Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net emigration returns to Ireland-CSO

Options
  • 22-09-2009 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

The CSO says net emigration has returned to Ireland, in the year to April 65,000 left and 57,000 came here.
    Of the people who left 30,000 were from the EU12, mainly Eastern Euopean, and 18,000 were Irish nationals.

Things will probably get a lot worse before they get better, remember this at the next election.

http://www.insideireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/ext/emigration001/category/1084

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And that was up to April, nearly 6 months ago. The trend is downwards for adult numbers(concurs with Labour Force survey released also today), upwards for children numbers due to record birth rate.

Less people working to maintain more children, its like the early 80's again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 butterormayo

gurramok wrote: »
    And that was up to April, nearly 6 months ago. The trend is downwards for adult numbers(concurs with Labour Force survey released also today), upwards for children numbers due to record birth rate.

Less people working to maintain more children, its like the early 80's again!

18,000 is actually a pretty small number considering the state of the country, even during the height of the Celtic Tiger there were still c25,000 people leaving every year AFAIK, the number of mortgages is probably stopping people from leaving as is the lack of jobs elsewhere, but if unemployment is meant to peak at 15%-17% in 2010 and only slowly decline after that the numbers leaving are going to go way up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think it is much worse now.

I know this is only anecdotal, but...

Two months ago I tried to rent out a room in my apartment. Normally I would get hundreds of responses for the room, but this time I got none. I reduced the rent to €495 (which is excellent for 1 - 2 minutes walk from Grafton Street) but only got 5 responses.

I don't believe this is simply because of more competition (€495 was by far the cheapest rent for an equivalent room on daft) but because there are less people living here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Is there a break down of where these people are going? What countries exactly? Contemplating emigrating but im not sure i see the point of it as most countries are doing pretty badly at the moment.

What exactly do they mean by emigration? Would they include something like the OZ WHV in that category for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

I am slightly confused by the figures too. 65,000 have emigrated, 30,000 are Eastern European, 18,000 are Irish which leaves 17,000 remaining? Who are these 17,000?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

macca1983 wrote: »
    Who are these 17,000?

People who aren't from Ireland or Eastern Europe? France, Spain, Brazil, China...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

...UK, US...

Advertisement