in the centre right now, as much as it pains me to say. :o

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    i can't believe i'm going to defend fletcher but...

he's been your most in-form player for a while now, and i include rooney in that.

essien's the only one in the Premier League, of a similar ilk, who is playing better right now imo. Fabregas is a completely different type of midfield player.

within a year, fletcher has turned into the most important part of the Utd engine room; so much so that hargreaves should not get in whenever he's fit.

plus he's a good footballer.

utd fans should not take his contribution lightly. you'd be in big trouble relying on an injured hargreaves, out-of-sorts carrick, largely inconsistent (with flashes of brilliance) anderson, or aging scholes.

he is anchoring everything in the centre right now, as much as it pains me to say. :o

I agree that United need him a lot right now and he's probably our most important central midfielder at the moment. But that does not make him an excellent player. Our options in that position, as you pointed out, are not good. I believe he could be good enough to hold down a regular starting place in the team, depending on how good his CM partner is, in the long term. But again, that does not make him an excellent player.

No central midfielder can be an excellent player with such a weak first touch as Fletcher has imo. Simple.

Fletcher brings us energy, hard work, courage, goals and defensive cover. You need more than that to be an excellent cm.

I mentioned Fabregas because United fans often point to Fletcher's attacking abilities as being an important part of his game. Which is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Darren Fletcher is an exellent player.

Also, Danny WelBolt rofl.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Also, Danny WelBolt rofl.

Usain Welbeck has a better ring to it :D

Fletcher has major technical limitations. If you can't see that then you haven't a clue.
    Essien, Fabregas, Yaya Toure, to name a few are excellent players. Fletcher is nowhere near that level.

You're nit picking for some reason. I deliberately didn't claim Fletcher was world class, as those you are comparing him with are. I'm not bothered arguing for the sake of arguing about the difference between your definition of excellence and mine.

From the other replies here which I expect would be pretty accurate reflection of the general consensus on this question, it's safe to say that the majority of football fans would class Fletcher as an excellent player.

That is all.

You're nit picking for some reason. I deliberately didn't claim Fletcher was world class, as those you are comparing him with are. I'm not bothered arguing for the sake of arguing about the difference between your definition of excellence and mine.

I didn't mean to nit pick. I know what you mean though, those players are beyond excellent, they weren't great comparisons. Either way i don't think he's an excellent player. I think he's a good, but technically limited, player who can do a job for us and could earn a permanent place in our first team. No more, no less.
    From the other replies here which I expect would be pretty accurate reflection of the general consensus on this question, it's safe to say that the majority of football fans would class Fletcher as an excellent player.

That is all.

Massive assumption there based on a handful of replies.

Anyway, the majorty of football fans have been known to be wrong before.

I didn't mean to nit pick. I know what you mean though, those players are beyond excellent, they weren't great comparisons. Either way i don't think he's an excellent player. I think he's a good, but technically limited, player who can do a job for us and could earn a permanent place in our first team. No more, no less.

Massive assumption there based on a handful of replies.

Anyway, the majorty of football fans have been known to be wrong before.

That's fair enough, everyones entitled to their opinion, I'll agree to differ with you on this one.

• Advertisement

I would rather Fletch in my team than Yaya

Advertisement