Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which reviews do you trust?

• 22-09-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Which reviews do you trust, either on TV, in print or on-line, eg.

Home Cinema Choice
    What Hi Fi
    CNET
    avforum.co.uk reviews
    Gadget Show (Channel 5)
    hdtvtest.co.uk
    trusted reviews
    other...

Personally, I always take What Hi Fi with a grain of salt - I feel they are more influenced by commerical influence than real blind-test results. For TV's, you can't beat hdtvtest.co.uk who buy their own TV's or get supplied by local retailer (not manufacturer).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

I usually browse and post in the various forums to get some idea of a particular piece of equipment. If interested, I'll demo it at home and decide myself if it's "right" for me.

As for the mags, I only read Stereophile and ocassionally HiFi Choice and HiFi+.
    Absolute Sound is not too bad either.

What Hifi's reviews are in general worthless. The mag is useful as a sort of catalogue to see what's new but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Avforums.co.uk is the only one id go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Stopped buying AV mags about 6 years ago. Usually a month or more out of date by time they reach the shelves and bias towards that months' advertiser (some are better than others, in fairness). Why spend 8-9 euro on info that's freely available online?

I second AV Forums (UK/Irl) and AV Science (US) - you can't beat the opinions of fussy people using equipment over an extended time period. Design flaws, glitches or limitations quickly become apparent in the forums.
    Phil Hinton's (avforums) video reviews are top notch.

Engadget for a daily fix of general gadget news

Skim over forums on digitalspy.co.uk the odd time, esp. when Sky or freesat are due an upgrade. The main site is mostly garbage. pvrjunction.co.uk is also handy for this info.

toms hardware for specific computer hardware.

quick glance at amazon.com and .co.uk reviews to see if any major issues are being reported.

Advertisement