Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugababes

Options
  • 22-09-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Keisha Buchanan has quit the Sugababes and will be replaced by Eurovision star Jade Ewen, it has been confirmed.

The 24-year-old, who was the only surviving original member of the band, will remain with Island Records as a solo artist.

The group have been the subject of tabloid speculation after Amelle Berrabah reportedly went missing two weeks ago, with reports claiming that Buchanan had been bullying the singer.

Berrabah has since denied the allegations; however media interest intensified following reports that Ewen had flown over to join the group.

An official statement reads: "The current line-up of the Sugababes has disbanded.

"Heidi Range and Amelle Berrabah will continue as the Sugababes and will be joined by new member Jade Ewen. They release their album Sweet 7 on November 23rd through Island Records.

"Keisha Buchanan will continue to record for Island Records as a solo artist."

Sugababes rose to fame with debut single 'Overload' in 2000. Siobhan Donaghy was the first to leave the group in 2001 and was replaced by former Atomic Kitten singer Heidi Range.

Amelle Berrabah joined the group in December 2005 following the depature of Mutya Buena.

The group have enjoyed 24 Top 40 singles, six albums and greatest hits Overloaded - The Singles Collection.

This band is like musical chairs the amount of departures :rolleyes: Keisha was the only original member left and also the most talented

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

For the last few years or so they would have been the only "girl" band with a few have decent songs imo, and those who have slotted in seem to have done a good job as they are prob bigger now than ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm surprised she got the bullet, everything up until this suggested that it would be Amelle who'd be getting the boot. Ridiculous decision if she was thrown out, her abilities as a singer are head and shoulders above every member, both past and present.
    Keisha Buchanan broke down in tears at a party after being "forced out" of Sugababes last night, a report has claimed.

The 24-year-old's departure from the girlband was announced yesterday evening. Buchanan later told fans that it was not her choice to leave.
    Sugababes's management have confirmed that Heidi Range and Amelle Berrabah will now be joined by Eurovision star Jade Ewen, allowing the group to continue as a trio.

According to the Daily Mail, Buchanan tried to put on a "brave face" at the Red Bull Fashion Factory party in London last night, but soon became upset by recent events. She was then reportedly comforted by Destiny's Child star Michelle Williams and JLS singer Oritsé Williams.

A source said: "Michelle was the first to share words of encouragement. But it all got too much for Keisha, who started to cry in the middle of the party and Oritsé from JLS had to comfort her.

"It was heartbreaking. She felt devastated about what happened and thinks everyone thinks she's a bitch when she did everything she could to make it work between her and Heidi and Amelle."

Buchanan's departure followed rumours of a bust-up with Berrabah, who joined the group as a replacement for Mutya Buena in 2005.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a178599/keisha-seen-crying-over-sugababes-exit.html

I wonder why Oritse was comforting her. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm surprised she got the bullet, everything up until this suggested that it would be Amelle who'd be getting the boot.

I'm guessing either the rumours are true about her being a bullying b*tch, or she was on too high a % of royalties (especially as she wrote a lot of their songs) and wanted more.

Apparently they auditioned for a replacement behind her back, and the new girl re-recorded Keisha's vocals on the new album last week.

I'd love to know the truth. Wouldn't call myself a fan of their music but it's really weird how many line-up changes they've had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

eth0_ wrote: »
    I'm guessing either the rumours are true about her being a bullying b*tch, or she was on too high a % of royalties (especially as she wrote a lot of their songs) and wanted more.

Apparently they auditioned for a replacement behind her back, and the new girl re-recorded Keisha's vocals on the new album last week.

I'd love to know the truth. Wouldn't call myself a fan of their music but it's really weird how many line-up changes they've had!

Ha yeah, they are more of a music brand than a band. They'll never "break up", instead they'll just constantly chop and change.

I've always heard the stories about her being a bully but I don't know, she sang with James Morrison for Comic Relief and he said she was absolutely bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can't have somebody killing the other band members now can we. Heidi is the best BTW :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    she sang with James Morrison for Comic Relief and he said she was absolutely bang on.

Don't know who that is but he's hardly going to come out and say she's a bitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Should be renamed 'Trig's brush'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Photi wrote: »
    Should be renamed 'Trig's brush'.
    lol, as I was reading the thread I was readying myself to make a comment such as this! Quality scene:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

The Sugababes may have cancelled their first live performance together, but Jade Ewen has been quick to squash rumours that it's anything to do with trouble in the group. The girls were lined up to perform at the Scottish Royal Variety Show tomorrow but have dropped out at the last minute. The newest member told The Sun, ‘I haven’t signed a contract so we can’t perform as the Sugababes. The previous line–up signed up to do the show and there’s money involved. Until lawyers get this sorted, I can’t sing with the band.’

Mutya Beuna is begging her former bandmates to reform the original line-up of the Sugababes.

The singer has spent hours on the phone in the past few days, trying to convince Keisha Buchanan and Siobhan Donaghy to reunite with her.

An insider said: "Siobhan met up with Mutya for the first time in ages over the summer and they got on well. Now Mutya is convinced the original three could be huge again.

"She was on the phone all last weekend trying to convince the girls to reform. Siobhan's considering it."

Keisha – who was the last founding member of the girl group to leave last month – is also eager to reconcile with her former friends.

Another source told Britain’s The Sun newspaper: "Mutya is very keen to do this. Keisha has her solo career on the go, but she feels more comfortable as part of a band.

"There were arguments in the past, but all three realise it was because they were young, headstrong and finding fame hard to cope with."

Keisha, Siobhan and Mutya formed the group in 1998. Siobhan was replaced by Heidi Range in 2001 and Amelle Berrabah – who is currently being treated for nervous exhaustion in hospital - took over from Mutya in 2005.

Jade Ewen was given Keisha's spot last month.

The original line-up is now reportedly planning to reform in time for the release of the Sugababes’ new album 'Sweet 7' on November 23.

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

I think amelle is the best
    never hould have of rid of mutya though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As I said here in a non-related thread on immigration policy...
    sceptre wrote: »
    If present trends continue, the Sugababes will be entirely caucasian by 2013. Time will tell if this is a good thing.

Clock's ticking...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

The original lineup reforming would be awesome! Like a huge feck you to the management.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

New member is insanely good looking, it's like, they kick a member out and prelace her with a stunner.

Sugababes have revealed that the original lineup would not legally be allowed to use their name if they decide to reform.
    However, the 'About A Girl' trio claimed that Siobhan Donaghy, Mutya Buena and Keisha Buchanan would still be able to perform songs from One Touch, the only album to include all their vocals.
    "They could still perform them, but they can't use the name because it belongs to our record company who we signed to," Heidi Range told Real Radio.
    "They wouldn't be allowed to use any of the songs except 'Overload', it would be like doing a cover," Amelle Berrabah said.
    Latest recruit Jade Ewen played down reports that the original lineup are planning to reunite and insisted that she is not worried about the competition.
    "Keisha just put on Twitter that she 100% is not reforming, but I think even if they do there is enough room for everyone, we wish them the best of luck," she said.
    "We're not out to look for trouble, we're just getting on with what we're doing and enjoying ourselves," Range added.
    Sugababes recently revealed that they are recording more new material for their upcoming album Sweet 7, which is scheduled for release in March.

Advertisement